Like it or not, this game needs Orbital Strike.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Axehilt

Agreed on both accounts. Indirect weapons and Orbital Strikes could both be balanced.

Basically the important thing is that if you let your king (spawn) be surrounded by pieces (vehicles), you deserve the loss you've earned and no game mechanic should be created to "fix" that .

But even if that's true, that doesn't mean there couldn't be a balanced orbital strike. It just shouldn't be a "get out of camp free card" that provides a strong advantage to players who've screwed up.
  2. Timithos

Coding would detect if the defenders are spawn camped based the concentration of defenders around the spawn, and the percentage of out-numbering attackers in close proximity to the facility. The OS would automatically hit the highest concentration of attacking troops and vehicles.

Counter? What do you mean? This game already grossly favors the attacker. Why would you hand them a counter to their long list of advantages? They already would know the time intervals that OS's hit. They would know the major facility to take out to remove the faction's OS's. They have 5-6 seconds of audio/visuals to get out of the way. They'll know not to clump up. All of that is counter enough.

But let's forget all that. I believe that before the OS can be considered, that spawn camping has to be virtually eliminated. I already know how to eliminate spawn camping in 70% of all bases across Auraxus.
  3. Kristan

Blah, blah, blah. All you do is easy kills from a safe armored vehicle and safe distance.
    lolpodding infantry? A-ok!
    Spamming Lightning Viper? A-ok!
    Sniping with AP Prowler (prolly anchored)? A-ok!

That's farming and statpadding. The thing for players who have no guts to go into firefight, but need some numbers to brag about and be proud of. So your high SPM and KDR is utter crap since the way you've got it.
  4. GatilloMike

Just put a red button in the terminal base's with a counter that rises up, that will need 12 different players click to be activated and the OS will fall of the sky in the points with a big damage radius base. after that they will be a reset time of 15mins. Problem?
  5. Axehilt

There is nothing glorious about choosing the wrong tools.
    • It's bad enough if a carpenter insists on pounding nails with a screwdriver.
    • It's even more idiotic if he criticizes another carpenter for using a hammer. Especially if that carpenter's work is objectively superior as a result.
    I don't farm. Farming implies that you avoid a timely, efficient victory in order to stat-pad. I don't do that. The timely, efficient victory is why I use the right tools for the job. The game rewards playing smart.

If you showed your stats, we'd see that it doesn't reward pounding nails with a screwdriver.

So if you're done trying to glorify stupidity, we can continue back to the original topic of how OSes should not be a "get out of camp free card", and that as long as they're not a tool which is unusually effective in those situations, there is probably room for OSes as a cool, distinct weapon in PS2.
  6. Brainlaag

I'll repeat what dozens of others gave said. I can see it working but it needs to be well thought through.
  7. squarebug

yes please, CR 5 OS was amazing.. even when wasted
  8. maxkeiser

Just NO to orbital strike. Completely silly - unless you give it to ONE commander per entire faction and say it can only be used once every half hour or so.
    • Up x 1
  9. VogonPoetMaster

I don't care what they do, so long as they make epic battles between bases more frequent. Spawn-camping is not fun for either side, particularly for infantry.
    • Up x 2
  10. Darkraver

Yes This game needs the OS back .

And Yes spawn camping is a problem but were are the basements that were under the PS 1 bases ?
    Their they could spam the doors but they coudent capture the base ,
    thats the proble in this Game .
    the spawns are far away from the capture points and on surface level .

if u never played PS1 go check it ,

The vets know how good the fight for the bases were ;)
  11. Logri

Well, I do think that OB strike would be doable, and that it should be linked to some captured station or specific redisigned outpost that for example is the control center for the orbiting satellites which would make it possible for a SL to call in an OB strike.

A decent cooldown should be added though.
    There were too many in PS1 sometimes, it was getting rediculous.
    OB strike should be something that shouldn't be available to everyone.
    Making a leap here, bring back command ranks?
  12. Keiichi25

Actually, this is incorrect... OS kills still counted as Kills. OS was earned by capturing bases while leading a squad, however, it did not prevent people from spamming it once they got it. Being CR4 was enough to get the small Orbital Strike allowance and CR5 was for the larger one.

As for Successful commanders, you are deluding yourself. From my own experience, commanders of Outfits, who already achieved their CR5, all they had to do was pass Squad lead of their Squad to someone who needed it and could still lead the squad without being a squad leader. Said person would then get CXP to raise their CR Leverl without having to lead. Anyone with half a clue did that, especially when they were with outfits at the time.

Furthermore, even limiting it to just outfits, it still won't limit the spamming ability... For instance, Execution on Connery is one of the largest TR groups out there and while people like to think they are a Zerg outfit, thing is, they do organized operations as well. I wouldn't find it hard to believe other outfits are going to do the same and this means *gasp* large, organized outfits are going to be dominant in not just the fact they field lots of people with organization, but also the potential of being able to call an OS at any time they felt like doing it and it would literally kilter any battle out there to the point of identifying "Oh, Outfit <insert dreaded large outfit> is here... Expect to be blasted with spam..."

Now I am not against indirect fire, but again, the Orbital Strike is not going to work well because unlike games like Command and Conquer, the basic Orbital Strike was dependent on a facility AND power as well as a timer and under the control of 'one' person.

You are trusting maybe 10-50% of the internet population with something that can either be fired multiple times or once every period of time, to use it properly, when past experience in Planetside 1 was when someone who had the ability to do it, nukes his own squad for the first time as a means of celebration.

My bet is that no matter what, people are going to be idiots or friggin griefers and make OS not be worthwhile.

Second - If we want indirect fire... It damn well better be an Artillery piece and REQUIRES being in a Squad. And Artillery is MORE likely to be in the game than OS, because at least with Artillery, even if it is a bit far back, requiring an actual 'spotter' to mark targets and the artillery piece that can be blown up but can't easily defend itself from ground or air targets, which means it needs other people to support it. This is going to be the most likely thing you will ever come close to a reasonable OS method because it requires more effort than just 1 person to do it and artillery is not known to be horribly accurate to begin with and can't defend itself at close range because the aiming of it is not the quickest nor able to aim 'downward' as it was designed to lob shells at range, not fire at things at close range.
    • Up x 1
  13. Shurrikken

Umad son?
  14. Kristan

No, thank you for bumping this thread. :D