Long Range Weapons - Low Risk, High Reward

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Firejack, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Firejack

Currently working my way through some Infiltrator Directives and with little practice I'm getting an extreme K/D. Its simply too easy to sit at range free from any real danger and rack up the kills.

This has got me thinking how many "OP" weapons have long range in common. Long Range is maybe something we could use to bring the worst offenders in line with their broken balance between Risk and Reward.

PPA for example fits perfectly into this category. The range allows you to command a wide area from a raised position with little danger of being attacked, nevermind destroyed. If the weapon added high risk to balance its high reward by making it a shorter range weapon it would probably balance the weapon better then any other changes could.

The same could be said for the bolt action sniper rifles, Banshee Mossie, deployed Prowler, Raven MAX, AV MANA turret and so on. Reducing the range of these weapons would probably help balance out the risk and reward so they are equally likely to kill as be killed.

Tricky part as I see it would be how you introduce that range reduction. Don't want to see projectiles magically disappearing mid air. Maybe severe damage drop off at range might help? Whatever is done we'd need to make sure its not too complex to understand.
    • Up x 1
  2. Champagon

Is this a thinly veiled nerf PPA thread? The PPA has already been nerfed, and snipers in ALL FPS's usually have a high K/D. It's par for course, if you find yourself on the wrong end of a sniper rifle then you either need to counter snipe, or go and find that sniper causing you to have a bad day
  3. pyradacor

Sniper rifles aren't a problem. Headshots with a sniper rifle aren't easy to get, especially from the range you're talking about. Skill is rewarded. I'm too used to sniping from DoD:S and CS:S. Sniping in this game is freaking foreign to me and I really haven't done any of it.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ronin Oni

Nothing should have more range than Knife.

100% skill gameplay

Also, Knife should OHK tanks. Balance.
    • Up x 14
  5. DrPapaPenguin

Low risk.

High reward.

Zero impact.

And if the target is moving pretty low efficiency too.
    • Up x 9
  6. Lamat

High risk that my airhammer reaves their sad little souls from close range. There is a food chain in place.
  7. HadesR

Considering render range is 300m for infantry .. It's not something I would really call " long range " in regards to Sniping ..
    • Up x 5
  8. ColonelChingles

Totally agree. Sniping might be a way to pad KDR, but it has a relatively low impact on a battle. Take the NC Bolt-Driver for example. It has an impressive KDR of 2.767, but a fairly low KPH of 18. The Longshot is slightly better, at 24. If you compare that to the NC's long-range carbines (AC-X11 or Razor) you see that those do better than the Bolt-Driver in terms of KPH and not that far behind an "expert" sniper rifle like the Longshot (not to mention that snipers might switch to sidearms when moving) (20-19). The long-range Reaper AR does even better at 24 KPH. But each of these has a lower KDR, at 1.391, 1.206, and 1.533 respectively.
  9. Octoknight

Well for me, using my light assault to jetpack to the top of Hossin's trees is dangerous enough.
  10. Matt879

Staying at range is the best way to get a high KD, that's just a fact. It's far easier to control engagements at a distance + skill is far more important than reflexes/luck. I usually get around a 3-4KD with my SMG infiltrator. Yesterday I started using the vandal and I'm getting a KD between 5-15 now depending on how much I'm trying. The amount of killstreaks I've gone on with this thing...
  11. GhostAvatar

I see what you're doing here. Trying to protect the PPA. By associating them as the same and being OP, when they are not. Hoping a few people will come to their defense and therefore justifie no nerfs on the PPA.
  12. Aegie

I think range reduction is a problem.

Damage degradation over distance is too strong IMO- it contributes to meh gameplay and is far from realistic. The basic function for the impact of a projectile is the mass of the projectile and the speed of deceleration (a function of the velocity of the projectile, it's shape/size, and the rigidity of the mass the projectile impacts). Mass does not change over distance and the loss in velocity due to air resistance is entirely negligible at any practical distance.
  13. LibertyRevolution

If only light assaults could use scout riffles.. oh the tears.. but alas, I am stuck playing infiltrator to use this awesome weapon.
    • Up x 1
  14. Matt879

I like it when it actually works for me. Maybe it's just me or lag, but for some reason it feels like the ADS COF bloom on it is absolutely horrendous.
  15. Axehilt

Sniper Rifles just barely have high enough KPH to be worth it, plus they can only kill infantry (the least important class in fights where sniper range is possible.) Racking up a high K/D is almost entirely irrelevant, because typically it comes at the cost of KPH and a high-K/D low-KPH player is basically useless.

That said, I feel that long-ranged AV weapons with smaller render range and smaller profiles, especially the ones with pinpoint accuracy, should be reduced in power at range, but improved up close. Basically AV turret, vortex, fracture, raven, and lancer.

PPA also should get reduced, mostly since I think tank AI secondaries shouldn't have the range that the PPA has. Mostly it's that the tank can sit back a long ways and snipe infantry without fear of reprisal.

(Probably worth noting that the Light PPA (ESF) is close to fine and reasonably balanced with the Banshee. It's easier to deal with aircraft than a tank, as one observant Burster can strongly limit an ESF's ability to bring those guns to bear. Still, I mentioned in another thread that maybe the NC deserve a version too, since the air hammer is fun in its weird unique role but doesn't really fill the gap that the NC need. And overall for AI noseguns I wouldn't mind seeing them reduced slightly since they really are a bit on the strong side.)
  16. iller

Longshots are the only one that qualify for your rant, and every faction abuses them whether it's the RAMs or Parallax too.
    Their clips are too big and their rechamber times are too low. They should be 3 shots per clip...
    ...and half the rechamber time of the basic BASR's.

All other BASR's, Railjack & Phaseshift especially.... have Bad SPM's and surprisingly low KDR's too if you look at their average stats on D.A. Infact the only Sniping weapons with decent SPMs + KPUs are the longshots, Vandal, & the fully-auto scouts.... And speaking of fully auto-scout rifles, some of the SMG's are also really effective beyond 30m and have no downsides for medium range fighting.
  17. Klypto

Who Cares.
    • Up x 3
  18. Ronin Oni

Seriously.

If OP wants to boost K/D he should roll in an AI farming vehicle

works just as good but 10x faster
    • Up x 1
  19. NC_agent00kevin

The Vandal is the only weapon I even care to use as Infiltrator now. Ironsights all the way, used at medium range is devastating. If your aim is good, you can 1v1 Heavy Assaults and win face to face. Something about me and this gun just click. It really isnt too bad at hipfiring for what it is either. Quite a few times Ive been caught with my pants down and still came out on top. My Outfitmates think Im crazy for strictly adhering to ironsights on it, but its an awesome weapon.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ronin Oni

It has beautiful Ironsights though...
    • Up x 1