[BUG] Magriders Can shoot through shields

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AnnPerkins, Jan 4, 2013.

1. AnnPerkins

Magriders can drive up next to an invulnerability shield (like those under biolabs) and shoot right through it, killing infantry inside what is supposed to be a safe area. Either give every tank the ability to farm infantry in what should be safe areas or fix magriders.
  2. KraggTheGrim

Do you have any pics or video evidence of this? I am not saying that it dosn't happen, I have never seen it done.
  3. AnnPerkins

I've never recorded anything before but I'll try and give it a shot. It happens with great regularity at biolab fights.
  4. Nofreenames

seen it happen alot myself, spawn see a room full of dead teammates then die while in tube to mag fire, I havent stuck around to record since I dont want to feed the guy any more XP...
  5. Compass

I have footage of it from a few days ago. VPC going right through and destroying me on my Flash when the shield was visible to me and vice versa. The splash damage is also going through. I know for a fact that Prowler shells do not punch through the shields.
  6. Phyr

Pretty sure the other tanks can do that too.
  7. hostilechild

This is probably related to a clipping glitch. Typically around sharp angles you can fall through the world/see through objects. Which means you can also shoot through the same area into another area as your client/server doesn't register a shield/wall between you and target. Also similar to going under world/objects creating clipping issues. Been some videos showing it.

Shells can also cause blast damage through shields and walls. With max flak it doesn't kill me but does do a lot of damage in some spawn tubes and especially at spawn shield doors. Some spawn buildings are just poorly designed walls behind the tubes.

Have seen lag cause this also, a magrider go through the shield shoot, but then appeared outside the shield. His shell however killed those inside.
  8. Serval

I know that if you're far enough for the shield not to render, you can shoot through it (which may account for some of these claims), but I wouldn't be surprised if you can jam your cannon through the shield and fire as well.
  9. KhazGrey

Had this happen to me as well also watched a LA VS do this through the upper outer ring sheild at a bio lab. Just report it and hope SoE does something to fix it.
  10. Grotpar

Fact, eh?

At the start of the video, a Prowler shell punches through and hits my Lightning.
    Towards the end, it happens again.
    At the end, I'm taking splash damage from a prowler shell.

Unfortunately, I didn't think of filming what happened before(my lightning nearly being destroyed because of shells constantly going through the shields.)

I'm convinced that this is a thing that affects all tanks, not just the Magrider or Prowler.

I wasn't going to upload this video because of the poor quality, and the presented information not being conclusive enough. But I'm not allowing this thread to turn into yet another VS hate thread.

On a side note, the Liberator's shredder gun is also capable of shooting through the shields.
  11. Compass

Well then, I know for a fact my Prowler does not shoot through shields, seeing as I was attempting to intimidate a Lightning behind a gate shield yesterday that was farming the infantry blowing up the Generator. When the Generator did go down, then the Lightnings were destroyed.
  12. 13lackCats

Seriously-

If you're a Shield Matador, you're playing so little of the game that the value of your opinion is just one step up from a spawn campee.

That's still less than zero.
  13. TheVakman

It is still nice to know. I doubt he is just sitting there watching this happen all the time.
  14. Compass

I had honestly just driven in there with my Flash and was trying to find out which direction the enemy Sunderer was so I could attach C4 to it when I was instagibbed through the field...
  15. Poodle

Yes, I have tested it before I can confirm the magrider can shoot through things. Haven't tested it with other tanks.

Here is how it happens. Take a mag and drive it straight into a shield, you will see your cannon stick into the shield a little bit. Its harder to do with the VPC due to the shorter barrel length. Can also be done through certain walls and objects aslong as they are thin enough.

I believe it is caused by where the actual projectile is spawned from. The projectile spawns at the tip of the cannon, so if you get your cannon through something you can shoot on the otherside.
  16. Compass

If that were the case, the Prowler could shoot through everything, as its cannon extends past the front of the tank o_O
  17. Aelloon

Nothing to do with Magriders.

Remember, if something doesn't render for you it doesn't exist in this game. If a wall/shield doesn't show up and you shoot an enemy in that direction the shot will go through it. If you later drive closer and the shield appears then it won't go through anymore.
  18. Compass

He was right next to the shield. He was not sniping from 500m away. I know about the render issue.
  19. Aelloon

Perhaps he was using an exploit to make the shield not render then? Because I've done the very thing you speak of many times and it does not shoot through it.
  20. FateJH

Client-side can have issues with shields for some reason. It's a fairly rare occurrence but there are times when you can shoot through the shield by complete accident. No special angles, no maneuvering tricks, the game just memontarily forgets there's this translucent wall there.

This has nothing to do, mind, with splash damage problems. That's just the game being sloppy.