[Suggestion] Liking PhysX, but it's just too much

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bullwinkle 01, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Bullwinkle 01

I like the particle and debris effects of PhysX, but the number of sparks is just insane. When shooting a gun against something metal, it looks like you are running an arc welder. In a big fight you can't see anything going on because of all the sparks. The debris looks nice, but the sparks are just too numerous and too bright. It actually hinders the ability to fight, so how is that a bonus?

I'd recommend a slider (or multiple sliders if you can control each effect individually) to allow users to tweak the number of particles and debris bits that get generated. A few sparks bouncing around is really cool, a hundred of them is just a hindrance, and not really realistic anyway.
    • Up x 2
  2. Torok

eheh it is indeed OVERWHELMING, when you get in a big fight the floor is literally covered in dirt and spark, AMAZING, dirt is realistic, the spark not so much, anyway it's awesome, a slider wouldn't hurt i guess, more people would certainly benefit from it, i too have friends who can't stand too many effects
  3. Badgered

I'd like the ability to disable the gravity lift effects or at the very least tone them down. They are the only PhysX effect that causes noticeable slowdown while the rest of the effects add copious amounts of pretty without any performance loss.
  4. FatSheriff

your damned if you do and damned if you dont :eek:
  5. FateJH

6. MayorD

Its SOE - its all or nothing.

disabled it again, this too much.
  7. zukhov

Err... you can disable it yourself if you can't handle it but for me..

Explosions, confusion and smoke are all part of the battle experiance. I'm keeping it.

Textures look a lot better now as well, much sharper - keep up the good work !
  8. Lucidius134

The generators looked cool but the rest looked god awful and too much.

Too much graphical filters
    Too much artificial coloring (indar)
    Too much bloom
    Too much sunglare

it all gets in the way of playing the game. It's like, they're there to masque the silly gameplay mechanics.
  9. RichardDunn

I think the effects are really cool, but I stand stand the horrid frames I get in big battles when Physx is enabled. I run the game on high and get decent frames, ~60 in small to medium battles, but when I enter a tower or major battle my frames shoot down in the 20s. With it off I rarely drop below 40 in the hotspots.

I'm curious to see the performance everyone is getting with Physx on.

Specs:
    2600K @ 4.8ghz
    8 GB DDR3 1600
    GTX570 Oc'ed to GTX580 performance
    128gb Corsair SSD
  10. willowstyle

can we have screen of a big fight with "the sparks too numerous and too bright" plz :)
  11. Sebyos

Yeah always thought it was stupid how a vehicle could explode in a million particles. Forgot about the particles when shooting.

Sucks to be NVIDIA, soon we will be able to remove our helmets and with TressFX I will look fabulous !
  12. Bullwinkle 01

This makes sense if *everybody* gets the same experience, but they don't. People without PhysX don't see all the sparks, confusion and smoke, and thus can keep shooting and hitting you where you can't even see them. Why would you want to put yourself at a disadvantage to other players in the game? That's not simulating any experience other than losing. It has nothing to do with being able to "handle" anything, it has to do with putting yourself at a disadvantage your enemy does not share.

When you get hit in the game do you punch yourself in the face to get the "battle experiance [sic]" ?
  13. zukhov

I have employed someone to hit me with a cricket bat every time I get hit and I can also handle that. Playing any other way is just not hardcore enough.
  14. Pikachu

Try using a haxmax!