Magazines are not clips!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JohnGalt36, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JohnGalt36

This may be a silly thread to start, but why does everyone here call magazines clips? Everyone talks about clip size and one-clipping, and nobody ever gets corrected. It may not matter, but it's basically the same thing as calling the Flash a motorcycle or something.
    Here's a video I found after two seconds of searching to help you understand.

You're welcome!
    • Up x 3
  2. AlterEgo

Clips are a thing of the past...

3D printed bullets are next:p
  3. JohnGalt36

You can probably already 3D print bullets. The casing, however, would be problematic.
  4. Hatesphere

First off, why would you even want to 3D print a bullet? standard manufacturing already makes them cheap as hell.

I've been over this a few times with people in threads before, most people just dont care it seems.
    • Up x 1
  5. JohnGalt36

For the lulz. I guess I know people that collect old tire balancing weights, melt the lead down, and cast them into bullets. That's almost like 3D printing, right? It's really only the Elmer Fudd types with their revolver loads, but still...
    • Up x 1
  6. AlterEgo

Maybe so. But if we manage to 3D print some .44 Magnums, I'd be a very happy guy; 9mm's suck azz. Let the military be cowboys for once!:eek:
  7. JohnGalt36

LOL, ABS plastic + .44 Magnum pressures = a bomb.

9mm gets the job done. Ask people who have been in a gunfight what they wish they had. They never say bigger bullets, they say more bullets.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hatesphere

I wouldn't call it like 3D printing, its actually cheaper then getting a bullet 3D printed and has been in use since people were lobbing musket balls around. I would call it colonial period bullet manufacturing with a red neck twist, bonus points if you have a rig to do it at a camp fire.
    • Up x 1
  9. JohnGalt36

No, dude, we are way more redneck where I'm from. The thing I've seen around here looks like this.
    • Up x 1
  10. Mythologicus

Unfortunately the term 'clip' has been misused so much that it has basically become common knowledge in video games that any weapon that requires a reload at any point uses a 'clip', even if the weapon clearly uses a magazine or even a drum magazine. Hell, it doesn't even need to be any of the above. It can be an RPG and it's still a clip. It can be a belt-fed HMG and it's a clip. It is so far gone that at this point if you refer to it as anything OTHER THAN a clip, you're incorrect where video game logic is concerned.

You want to know where it gets really crazy? Unreal, 1998. The 'Automag' weapon (it's in the name) is basically a fully-automatic handgun using, guess what: A magazine. However, the in-game ammunition pickups for the weapon are named clips, not magazines

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. 'Bullets' in the above link refers to a literal belt of ammunition. Apparently the Automag is also belt-fed as well as using clips. THE LOGIC IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE.
    • Up x 1
  11. Taemien

Having 3 different firearms that fire .44mags, Henry Repeating Rifle, double action revolver 8" barrel, and single action revolver 10" barrel and serving in the military.. I'd say I'd rather have a M1911. Get just a few more shots and way easier to reload. 9mm is nice and all, but sometimes there's just a big mutha that needs a bigger round to silence.

I do carry a .357mag 5 shot revolver for conceal carry though. If I need more than that where I live, then I probably should have brought one of the assault rifles :p

Not everyone that develops games has served in a capacity where they'd use magazines or even have gone to a range with them. I typically just smirk and nod my head whenever someone refers to them as such.
    • Up x 1
  12. JohnGalt36

Do you live in Alaska? I live near grizzly country, but I only carry a revolver when I'm out hunting or hiking. Otherwise, my EDC weapon is a Springfield XD .40sc.
  13. VXMorte

Got a few seconds in and felt bad cos I started imagining the dueling banjos from deliverance :p
  14. ColonelChingles

You can't blame SOE/DBG... they're HQ'd in San Diego, in the land of Kommiefornia.

We're not allowed to have anything nice out here. :(
    • Up x 1
  15. Taemien

NC, though I don't really carry often.. only when I go to the range. Its not really needed, but I don't need a reason to have a permit other than I was born. :D

I'll leave it at that before it gets too political.
    • Up x 1
  16. CorporationUSA

I call them clips solely because people get so upset about it.
  17. FieldMarshall

Because they dont care, and everyone knows what they mean when they say clips.
    Its like when people dont use correct grammar or speak in a weird foreign accent.
    We all know what they mean even though its not technically correct, so it obviously wouldn't bother most normal people.

Its also been missused so much that people who grew up learning English on the internet (like me) dont know the difference.
    When i grew up i didnt know the difference between clips/mags, and at this point i dont really care if i dont know.
    We dont have a word for "clips" where i come from. Everything was a magazine, maybe thats why it was so hard to learn the difference.

Im still not 100% sure of the difference and dont mind if i type the wrong word.
    I usually just type mag, but use clip sometimes for describing things like "oneclip" (for example "The Vulcan oneclipped the Magrider" etc.)

However, whenever i use the word "magazines" im always reminded by the fact that i dont know, because of people like you who are somehow seriously offended and angry over it.
    They are both the thing with bullets you put in your gun. Thats all i ever needed to know tbh.
    I have never heard of anyone going "Can you hand me the clip?" and someone going "I have no idea what you what you are talking about"

Do you also hate people who say "your" instead of "you're"? So freaking ridiculous. Where does it end.
    You're welcome.
  18. HadesR

1st World Problems ....
  19. CorporationUSA

I think you mean people who write.
  20. ColonelChingles

It's a technical term. Shooting is both a profession, a sport, and a hobby. Like with every activity, there are certain terms specific to that. People who are familiar with shooting know the terms, and those who are not familiar do not.

Here's an equivalent example. Say I am discussing a game of chess. When I have the enemy king in danger but the king can escape, I shout "check mate". The problem here is that "check mate" is a very specific term, and I used the wrong term for that activity. This may cause people who are familiar with chess to look at me oddly.

It actually can result in problems where I am. This is because you often can use "stripper clips" to load a "magazine". Like so:

[IMG]

So if you ask me for a "clip", I'll give you the top bit so you can load your magazine with it. And if you really wanted a "magazine", you'd be in trouble. :p

Oh dear... :oops:

While you aren't technically wrong, there's a lot more than bullets that go into a clip or magazine!

[IMG]

The "bullet" is only a part of the entire "cartridge". If you loaded up a magazine with nothing but bullets, then it would be quite useless (except maybe as a maraca or a paperweight).

And while we're at it...

In the image below, the dart/projectile is not a "sabot".

[IMG]

The "sabot" is actually the three pieces that are flying off of the dart.

However many people refer to the projectile as a "sabot"... as in "load sabot" or "fire a sabot at them". This is pretty much incorrect. I mean you technically are firing the sabot at the enemy... but that's not what (usually) kills them.

The confusion stems from long acronyms like "Armour-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot". Someone looks at that and figures that the first five words must be adjectives and the last word must be the noun. Thus they associate "sabot" with the dart projectile, because that's what you're actually shooting.
    • Up x 2