Lore: How does NC have more advanced weaponry than TR?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bluEyedillusions, Dec 20, 2012.

1. PyroPaul

Remember your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.
    • Up x 1
  2. Babaganoush

I'm more concerned about what Nanite Systems is doing with all the money they're receiving.
    • Up x 1
  3. bluEyedillusions

No no no. I said that real life (that is, the year 2012) can't manage practical gauss weapons. I am totally aware that in the PS2 universe they have the means to do it. I totally accept that in every way, shape and form.

Part of my original question was "when was Guass technology made? On earth prior to coming to Auraxis, or was it made after the colonization of Auraxis?" When I originally asked the question, I forgot there was still a thriving community of people to support the war; citizens, businesses, farmers, etc. Thus, I forgot the NC, despite not being linked to earth anymore, still had control of businesses and therefore researchers, engineers, etc. Thus, I assume it was made after the colonization of Auraxis and kept from the Terran Republic.

That answers question two: "Why isn't the TR using Gauss technology". As others have said, it's likely because A) the TR don't want to retrain their military and also B) the Gauss technology is probably most guarded by the NC engineers that made it. You now provide a reason C) Lowest bidders and their preferred munitions don't mesh with the tech.

Thanks!

Boring answer: Funding more and more research for better technology.
    Interesting answer: We're all screwed.
  4. Tenebrae Aeterna

Death isn't a factor upon Auraxis.

Lore wise, due to this fact, what decides the course of battle is typically whom has the most warm bodies and ammunition to throw at the enemy. With a perpetual source of troops through rejuvenation...you're left only with ammunition. The TR uses what works, but also what's cheapest and thus more abundant to ensure that they can outlast their adversaries.

Imagine if the United States had an ability to resurrect fallen troops, we'd be doing the same thing...utilizing weapons that did the job, but were easily mass produced and inexpensive to create. Why? Because saving lives would no longer be an issue...only getting the job done.

The NC follow a different mentality and seek to cause the most devastation for their buck. ...and the VS are like your alternative energy folk seeking to do away with traditional methods.
    • Up x 1
  5. PoopMaster

They don't feel like Gauss weapons as their bullets travel about the same distance as gun powdered weapons as far as I can tell.
  6. geckonator

Yeah, I think the reason the TR uses bullets instead of the more powerful gauss tech is the resources. The NC is corporately backed, and those corporations have access to rare materials necessary for those weapons. TR factories don't have those, and there's the statistics involved. The NC needs to maximize their kill to resource ratio because they're a rebellion with limited resources. The TR is a massive government that can afford to make bullets. devices in the gun can load bullets into the gun much faster than magnets in a gauss rifle can recharge to fire again. The TR probably feels that sending more bullets towards their enemies over a given span of time is a better way to pacify rebellion and look intimidating than having a single shot be accurate and lethal. The Vanu... they use lasers just because they can.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

Pretty much.
  8. SturmovikDrakon

^^^^^^

PLASMA

THEY USE PLASMA

T.Ray did mention (or rather hinted) that hey might become a threat

I would also like to mention, that there is no shortage of resources for either side. Nanites took care of that

"Over the course of the war, the adoption of "Rebirthing" technology and nanotech rapid-construction methods by all three Empires has effectively eliminated attrition from warfare for the first time in human history. As a result it is likely impossible that any Empire will ever achieve total victory."

Quite a scary concept really.
    The NC soldier in the cinematic did say "There is no death to free you from this war".
    • Up x 1
  9. Fox234

if I remember right PS1 and I assume PS2 lore said Gauss tech was developed by the NC after arrival.
  10. Kedric

Lore-wise I would imagine Gauss weaponry is a recent development for the NC on Auraxis, or maybe they took the plans for most of their weapons and devices with them, but hadn't built any before their revolt against the TR overlords. Gauss weapons are - again, lore-wise - flat out superior to anything the TR has, however, the NC are probably completely outnumbered by TR and typically 1 NC soldier = 5 TR soldiers or something such.

Of course, in game 1 NC soldier = 1 TR soldier, because it's easier to balance the factions if their strength is equal. Otherwise there would have to be server queues for NC players and a need to have a lot more TR soldiers on the battlefield in game to counterbalance the superior NC weaponry.

Likewise, Vanu tech is probably the best of all, while Vanu membership is the lowest of the 3 factions. Lore-wise the Vanu probably place a great deal of emphasis on fast, lightning strikes and raids in order to avoid direct confrontation with foes that outnumber them.
  11. Good53X

I'm more curious about the muzzle flash and gunshot sounds that come from our "Gauss" weaponry.

Want to know a secret? It's not gauss, it's just a toy gun from our morning cereal box (rawr!). We say that we use "Gauss" technology to instill fear in our enemies.
  12. vhauj

Well one theory maybe that Gauss weaponry has been already created on Earth, now for how long it's been around is unsure. But if you recall in the lore that many other advances were made by the Terran Republic as a whole, so the Idea that gunpowder weapons were created to be even more effective is not so farfetched. Meaning that the tried and true gunpowder weaponry was made to e on par with Gauss weaponry. So the Idea that two separate supply ships, one with gunpowder the other with Gauss, heading to Auraxis is not inaccurate. Of course all weapons on Auraxis were transfered then and non created until after the wormhole closed, leaving the weapons that each faction had already possessed available to them for duplication. And any Engineer that would have the knowledge of gauss weaponry would have joined the NC or had given the technology up and joined the VS.

This is all just theory of course. And stranger things have happened on reality.
  13. Bill Hicks

Maybe gauss weapons are weak against nano or electromagnetic shields that can easily push a gauss round while a regular round can bypass it.
  14. Lightwolf

Sure, electromagnetic weapons have NO flash or recoil....
    No, they do. Just because magnets does not exempt them from the laws of physics.
  15. Mirakk

You know, since Gauss rounds are so much faster than gunpowder rounds, and use electomagnetism.....

Technically NC wouldn't have any recoil.... and less bullet drop than TR.

;)
  16. Lightwolf

They would still have recoil. See above.
  17. Mirakk

Noticed after the fact. Thanks
  18. Cyridius

Gunshots sound the way they are because they break the sound barrier. I would imagine that the muzzle flash is an over sight but could be justified by saying it's not a "full" Gauss Rifle - initial ignition is conventional but is improved with gauss tech.
  19. Lightwolf

For the third time
  20. Cyridius

Showing me a video doesn't explain the physics to me. I watched it, but I didn't understand what's going on, on a scientific level, so that's my own stupid-person justification for it.

I find those slo-mo shots ******* awesome though.