Low CPU utilization issue

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by cruczi, Nov 19, 2019.

1. cruczi

I don't understand why the game is not using more of my CPU even though my GPU is nowhere near 100%. In a typical small fight my fps drops from 120 (which is what I get with no people around) to somewhere between 60 and 100. But my GPU util is maybe 50-70% and CPU util 40-50%. No CPU thread is being used to 100% so it's not like the CPU is being bottlenecked by a single primary thread. What should happen, ideally, is that GPU util keeps going up until it hits 100%, or until fps hits whatever limit is set (for me, there is no fps limit), or until there's a CPU bottleneck. But it doesn't look like a CPU bottleneck, so why is the GPU not 100%?

Anyone know if this is a config issue or something?

Specs
    GPU: RX 5700 XT (fairly new drivers)
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (not overclocked)
    RAM: 16GB 2800MHz
  2. Towie

Ryzen 5 is a 6 core 12 thread CPU - which would be absolutely perfect on applications that can take advantage of those threads.

PS2 isn't one of those applications (much like many of the older games).

PS2 loves Instructions Per Clock and high clock speed above all else - going above 4 cores sees barely any returns. Add to this the fact that the IPC on this generation of Ryzen is a fair bit behind intel and it will start to bog down when things get busy.

Overclocking WILL help.

(The fact that no thread is 100% is irrelevant - the Windows scheduler will move stuff around - if all threads were close to 100% then that would be a very well threaded application; something like Winrar or Cinebench for example - rarely games - and certainly not PS2).
  3. cruczi

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean "Windows scheduler will move stuff around?" The fact that all threads are 40-60% or so indicates all threads are being used to roughly the same degree, which means the application is well threaded, no? And since none of the threads is even close to 100%, there's no CPU bottleneck on any of the CPU cores. Are you saying CPU load pre thread in windows is basically meaningless when trying to figure out if there's a bottleneck - it could be 10-20% load on all cores and you could still have a CPU bottleneck?