Make the Mag-burner Omni-Directional

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Adinatore, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Adinatore

The Mag-burner, when compared to the other two ES abilities, isn't very combat oriented. The Vanguard shield is a combat ability since it gives you temporary damage mitigation. The Prowler's lockdown is a combat-support ability since it allows for increased DPS at the cost of movement. Unlike the shield, however, lockdown isn't very easy to use in 1v1 engagement. Additionally, the Prowler is fairly exposed while locked down and thus requires support to be fully effective.

When one looks at the mag-burner, however, it can be seen that the Mag-burner is not very offensively designed. In terms of combat, you can use it to rapidly close gaps and climb hills in order to get better angles of fire. You can also use it to escape a fight but that does not contribute to your ability to actually kill an enemy tank.

If the Mag-burner is made omni-directional, however, the Mag-Burner would be able to compete with the other two ES abilities combat wise. I'm not saying that the Mag-burner is inferior in general; the issue is that the Mag-burner doesn't contribute very much to an offensively oriented Magrider. The Mag-burner as it currently is has numerous good uses but few combat application.

Ideally, an omni-directional Mag-burner would provide 100% of the current speed boost forward, roughly 60-70% side boost, or 40-50% boost if used in reverse. This would make it more useful in actual combat as opposed to a general utility.
  2. Flag

How about no.

If it's worth using, it's -by definition- overpowered (because evasion is binary - it either words/is op, or it doesn't)
    If it's not worth using, then what was the point?

Edit:
    Instead, making the current one have more fuel/last longer/be stronger, or all 3... Now that would be a good change. Speed boosts are only balanced because they're only applicable in a single direction (usually forward, and the ESF has to faff to change from forward to hover, which takes time and is telegraphed visually). Allow them to boost in more than one, especially in opposing directions -and- making it worth using over Fire Suppression, or the current burner would mean it's overpowered.
    If it's not worth using, then it's not strong enough to be significant, and then making it omni-direction still didn't do anything to make it have an impact on combat.

And then what?

No, it's a bad idea. Not to mention it would end up a required cert for the Mag (if it is worth using), which flat out shouldn't be the case for any single cert-line where you have options between several.

Ever. And saying <insert certification here> is "mandatory" for other vehicles doesn't mean it actually should be. Those are problems too.
    • Up x 2
  3. Alarox

I only think an omni-burner would work if you specifically built a new ability based upon that concept. Simply making it work in all directions as it is now is, as Flag said, too strong or too weak.

I think the Magburner just needs to recharge faster and maintain momentum after the initial burst like the Harasser does.
    • Up x 2
  4. NCDaniel

Vanguard shield is poop.
  5. Brahma2

Absolutely not. That would be a completely useless, stupid buff that would do nothing at all for Mag players.
  6. Maelthra

Should just replace the Magburner with something else entirely :cool:
  7. Brahma2

You already can.
  8. Maelthra

I meant replace the Magburner ability with a completely new ability. I've already switched to using Fire Suppression in place of Magburner, but that kinda makes me a little :(. When I pull a Vanguard or Prowler I always pull it with the ES ability. I don't feel that way with Magburner. Granted, I haven't used the Vanguard or Prowler that much at all (don't think I've really spent all that much time with the Magrider either, despite how many certs I've dumped into it), so maybe I just haven't gotten past that 'New ES Ability' smell, yet.

I saw someone suggest somewhere awhile back that ES abilities should be baseline (the tank always has them), so that you can also pick Fire Suppression or IR Smoke or whatever else is in that slot. Personally, I rather like that idea. ES Abilities should help add flavor to the ES vehicles, so having them baseline instead of having to be picked over something else seems like a good thing to me.
  9. Flag

A magrider without magburn loses out on a lot of fun.

Yes I'm justifying the 'burner over FS because of fun.
    • Up x 1
  10. Boompadu

The anchor gives the prowler more firepower.
    The shield gives the vanguard more survivability.

... And the magburner gives the driver of the Magrider a way to quickly respawn at a different place.