Logestics needs to matter-Redeploy needs removed & replaced

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by axiom537, Jun 27, 2014.

1. axiom537

Logistics needs to matter, the current redeploy system almost completely removes the need for logistics. If a base is being over run, its not an issue because you just need to put a reinforcement marker on the base in question and defenders pour in utilizing the redeploy option. No logistics is needed. No need to grab a grab a Galaxy, sunderer or other vehicle to move to the base under attack, just redeploy where ever the troops are needed.

The Attackers however, need to bring in a sunderer, Galaxy or well positioned Squad beacon or push from the closest base they own. While all the defenders need to do is make sure more defenders hit the redeploy button, then there are attackers at the base.

What I purpose...
    - Completely remove the redeploy option
    - Replace it with an option for players, outfits or platoons to bind to a base or outpost. This will allow the players then to make attacks or defend at other points on the map, but rather then being able to redeploy at any base that needs reinforcement, they are only able to redeploy to the Warpgate, or the base that they have committed to defend by binding to it.

If a base is falling and it is not in the current lane they are fighting or that they are binded to, then they will need to use logistics to coordinate how to move troops to defend that base.

This "everyone hit redeploy, there are 2 squads at Base X and we have 1 min to re-secure" has too end.
    • Up x 5
  2. Tommyp2006

I agree that reinforcements needed needs to be removed, but I think we should be less restricted on re deploying farther back the lattice line, without jumping lines.
    • Up x 2
  3. axiom537

I would be ok with being able to move forward and backwards in a lattice line. But being able to shift from one side of the map to the opposite side of the map at a moments notice is too much.

If players commit to a fight in one area they should, be forced to need a vehicle to move to another section of the map. OR at the very least get their squad leader to the base that needs defending and have him put down a spawn beacon that they can deploy on...
  4. Thelarian

Planetside 2 isnt a strategic game, its not a tactical game, its not even a combined arms game. Its just a glorified team death match. Instead of spawning in a round you drive for 10 minutes from one base to another. Whether the base is captures or lost doesn't matter, whether you win or lose an alert doesn't matter. There is no consequence for either victory or defeat. There isn't even consequences for losing resources. In order to make it a strategic, tactical combined arms game it needs to be completely redesigned from the ground up. Thus limiting spawn options would just make the game more annoying and greatly reward uncontested zergs.

TL;DR Take this game for it is: a glorified TDM. We might get new weapons, vehicles and even continents but the core gameplay and meta will never change, especially if you consider how little SOE managed to accomplish in 2 years.
  5. axiom537

I would rather offer solutions to improve the game and make it better. Coordinating an attack with troops, transportation and a well positioned spawn points is great. Having those logistics & tactics defeated because the enemy can look at the map see how many attackers are there, how long till the point flips and simply give an order for troops to redeploy from anywhere on the map in 10 seconds and completely over run the attackers with 2x-3x the numbers is not fun...

If the defenders of that base gave up the lane to fight elsewhere, then they should suffer the risk of making that choice.
  6. HadesR

I would go further and add tickets to all spawns including Sundies and Gals ..

Tickets could be replenished by Supply vehicles.

Would allow for victory by attrition for the attackers in area's such as Biolabs, and also allow the defenders more options in dealing with a heavy zerg by hitting their " ticket " supply line.
  7. Sagabyte

Remove redeploy, keep instant action, but allow outfit-owned bases the following benefits:
    1. Permanent spawn availability unless the continent is locked, the base is taken, or the outfit ownership is transferred.
    2. -15% cost of everything at the base for an outfit.
    3. While fighting in the hex of that base, +15% XP.

There we go, increased logistics importance and the foundations of Outfit HQs.
    • Up x 3
  8. Mezinov

I absolutely agree binding needs to make a return from Planetside 1. It was such an absurdly simple feature that made an absurd amount of difference in the spawning logistics.

That said I do feel the current overall method of "redeploy maneuvering" has a place in Planetside 2, and makes sense given the "in game" technology that exists. Instead of getting rid of it, I think it would make more sense to balance it by associating a cost with it.

The lattice link ahead of, or behind, you should be free to redeploy to. This can get you back to setup defenses or join a fight quickly, and this is absolutely necessary from both a new player and casual player perspective.

However beyond this I think each lattice step afterwards should have a cost associated with it. Sunderers would be counted; they would simply count as part of the lattice of the hex they are in.

For example; Lets say you are at Rashnu Biolab on Indar.

Going to any of Rashnu's satellites would be "free"; simply wait the 10 second redeploy timer.
    Going from Rashnu to Rust Mesa Lookout (Rashnu - Rashnu Cavern - Rust Mesa) would cost (say) 25 infantry resources (one extra lattice link) and the normal 10 second timer.
    OR, You could redeploy to Rashnu Cavern, and then Redeploy to Rust Mesa for no cost in infantry resources, but a definite cost in time. Two redeploys, so 20 seconds.

Now lets say you wanted to go from Rashnu to Tawrich. The route through Rust Mesa is 6 steps, or from the Warpgate it is 7 steps. We will err on the side of player and say the system chooses the shortest route to charge you for.

The first step is free, so you are charged 5 steps at 25 infantry resources a step, giving you a cost of 125 infantry resources to redeploy from Rashnu to Tawrich instantly.

Alternatively you can do it manually and for free, but would end up spending 60 seconds (a full minute) redeploying to each base.

This allows for redeploy maneuvering to exist as a tactical and strategic asset, make it possible to have every spawn point on a continent available to a player (though I wouldn't list anymore in the menu on the left than is already listed), but puts hard limits on it.

If you want to get from Rashnu to Hvar instantly for that last second resecure, it is going to cost you in either resources or time - meaning you either pay to get there fast or have to pay enough attention to start the time consuming "march".
    • Up x 1
  9. axiom537

Good Idea, certainly better then what we have now. I really want to give vehicles a greater role in the game. If the penalty you propose would take the same or slightly more time then it would take for the players to redeploy to the Warp Gate, spawn a Galaxy and fly to the point in contention, then I would be cool with it.

There needs to be more risk to our choices. If one faction abandons or ignores one of its lattice lanes and the enemy wants to exploit that lane, then I think the defenders should be penalized for that choice. And that penalty should be the time & resources it takes for troops to get into vehicles and travel to that base from where ever they are on the map.
  10. MrMackey

removing redeploy solves nothing. /suicide is faster anyway. and you can not reinforce a base if no allies are there. theres your logistics.. get there so others can spawn there. if anything reinforce should be easier rather than harder.

and really... outfit perks? heres the problem. only one person in a group that takes a base is in an outfit. or just 2 ppl with different outfits. who gets those perks? it has the potential to start outfit wars. and gives nothing to those who dont want to join an outfit. or mabe an outfit drops a platoon on a base thats about to be capped to take the perks. its just a bad idea
  11. dstock

If the base I'm at is over run, why are my three options: spawn beacon there, spawn room there, or warpgate? What if I wanted to fall back a bit and pull a Skyguard.

I'm tired of playing SL shuffle. Everyone wipes at a base. We decide to deploy nearby and come back. Except, the SL can't deploy there, since it's not the 'front line'. So, someone else spawns there, we make them leader, then everyone else can spawn there.

Why is the SL the one person in the squad who has to spawn on the front lines? Why not let the SL spawn anywhere (under friendly control, obviously), and have his troops be allowed to spawn anywhere between his spawn, and the front line? Doesn't that make more sense.

+1
  12. axiom537

/suicice or redeploy are basically the same thing, the fact that /suicide is faster isn't the problem, its being able to traverse across the map in seconds. And yes you can redeploy, all the squad leader needs to do is put an offensive or defensive marker on it, that request for reinforcements will make it available to be deployed too.

I do not know what this outfit perk is you speak of. I suggest allowing any outfit, Platoon or individual player be able to bind to whatever base they would like to be able to redeploy on at any time. Multiple outfits would be able to bind to the same base...
  13. Tuco

Can't see out of the spawn room
    Can't redeploy

These things only reward the zergfits who for some reason enjoy rolling base after base clubbing baby seals.