[Vehicle] Lockdown Vs Manguard Shield.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dreez, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jake the Dog

People dont understand how to play to its strengths is the big issue though its not a god tank which people think it is which will get you rekt.
  2. Ronin Oni

WOAH! waht?!?

Magriders do NOT stack well.

What Magriders do do well, is float over lightnings. Instead of a line of say 6 MBT's we'd have 6 lightnings, and 2, MAYBE 3 Magriders floating over them. When you float over a tank though it's REALLY disruptive for aim though, and people shooting are more likely to hit something.

When you pack in Magriders though, it's a disaster.

Suddenly we can't dodge as we smash into each other. If we can't dodge any shells, the lowest DPS and lowest armor becomes suddenly very VERY apparent.

The Magrider needs more space than any other tanks or it's statistical disadvantages start to show, just like short range face to face brawl matches turn out the same (Magriders only win CQB tank battles by ambushing, which they're admittedly quite good at. That or a 2/2 vs a 1/2 for obvious reasons).

I avoid any concentration of friendly tanks like the plague. I've lost too many tanks to trying to be evasive only to smash into a friendly tank as an enemy fires and take the full brunt of the attack I can ill afford to take.

It IS nice being able to float over lightnings instead of them getting in the way though. That is definitely a boon of the hover tank.
    • Up x 2
  3. Ronin Oni

Don't attack a set APAP prowler head on.

duh

Where's the advantage? That APAP prowler is just BEGGING to get rekt from behind.

It's why you need Halberd Harassers/AP lightnings to flank.

Magriders can't attack a APAP head on either. It's suicide.

Don't take the enemy head on agains their strength.

It's like trying to rush around a rock to take on a VG head on when you know it has a shield ready. It's suicide. You're an idiot if you do that.
  4. Alarox

It's great how many TR think the Prowler sucks, many VS think the Magrider sucks, and many NC think the Vanguard sucks.

It warms my heart.
    • Up x 5
  5. Ronin Oni

Sounds like Balance to me :D

When all 3 sides are convinced they're somehow disadvantaged.

and in a way, they each have a point.... but they fail to look at the big picture or to consider their strengths.

If you play to your weakness against an enemies strength, WTF you expect? o_O
    • Up x 2
  6. Calisai

Or at the very least... only attack a set APAP prowler head on if they suck. (You should be able to tell after a few shots whether you can rush them or not... :) )

A good challenge and maybe a few moments of cursing followed by trying harder and/or smarter? Or is that only me and my affinity of CQC fighting? :eek:
  7. Ronin Oni

You stealth + Racer so I know you like to ambush, I'm guessing with a good Saron gunner as well....

I'm sure you engage at advantage more oft than not ;)
  8. Shockwave44

It doesn't need to. I don't know what ranges your thinking of but most fights happen within 100m. Magrider isn't dogging anything that close unless the prowler pilot has no idea how to aim.

If that's the only way you know how to fix something. If the engine light in your car won't turn off, you just bring it to a junkyard?

Dodging and hiding behind a rock are two different things. You might want to clear that up.

What does lack of situational awareness have to do with the special abilities?

If a magrider runs into a prowler and it immediately locks down, the magrider is dead. It's that simple.

Ok...

That's not vague at all. I can escape them too if I'm 700m away.
  9. FBVanu

That's what shows that there is balance... they all suck... :confused: Or so some players have you believe.
  10. Ronin Oni

Yeah, if you see them miss 3 out of their first 4 shots I'll keep fighting.

The other thing I often do is let my gunner peak over a rock and just peck away. Really terrain dependent though but it's pretty much the only reason I ever use 3PV.
  11. Demigan

I didn't mean stack.
    A Vanguard blocks the route for his allies as well as the vision of anyone behind it. 2 Magriders can strafe in about the same area and fire while still having access to the cover when necessary. This is something Vanguards (and Prowlers) don't really have, any Prowler or Vanguard that is in the middle of the road/away from cover acts like that as well, and will stick to the middle of the road and back up, making a longer target, forcing their engagement to be a shorter and more dangerous one because they have to get back for repairs quicker and have to plan it over a longer period.

I've played magriders only a few times, and while it was tougher to fly over/under other Magriders, I didn't have that many problems. It took longer, but it was far faster and safer than the "now you are absolutely blocked" that the TR and NC experience when there's MBT's (or lightnings) stacked.

I do know that Magriders in groups need a lot more situational awareness to work properly. Bumping into a friendly is one of the times I enjoy taking a shot at them (although with a Vanguard's reload speed it's likely they already made up for their mistake by the time you can fire). I have also mostly experienced Magriders as the victim, so when I drive a Vanguard and see 7+ Magriders anywhere but on the road taking a shot at you, where normally you see a maximum of 3 Prowlers (almost the same thing :p), I tend to remember that one as an advantage. But it could be the same bias that makes aircraft players say that the game is completely saturated by AA.
  12. Ronin Oni

? Magriders require more room than any other MBT, You can squeeze in more maybe but you can't even turn your turret then. That's beyond cluster ****. Tracked tanks doing the same can still aim and shoot, though that's idiotic for anyone.

But for operable room, Magriders need more. If a magrider never dodges a single main canon round, that means the magrider outright loses. Even to an equal (AP/HEAT/HE) main canon lightning if 1/2.

w/o dodging room, you lose. Period. That is exactly what I'm saying when I say that the flaw of the magriders becomes immediately apparent because stat for stat they're last in every category without their mobility.

Floating over lightnings is still iffy and not something you do while trading shots... At BEST the enemy hits the lightning instead of you can you blocked the lightning from firing who does just as much damage. it just lets you cross over them without them barring your way, and yes, that's BIG... it's also why VS likes lightnings so much, they pair well with the Magriders
  13. Cinnamon

Prowler benefits more from large flat areas where they can concentrate fire. Magrider benefits most from the sort of crazy random steep edges everywhere map designs that are most of the maps, probably because the terrain gen tools were set to create them and they block los therefore reducing draw distance. Vanguard would benefit more from a less extreme terrain.

But really the level of armour tactics are underwhelming in this game. Tanks themsevles are looked down on as being irrelevant to overall strategy and are therefore not really as important for game balance.
  14. Badname82

Dude, tanks don't stack well in general. At least you can float over that moron that ran up into your rear to try to use you as cover...even if it 'disrupts' your aim.

Every prowler and vanguard driver has to constantly watch his back...not for the enemy, but for that jerk in a lightning who uses you as cover and keeps you from reversing. From that idiot who thinks his repair sundy will out-repair the damage from an entire hex shooting at you, and parks right up on you.

The Nightmare scenario is when a zerg-fit spams tanks to the area you are fighting at, and you see a congo line of tank coming at you from behind. I'm talking a friendly, same faction zerg-fit. At least Magriders can escape easier when that happens :) If you are in one of those narrow roads in a prowler or vanguard with no way to scale the walls, you may as well just C-4 yourself. Last night I was watching (from a very safe distance) two comet Maxes shred an entire tank column because as soon as the first tank made contact, he stopped in the middle of the road, causing a pile up until he got blasted apart (with no way to retreat as his outfit ran up behind him and blocked him in) and then this process was repeated for about 15 Vanguards.

While hillarious, I immediately thought of this post.

But more seriously, yes, I agree with your post. Magriders need lebensraum.
  15. Dreez

Why shouldn't the "hardest hitting" and "best armored" tank take on another AP/AP tank head on ?. Isn't this the feature of
    the VG?, to extend its life with the "OP shield" and use its "hardest hitting" cannon.
  16. Pelojian

let's not forget the idiots that seem to not know or forget that vehicles have a reverse button to brake with and dont give a **** if they damage your vehicle in the process the only time they care is when they die in a lighter vehicle then yours.

If they die they whine that it's somehow your fault when they were in a faster more maneuverable vehicle while your vehicle is slower and more sluggish, damned kids think they own the road and should always have right of way. doesn't matter if they throw off my aim or just don't break still pisses me off the same.
  17. Jake the Dog

I love them all, sadly I haven't found your vanguard yet when I've been swagriding recently. :D
  18. Alarox

Haven't been playing very much lately.
  19. Popejustice

I main TR. The vanguards that beat me usually do so by simply outlasting. We're stuck and if we fail to kill you before you reach cover (which can be kind of tough like you said you have 6 seconds of shields) it's basically a lost cause. You can just pop in and out of cover taking shots on us and we can return fire, but you can repair and if we undeploy we risk missing a shot. We're also usually so exposed that if we hop out to rep we risk not being able to undeploy in time to get away.

I'm not saying anchor is bad or anything, but the vanguard's shield shouldn't be under appreciated. It can help you escape or help you if you've closed on a prowler. At close range those DPS numbers you're posting are true, but we're totally immobile dude, pop your shield and get behind us and watch us melt. We either take it in the rear or take the dps hit from undeploying and no have to face your shield without insane dps.

Weirdly tank on tank combat seems the most balanced (i'm wincing as i type this) as long as Vanu and TR realize they don't have real tanks. One has an upgraded harasser with the ability to strafe in/out of cover and use strafe to line up shots on the move (this is huge and is rarely mentioned) strafe is an awesome aim assist, and TR has an artillery piece, unless your rolling stealth with vulcan. If you don't like it switch or just accept it for what it is. Honestly i think the Magrider is the best (most reward for being good/smart), if i didn't despise Vanu so much I might give it a go.
  20. Ronin Oni

Hold on a second, the ONLY vehicle we can go over is a lightning, EVERY OTHER VEHICLE causes problems (well, flashes just get killed, but that can be dangerous because debris!)

Sunderer, other Magriders, Harassers...

they all cause movement problems and block us as well.

I noted the advantage of the lightning & magrider because those things are built so the driver is lying down to drive it, but that's the only extra vehicle packing we get, and it's STILL bad to deal with. Firing at Mags floating over Lightnings is like free damage (you're hitting something) meanwhile the lightnings cant' shoot while the Mags are on top of them (or hit the Mag, it's happened to me) AND the mag can't shoot back because it's aim is all over the place.

And STILL my point that magriders fault at being the WORST tank, as in WORSE THAN A LIGHTNING at trading shots becomes blatantly apparent in these packed in situations.

Magriders ONLY work when they have LOTS of maneuver room. I refuse to pull one in the canyons of Indar or Hossin because they're just TERRIBLE in those conditions. (I will fly though, and you WILL get pissed at me then)