[BUG] Loving PS2, Calling out QA with GU1

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shotgunjoe, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Shotgunjoe

First, let me preface this by declaring that I truly love PS2 and it is an amazing game that delivers an experience in FPS's that no other game can come close to currently.

With that being said, this latest update from a quality perspective is terrible. It almost seems as if, QA never even got to see or test this build before it went out the door, and if this is the case...then Higby & SOE, what were you thinking!

If not, then I need to call out the QA dept. So many obvious and glaring bugs in this latest update that should have been caught and fixed before going live. I have been a QA analyst for over 10 years and run a QA team for a software company, and I can accept that there are alot of variables in this game and not all can be accounted for, but what you let through is simply unacceptable.

Examples of what I am ranting about:

1-Players unable to enter vehicles after exiting, this is not a random fluke with certain vehicles for certain classes, it is occurring across the board and easily reproducible.

2- Running animations broken

3- New weapon animations broken

4- Alpha Squad weapons have no default sights, all of them

5- New items such as "horns" don't even work on the vehicles they were created for

Those are five very obvious bugs that anyone can detect in about 10 minutes of testing/gameplay. How could these be allowed to get through? I'm not sure if the fault here lies with inadequate testers, or if the Dev team doesn't take QA seriously as is the case with many dev studios. If it is the latter, SOE...wake up. Bad code going live will sink your player base as fast as poor design decisions or cheating or poor customer support. Bad code just frustrates your players and will eventually get to the point where they wont play, just as much as any of the other reasons I mentioned. If your QA is outsourced, then we are doomed as players anyways....because we wont ever get the level of professionalism we deserve as customers.

TL:DR- SOE and the PS2 Dev staff, please take testing and QA seriously, because the level of bad code being released is unacceptable for your paying consumers.
    • Up x 2
  2. PEETREE

Although the running animation is absolutely hilarious, it is very embarrassing for a QA dept. to miss.
    • Up x 2
  3. MrBloodworth

Yep, QA gets no food for the week.
    • Up x 1
  4. Shotgunjoe

Ikr, If I was them...I would be so embarrassed by that I would be motivated to publicly apologize to the community. :D
  5. Shotgunjoe

So what else is still broken with this latest update? I havent had a chance to login since wednesday and curious if I should still wait it out.
  6. Josh Developer

We're working on the fixes for these bugs.
    • Up x 2
  7. Metsuro

8. Shotgunjoe

Thanks for the update Josh, and buttpunch the QA lead for me. ;)
  9. Josh Developer

The team is looking at the pricing issue.

As for the QA team. We give them a lot of work, believe me. The game update had over 1000 bug fixes in it. It sucks when anything slips through, and believe me we all hate it when that happens. We'll get 'em fixed.
    • Up x 1
  10. jaxxice

that's understandable....but the running animation...? really man? you HAVE to run/walk to get to anything in-game! everything else is completely ok embarrassing but understandable.
  11. QuantumMechanic

Glad you love the game Shotgunjoe. I too love this game just as much as I'm critical about it.

The QA quality for game update 1 was pretty much standard fare for what we've seen with PS2. All throughout beta (and that makes it sound like it was a long time, when it only was a few months) updates were pushed out that introduced more bugs than bugfixes. Regression bugs were abound as well. But hey, it was beta so nobody complained (too much).

But then the game released in it's buggy beta state, and still we see hotfixes introducing more bugs than bugfixes.

I don't want to downplay the effort that development and QA put into such a massive game as PS2. But I also don't want to sugar-coat the fact that the issues you are pointing out are merely standard operating procedure thus far.
    • Up x 2
  12. Kethryl

I agree completely with QuantumMechanic and Shotgunjoe.

To introduce game-breaking bugs after a game has gone live is NOT acceptable. It appears as though that since the game has gone live, all of the development effort AND all of the communication with the community has dropped down to almost nothing. You cannot leave your customers in the dark like this.

Many people have played since it was first made available to the public, and have promoted this game via the most effective method available: word of mouth. They're doing this because they see a game with awesome potential. To snub them with a lack of communication and issues that make playing your character effectively is just plain wrong.

Please, SOE, fix these really nasty bugs.

Also:

- Random squad-wide client crashes. One moment, our squad will be moving, defending, attacking, or even sitting there doing nothing, and the Planetside 2 client will become unresponsive and crash. This has had a detrimental effect on our ability to defend and take over various waypoints. In a single day of gaming, I had this happen 4 times; since the big update this week (when it seemed to be introduced), it's happened to me probably a dozen times total. Many others have experienced similar disconnects. While we are happy that server-wide crashes appear to have been mostly eliminated, moving the problem to the end-user was NOT an acceptable fix. And to take out an entire squad at once? That really hurts.

Where is all our StationCash money being spent?
    • Up x 1
  13. Sturmhardt

You guys seem to be unaware of the fact that this is still beta :p
    PS2 should have never gone live so early, it's still horribly bugged and it still needs a looooot of polish. I see indie games that are longer in beta and are more polished than PS2.... like natural selection 2 for example, and those guys are only a 10 man team max.
  14. Metallideth

you mean open beta. Well 2013 should bring some better content/fixes
  15. bPostal

Can we get crazy legs back?