Long range sniping with bolt action

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Nukrlaz, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Nukrlaz

I love to snipe from far away cause you have to consider bullet drop, and its easier to escape if you get your position revealed. The thing i dislike is that i tend to one shoot everything but not having a tool to measure distance makes me make 2 extra shoots to know with witch part of the sight should i be aiming with. Would be possible to implement something that lets you measure distance as an infiltrator. a number in the scope, binoculars, something. Because when i make those extra shoots my target normally changes its position. And i don't know i think it would had a different feel if i had a tool to measure distance and scout.
  2. Sworaven

This could be something you could cert into. As an utility perhaps?

I definitely understand where you're coming from. Unless you've certed into the ammo pouch, you've only got a short supply of bullets and it's a shame to waste them by measuring the drop off.
  3. Moxin

• Up x 1
  4. Nukrlaz

5. Nukrlaz

A cert would be nice. And i don't know it would give the infiltrator a different feel at least for me :)
  6. Moxin

The 12x scope has a mil dot system for range calculation but I did read the 8x and 10x not at all. The formula is posted in the thread, didnt see any laser range finder in this game and in the shop so far. Not sure if a calculation is even viable in this game.
  7. Krazykatboy

And even if it is, by the time you get halfway down the 12x scope's dots, you're looking at distances where infantry aren't even rendered.
  8. PanzerGoddess

tbh u really dont need anything like that. Just give it time and practice, no one said you had to shoot at people to practice your bullet drop etc. Learn to shoot decals or small objects from a distance. You should try to learn how to aim and shoot at your target within 2 seconds and move to a diff location even if it is 5 ft away, or using an object to hide in and out of.

Start small go big. Shoot at objects in a stationary position, once you feel the hang of it or are ready to move on, start strafing or using objects and practice that way. I should post a video of this someday, just to lazy too.

Just get used to the drop, it takes time but you will get the hang of it. Shooting on the fly or during hectic situations you have no time to think, learn it and you will be thankful.
  9. Catashe

A distance calculator would be so nice for the bolt actions.. They could even make it a Rail attachment since the forward grip and Lazer dot is worthless for the bolt actions anyway. They can even make it cost the same as the other Rail attachments, 100 certs
    • Up x 1
  10. Trahelion

The personal waypoint can help you with that. just put one up close to where your enemies are at and you'll know the range :)
    • Up x 1
  11. Nukrlaz

Yeah but you will loose that role playing feeling, to give it a name >,<
  12. Toshogu

It's called setting your personal waypoint. Open map, right click on the spot in question, set waypoint. Instant range finder.
    • Up x 1
  13. VKhaun

I understand where you're coming from better than these guys do I think. You want to be able to predict where the shot will go rather than get a 'feel' for it because you usually only get one good shot and it needs to be a headshot. You only carry 5/25 as well, so firing test shots or missing a few times before getting it right isn't optimal and both waste ammo and can give you away.

Still, I have to disagree. I find no such need because the bullets seem to be the size of a freaking football.

I just aim for the head if it's big, use the first mil dot if it's small, and the second mil dot if the head is the same size or smaller than the mildots, and it gives me a headshot every time... I know there is more variation in distance than that and I would normally be right there with you asking for a range finder so I could work out the zeroing and pick a mildot before firing, but right now it seems like the bullet is just so big that the margin of error is too large to notice the benefit of our preparation.
  14. Timeraider

I would like to see an attachement like this:

Laser measurement:
    This special laser is to be attached to the barrel. While active (you can turn it on and off with L) it will tell you the distance to the first obstacle the laser hits on the right side of the screen (even while scoped).
    Now you would think.. everything has its advantage and its disadvantage.. so.. disadvantage: Everyone, including enemies, can see the laser while activated making it way easier to spot you while determining the distance.
    • Up x 1