[Suggestion] Making the Lodestar module one the Galaxy more viable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PopeVitalian, Feb 13, 2023.

1. PopeVitalian

Over the last few months, I've been trying to make the Galaxy or more specifically the Lodestar module on the galaxy work around various continents and in different situations. So far the best uses for it were on Oshur, Hossin and Esamir, the remaining continents are much too open and don't provide any meaningful benefits to using the Lodestar compared to a Sunderer except on some very specific mountainous regions.

The best use of the Lodestar on Hossin is deployment in the trees above the bases, on Oshur below the water and on Esamir the use of the Lodestar is primarily reserved for the north-eastern bases next to the shattered warpgate. All of the uses here work because they put the deployed galaxy in a location where it is not easily accessible by the same vehicles that would ordinarily destroy a sunderer. In turn a galaxy deployed in such a spot is easily spotted by enemy air vehicles (also sea vehicles in case of Oshur) which at least in my mind is a reasonable and a good trade off.

Since the main use of the lodestar galaxy (apart from on Oshur) is focused around putting the galaxy on various high altitude and not easily accessible spots, the new issue that arrises is the lack of fall damage immunity on people that spawn on a lodestar galaxy. This can be easily avoided by just entering the galaxy and then jumping of the tree for example but it requires a player to know that and most don't. So what I suggest here is that spawning on a Lodestar Galaxy grants you a longer fall damage immunity by default without entering the galaxy (it needs to be longer so people can make their way down the various spots to the ground level)

A more ambitious change that could help solidify the use of the Lodestar Galaxy on all continents however, is to allow it to deploy mid air much like the new bastion mode. This change would allow the Lodestar Galaxy to be used on most if not all bases. To balance it out it would need to have an altitude limit but not too low so it would be easily shot at by the ground vehicles. Its main enemy should still be the air vehicles much like how it is now when it is used optimally.
    • Up x 2
  2. EWanderer

The drop protection on spawn seems like a no brainer.
    For the air, I wouldn't actually don't go for an altitude limit given rocket launchers and lack of ability to repair. Rather I could imagine a scaling drop per minute based on height: So on ground regular sunderer, within rocket launcher range like half rate and after that rapidly falling off.