[Suggestion] Magrider: let's stop pretending.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vivicector, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Flag

Aircraft?
    How about over-shooting ground targets all the time? :p
    "Let's account for drop and ... nope that's magrider thinking, not vanguard" - shot missed.
    • Up x 1
  2. Calisai

See projectile coming, dodge projectile = impossible.

Anticipate projectile coming and/or continuous dodging = missed shots.

Why? CSHD... You are seeing the projectile on your screen about 1 second later than the where actual projectile is. So you can't wait until you see it to dodge it.. you have to be actively dodging prior to seeing it.

That's why its best to get used to firing while strafing... this includes strafing in a figure eight (forward and back, while making corrections for elevation while in your normal firing rhythm.

If you are sitting still... firing at a prowler/vannie... then see the shot coming... you've pretty much already been hit. You HAVE to dodge the whole time you are engaging in order to make it difficult for them to hit you.
  3. Van Dax

the point was to easily explain visually.

there is the problem that the in game physics mean you can't even preemptively dodge, but it is quite easy to exploit the lack of general knowledge of in game physics and aiming skills of the average opponent.
  4. Alarox

I'd like to reply to you whole post when I'm not rushed for time, but I'd like to point out that I do trust your opinion more than anyone else regarding the Magrider.

Also, since I saw this discussion going on, I've been able to actively dodge shots with my Vanguard against AP lockdown Prowlers. At worst, consistently strafing and changing directions means that your opponent might fire and you just so happen to change directions at the perfect time, which equates to passively dodging. At best you can anticipate the shot and move at the perfect time and, with the proper distance between you, actively dodge the shot.

I know it isn't always a practical or reliable thing, but it certainly is a factor in many fights.
  5. Flag

You are quite right here, in a sense.
    It's more down to "luck", although skill, as in distracting movement, do influence the outcome.
    But I'm sure you've noticed that it's in no way reliable on -your- end, and depends a lot on the other guy having lacklustre aim.
    • Up x 1
  6. FaLI3N

There is no dodging, only duping. I used to use it to its fullest extent with rival before swapping to rival, still by no means reliable or a game changer.

One does not simply dodge a good lockdown AP prowler
  7. Harry Dresden

Of course the numbers are accurate. Bugs may result in a change to the desired effects but the number of kills for A2Am or strikers accurately reflected what was happening.

I do have a feeling that you're talking about the intended numbers for weapon stats etc. I'm referring to in game actual data.
  8. Schwak

No what I'm saying is that 1 weapon totally unrelated can effect the stats of another weapon. Strikers being OP for 6 months skewed stats for rotary kills since they would usually ignore flares and fly through terrain. One striker volley brings an ESF from full to 20% health, ESF flies in and picks it off. Tons of different things effect the outcome of these death spreadsheets not just 1 weapon vs another weapon.
    • Up x 2
  9. Slumlord722

So wait...you want a general mag buff at the same time that they are more likely than not nerfing the vannie shield?

Come on guys, you have to at least *pretend* you'd like a balanced game, rather than consistently proving the Higby-Vanu-OP maxim.
    • Up x 2
  10. Kriegson

Pretty much this. Once again, lets wait and see what the balance patch brings before lobbying for more changes.
    • Up x 1
  11. Flag

Again, a lot of the forum regulars are being rather quiet about it, for now.
    Just waiting for something interesting to land on the PTS.
  12. TheBlazing

The Magrider underperforms in its Main Battle Tank role... it cannot hold the line because the other 2 tanks are simply better at doing that. The Vanguard has more armor and much faster shells, the Prowler has higher DPS (due to shooting twice), faster reloads and faster shells. The Magrider has no real advantage when it comes to holding the frontlines like an MBT should do. The other 2 MBTs can also act as mobile cover for infantry, further reinforcing their role as frontline holders, while no sane Vanu soldier would ever take cover near a Magrider due to their tendency to murder everyone in a 5-meter radius around them.

Instead, the Magrdier really shines in a harasser-like role, thanks to its hover, Magburner, super-stable cannon and disregard for the generally accepted laws of physics, it can go where no tank has gone before to attack from unexpected angles and hit the weak point (rear) of enemy tanks for MASSIVE DAMAGE. It is more suited for well-aimed hit and run than for holding the line, a bit like a harasser or even like an ESF (fun fact: according to the lore, the Scythe is a scaled-down Magrider).

So we have:

> Prowler > MBT
    > Vanguard > MBT
    > Magrider > ESHH (Empire-Specific Heavy Harasser)

The Magrider is not a bad vehicle in itself. In fact, it's a very good ESHH. It's just that Vanu players would like an MBT that can reliably hold the line and cover the advance of infantry troops.
    • Up x 1
  13. deggy

We use the battle-bus Sunderers for that right now. That and Lightnings. I think the VS use more Lightning AP than the other factions.

The real issue for me is that the ESHH as you call it doesn't have a niche. There are no other ESHHs for it to kill, and it's not supposed to go toe-to-toe with a "real tank", so what exactly is the Magrider supposed to do? Farm infantry?

I'd like to be able to kill armor. Armor that's not horrible at the game. Most enemy tanks I kill in my Mag are just bads that hopped in an MBT and nothing more.
    • Up x 1