[Suggestion] Make Fire Suppression Automatic

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Foxirus, Oct 9, 2014.

1. FBVanu

Nah, C-4 is overpowered
  2. Foxirus

Do you know how rare this situation is though? To have 3 heavies in the same area who decided to sacrifice massive DPS just to go AA.. Its pretty much an unseen thing. As a matter of fact, I probably see a blue moon more than I see another heavy carrying an Annihilator.
  3. Alkezo

I run AA lock-on full-time on my heavy, that is, besides Lancer. So I sacrifice some potential damage against MAXs and vehicles, it matters very little in terms of how many rockets it takes. That and AV grenades are pretty useful. Also, teamwork OP. A single lock-on heavy can easily catch an ESF off guard when you throw in a Burster MAX too. So many times an ESF thought he could time his strafing run against the Bursters but didn't take into account the lock-on and I get the kill. All because he decided to go Fire Suppression.
  4. Pondera

If it's not too out of place, may I offer a touch of realism to this conversation?

When fighting fires, it's not uncommon to throw a substance that cannot burn onto a fire. Baking soda, for instance, to combat grease fires. To my knowledge, certain types of metal DO burn, but only in extremely high levels of heat. In most cases though, it would be safe to smother it with metal, if available.

Which brings me to my point. In planetside, nanites are used for a great deal of things, but in this case, it makes a lot of sense to spray them on inflamed components. Once applied, nanites would form an airtight seal to keep things like electrical relays, plasma conduits (if you're Vanu), and Gauss capacitors (NC) from bursting into flames again. No air, no fire, y'know? Now, this also has the effect of reinforcing whatever just got sprayed.

So, in a way, fire suppression is working exactly as intended. It is literally spraying on an airtight layer of armor to stop fires and repair the ship. Also, it's really fun to use ^_^ saved my bacon more than once.
  5. Foxirus

That does not change the fact people are abusing the utility and it is overstepping the boundaries of other utilities. We also do not have any proof the "Fire Suppression" uses any form of Nanites. It needs to go back to being a situational utility like the rest of the vehicle utilities are. This is why it is chosen over all others, Mainly on ESF's. Its the be all end all of utilities because it currently has no situational requirement, which allows people to easily abuse it.
  6. ColonelChingles

You're wrong again... I have to use Fire Suppression because there are only two choices to pick from on the Lightning.

It's not that Fire Suppression is good. Proximity Radar is good. It's that Fire Suppression is one of two choices, and it just happens to be better than one other thing.
  7. Foxirus

You seem to be missing the part where I say "Mainly on ESF's".
  8. Foxirus

You most likely say that because you can only see faction balance issues, While I and many others can see common pool balance issues. "Fire Suppression" is a "Real, Genuine" problem because it is allowing pilots to use it outside of what it has been made for. It was made to be a last resort repair when your vehicle has caught fire, Not a freebie repair whenever the pilot wants to pad their health to mitigate incoming damage.

And another thing, You simply saying that it isn't a problem does not mean a thing. PROVE it is not a problem. PROVE that people are not abusing it by popping it the second they take damage to pad their health. You can't, Because thats exactly how its being abused. You have no sound argument against me.
  9. Alkezo

Still using that word again and still not knowing what it really means...
  10. Foxirus

"Fire Suppression"? That means Suppressing a fire that has started on your vehicle. It does not mean a freebie health gain that you can use to pad your health whenever you wish. Wanna keep posting? How about you actually try to argue my points instead of posting useless things.. Thats right, Its kinda hard to argue on the side of something you KNOW is being abused as a health pad whenever people want. "Fire Suppression" was never meant to be a health padding tool, It was meant to be a last resort tool that saves your *** at the last second, That final stand.
  11. Alkezo

How about this? Read my responses and you'd realize all you're arguing is semantics. You're so caught up on what it's called and ignore what its used for. How can you be so daft?
  12. Ronin Oni

No way I'd use it for 12% on an ESF...
  13. Ronin Oni

You claim this, yet it's design quite clearly is NOT made for that.

And if it was, then it'd be close to useless.

I can land on fire and repair anyways, do it a lot when Fire Supp is on cooldown or I don't have it.
  14. Axehilt

I see all types of legit issues, faction or not.

Your objection seems more concerned with the game changing to match your expectations, rather than accepting the fact that your expectations were wrong. So it doesn't feel like you're actually concerned about the balance, but getting the game changed to fit your false expectations.

Fire suppression used to match your expectations. It sucked. They improved it. Now it doesn't suck. That should be the end of the story.

The burden of proof is on the people suggesting something is true. For example I don't have to prove there isn't a god -- it's up to believers to prove there is a god. Without evidence, there is no proof and the claim is discarded. So fire suppression isnt a problem until you prove that it is.
    • Up x 2
  15. Foxirus

Here is your proof with an ESF used as an example:

A single heavy is locking onto your vehicle, A rocket is fired and you take the hit. You instantly use "Fire Suppression" and pad enough health to survive an another rocket before you are even brought to a flaming state. Because of this you are able to hover for longer and do more before you easily escape the fight once the second lock has started. It doesn't really matter though, Even if they second lock on hits, You have padded enough health to not even reach a burning status. During your run, You are pretty much through the cooldown of the utility, So it will be ready to go again in a matter of seconds, This is the abuse.

The utility is being used to pad health, When in reality it was meant to be used as a last resort escape that has you covered. When they buffed that utility, It got two buffs. I am suggesting they remove the buff that allows it to be used whenever as a health padding tool. Originally, If you used it with no fire, Nothing happened. That is how the utility needs to be. You can keep the 25%, I am not saying that needs to change.

The Dev's have the ability to check when a utility is used and can look into it for their own proof to see its being used as for health padding. I am pretty sure I have accomplished bringing this issue to light. I have given my proof, and I know you won't give yours. You can't give yours because you don't have any. All you can say is "It IS NOT being abused... Despite me using to pad my health".
  16. Foxirus

Actually that is exactly what it was made for when the utility was first released. If you used it without a fire, Nothing happened. When they buffed "Fire Suppression", They buffed it twice. For ESF's they gave it 25% health recover AND the ability to use it freely as a health pad whenever you wished. My goal is to take back one of those buffs to make it even with the other utilities so that it is not the end all be all of utilities. It wouldn't be useless in the slightest if they made it automatic and only usable while on fire, Thats just you wanting it to be the go to utility with no risks.

It would not lose its 25% health recovery with my suggestion, All that would happen is that it would automatically activate when a fire was detected, And could not be used when there is no fire.
  17. GaBeRock

As an ESF pilot, I'm willing to comromise: fire suppresion happens only when an esf gets set on fire, preventing abuse. On the flipside, all infantry AV and AA weapons are limited to 300m, to prevent the abuse of render range. This is fair, because fire suppresions is often needed to top off an esf's life when it's being pinged by infantry so NAR doesn't activate.
  18. Alkezo

That is not proof. The fact you can call an anecdotal padded-walled situation proof boggles my mind. Everything you've said assumes only 1 HA is locking onto you. You don't know how many HA are locking onto you. You can make a run and only encounter 1 HA and when you return there's 4. In fact, that's to be expected because this game isn't a damn rubber room with rules of engagement. Teamwork wins battles and you're ignoring the most important aspect of the game.
  19. Foxirus

Actually everything I have said is based on the fact that EVERY. EVERY. EVERY pilot who even knows remotely the flygame uses "Fire Suppression" as a free health pad the first second they hit 75% damage. That is an abuse of the system that is meant to be a last resort savior.
  20. Foxirus

I'll accept that trade off once they make all AA weapons that isn't a skyguard a real threat. That being said, The maximum range for homing launchers is 350m. But if you launch at anything less than 300m, A smart pilot will ALWAYS out run the shot. An even smarter pilot will simply fly lower to the ground, Causing the shot to instantly curve into a wall or even the ground. Lets not also forget that we still have to wait 3-5 seconds for a lock to happen. You know as well as I do that "Fire Suppression" is an end all be all utility. Its time to change that.