Lock-On weapon, over-rated and boring?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by gh05t, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Balthor

Okay, let me get this clear: G2A lock-ons are NECESSARY. It's infantrys main defense agains those effing lolpodders (oh god i just hate them). And also; they are bad (at least NC ones, but I've heard its pretty much the same for everyone). G2G lock ones are just usseless tho (any skilled player can nail a tank with a dumbfiring rocket)
    Also, rocket launchers in this game have a waaaaay too low bullet velocity. And arguably not enough damage (seriously, since when does a big black di.. I mean van resist 3-4 rockets?? and let's not talk about maxes...)
  2. Moisture

IT does not matter how much "Skill" you have. You cant hit targets that will move at all past 200 meters.
    Even half that your damage output is useless.
  3. blag

This is pretty much exactly what I've been saying.

Dumbfire rockets are impossible to hit moving targets with since the patch that nerfed them because they travel way too slow and loose elevation way too quickly.
  4. JustARandomNobody

Lock on weapons are extremely boring and skill devoid. However due to the intense amounts of vehicle spam in game you don't really have a choice due to the other lackluster AV options HA gets. I would much prefer laser guided AA/AG missiles that I have to actually aim for the entire flight on a HA. Would remove IR smoke and flares as being boring hard counters as well, smoke would still be an effective soft counter.
  5. Snipe-yo-face-yall

How is it noobish to have lock ons? It requires skill to be able to know when to shoot (aka waiting till the pilot has popped flares to not waste a missile, good positioning (this is the most important part), knowing which shots are good, target acquisition (taking out more damaging targets first), etc. Yes you can go out into a field with a Grounder and shoot at any aircraft that gets a lock, but go try that and see how many kills you get. As for ground lock on launchers they are for far engagements when dumbfire launchers just can't be accurately compensated for. Again they require skill and need to be learned. As far as aiming, timing, and good positioning is concerned lockons might be more complex than point and shoot launchers.
    • Up x 1
  6. Vanus Aran

I think the always-returning ESF's are boring too.
    So rarely they try to kill me as well. They just take the hit sometimes and return after repairs.

I cant kill them, they cant have their peaceful Skylife as well... no one is happy. :rolleyes:
  7. Gastoninho

A2A Rocket Launcher should work as Stingers on Desert Combat Final for Battlefield 1942: Very Fast, Accurate, no bullet drop and mainly. MASSIVE FLAK DAMAGE. And no damage at all on ground vehicles

8. Moisture

I never played it more then 10 minutes
    With that as a weapon why did anyone ever take to the air?
  9. DeadliestMoon

Whether or not something is boring is completely subjective. Just because you think it is doesn't mean everyone think it is.
  10. Tonberry76

i wish SOE didt nerf the launchers so much
    now that almost every faction spam so many tanks its no fun anymore to use a launcher

you dont get a change to fire them and if you fire the damage is to low to make any difrent
    even C4 do more damage but try to get close to a tank army pretty hard with so many tanks every step i set out side i get blow up

so yea what you do stay in that room and you cant do ****
    maby shoot players that walk by but thats it

thats how PS2 is atm its not fun
    i rely love to play as a anti tank/aircraft class but atm i have a very hard time doing it

so i stil dunno what to do atm -.-
  11. vanu123

Remove lockons from the game.
  12. BaronX13

The problem with lock-ons in my eyes, are plentiful for both sides.

On the receiving side:

1. They're cheap as heck to use.
    2. If they're A2A missles you CANNOT evade them, you can flare sure, but you used to be able to evade them if you were skilled. And that evasion maneuver wasn't an "answer to all lock-ons" so it wasn't OP.
    3. Information on where they are coming on, how many are locking on to you, and the type of weapon is practically nonexistent.
    4. An infinite amount of render problems, damage indicator problems, "invisible" damage problems, etc. They're buggy, they always have been, most likely always will be.
    5. No skill needed, at all, period. One can try to argue skill is needed, but it isn't, in any way shape or form. True, they may be a bit more dangerous to use, but they need no skill whatsoever in reality. Just common sense.
    6. Incredibly easy to spam.
    7. Almost everyone has them.
    8. They "stick their nose" into every arena. You can't have a good tank battle or dogfight without these things interrupting you and screwing you over. Even if you are trying to take place far away from the large fight, and aren't farming infantry. There is always one, somewhere, ready to tap you that one extra time to screw you over.
    9. When they are broken/OP, it is bad enough, it is even worse when skilled players start to use them. A powerful lock-on weapon is made to help unskilled, new, or casual players. The problem really arrives when skilled players use them on top of already being skilled. This makes the weapons stupidly powerful for the wrong type of people.
    10. Any other problems you'd like to add. They are really annoying, end of story.

On the dealing side:

1. They almost will never kill your target unless you are with an organized group, a total overpop, or you just got lucky. (Or I guess, if the person you are shooting at is bad in some way shape or form.)
    2. If they're broken/OP, you will catch insults for using it, thereby hurting your reputation.
    3. Unless you are within kissing range of your target, lock-ons are almost forced upon you as the dumbfires cannot reach. Yes, skill can help here, but even an experienced player will notice the difficulty in firing a dumbfire past 50 meters. (I just kind of threw that number out, but you get my drift.)
    4. They ARE rather boring....and unsatisfying.
    5. They put you in a stupid amount of danger to use sometimes.
    6. The same buggyness I mentioned before can sometimes turn against the wielder, causing rockets to not make contact, to veer stupidly off course, or just do some other silly malfunction.
    7. Lock-ons do not usually DETER. Therefor, they do not make good area denial weapons. About the only time a lock on makes a good area denial weapon is when you have enough that you would have killed whatever was in said area anyway.
    8. Super thin branches. These break the lock-on. I'm not talking the actual "core" of the tree, cause that is fine, I'm talking a single leaf could break the lock.
    9. Anything else you could think of when wielding them that could be a problem.

And just to add, my personal list on problems with dumbfires:

1. They are just too slow, it is ridiculous. I never, ever ever, heard any complaints on the velocity of the default dumbfires and the Decimator. Never. They need to go faster, end of story. They don't need to fly like an eagle, so to say, but just...faster.
    2. The drop. WHO THOUGHT, IT WAS A GOOD IDEA, TO MAKE THE DECIMATOR SHELL HIT THE GROUND 20 FEET IN FRONT OF YOU?! Seriously, this wasn't a problem, ask any tanker or flier worth his salt, when you were killed by a decimator, especially at range, you can't help but think "good job" . Basically it's the same thought as the dalton, it hits like a brick S$#%house, but its so slow and the arc was reasonably difficult, it took skill. I guarantee no level 20 was out there shooting deci shots like a sniper rifle.
    3. Ammo, jeez at least let a HA carry enough rockets to destroy an enemy MBT from the front armor. I don't want to hear any complaining from tankers, if you take 6 decimator shells to your front armor, and not move, you deserve to die, and you should give yourself to darwinism for doing so.
    4. Fine, as annoying as it is, I understand that too many people were using their dumbfires in infantry combat. I understand the "hipfire" COF. But reduce the shake on the ADS when getting lolpodded or shot at. Seriously, I ADS, one bullet flies past my head, suddenly I'm Helen Keller with a Decimator. (Especially if it is a mossie shooting at you, those stupid hellfire missles shake the screen so much my dang rig starts to stutter, and it isn't THAT bad of a rig hahaha, i'm fine with their damage and all that, but at the least reduce the shake on them, they're easier to spam than VS photon pods, and a lil bit easier than breaker pods.) It is also annoying when trying to engage a MAX. I know I shouldn't win all the time, but I find it stupid the shake makes me miss the giant robot :/.
    5. I just want to state it one more time, if ANY of these things were going to be considered, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, just give HA enough ammo to kill a tank from the front. JUST ONE TANK. FROM THE FRONT. NOT TALKING DAMAGE, NOT TALKING RELOADS. NOT TALKING DPS. JUST INSTEAD OF 4 (5?) ROCKETS, GIVE ME ENOUGH TO KILL A TANK FROM THE FRONT. YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY ARGUE THAT IT IS OP. seriously you'd have to afk for that to be OP.

*bows* I will accept your flames now.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tonberry76

no its already a pain to get rid of so many tanks
    and VS tanks are very mobiel so am happy with lock on

only need more damage and way faster lock on

ever try to defend a tower ?? with so many tanks
    tanks comming shoot down every anti tank/air turrents that are station there

then they keep shooting ad the center with there AOE damage they do you cant move much
    and if you get out and try to fix a turrent you get head shot by snipers

ore tanks blow you up again
    try to use my laucher very hard to hit a tank becouse you dont get a change to fire 1
    and with alot of eng fix the tanks again it rely a battle you lose fast

and thats how this game is atm

sorry for my english
  14. kaolla

lock on are fine for me, even if don't kill esf in 1 go. still found the ground one a bit "meh" rocket always goes to lwo and hit ground. so i prefer using phenix even IF it really need one change, that past the 300 m mark the rocket is dumbifre and don't vanish on front of the target.. it happen all the time
  15. Gastoninho

I forgot to say that Choppers and airplanes DMG are almost instakill also. Just as it is in real war :p Hellfire rockets in Apache / MI-24 kills with just one rocket... but ok... We are talking about futuristic war... not modern war... :p Anyway... lock-on is really boring :p
  16. reydelchicken

Lockons are the most game ruining experience when you're trying to dogfight an ESF or a liberator, and guess what...
    2-3 lockons in a row from different players take you out while you're busy and not even paying attention to them or ignoring them.

Also for those players that keep saying that using a lockon takes "skill and positioning" I don't see how redeploying to a base close to where a big fight is going on, and spamming lockons from inside the spawnroom takes any skill.

Besides, for those that say that lockons are absolutely necessary against lolpodders, I'm pretty sure it's not the case, unless they start shooting at you in an open field (in which case it's your own fault for being there) hitting a hovering ESF is not THAT hard with a dumbfire.

Even taking down a liberator is possible, especially if you have a sunderer nearby where you can fire a rocket, switch to secondary, double-tap E, and fire another rocket; repeat for 3 times.

Of course in situations where skies are clear, or there are smaller battles going on, lockons aren't too much of an issue, since you can always just retreat for a bit and repair.

I still think that flack and other weapons should be the only AA ingame, if you overextend or try to hover too much you'll get killed, but you can still hit and run effectively (mind you that doing this does take skill), unless you're outnumbered by a lot, in which case, nothing else in the game will keep you alive anyway.

Sure enough you have pilots that stay far away shooting rocketpods or trying to snipe infantry outside of the effective range of flack, but for this, you have vehicle weapons, such as the walker, or the basilisk.
    • Up x 1
  17. Moisture

Given how braindead easy it is for a aircraft actively trying to hunt infantry to annihilate them near instantly if the pilot has any reasonable level of experience at it I don't feel your pain.
    This weakness is in exchange for the unprecedented ability to solo any man or machine with near 100% success except the few with dedicated weapon platforms to counter what you happen to be in. Who often can just drive you away so you can return at your leisure.

This unfortunate frustration is because you are even more frustrating.
  18. reydelchicken

I actually don't mean that lockons are frustrating while you're hunting for infantry (I personally don't do this myself).

They're frustrating when you keep getting shot at by ground troops while you're fighting other air vehicles, such as liberators, galaxies, or ESF.
  19. Hiding in VR

It only takes "no skill" if you are flying over a base with no ground support (infantry or vehicle). Usually in such situations there is a frenetic ground battle around the base as well, and taking time to aim with a lock-on is extremely dangerous.
  20. XhYde

I just cannot agree anymore.... T2 Striker is TOO BORING, and the rockets are too stupid, they often hit obstacles while I have to guide them all the way. The worst part is, my skills do NOTHING to help the poor accuracy.... T2 is not interesting at all.

On the other hand, I understand T2`s damage is ridiculous, especially on G2A. It takes 2 rounds of other G2A rockets to hit an ESF hard, but it only takes ONE round of Striker to do the same. I know how bad those NC/VS pilots feel when they got a few damage and then taken down mostly by only 1 TR HA with a T2. That`s just UNFAIR.

Please, redesign Striker~ Thanks a lot.