[Suggestion] Light Assault Jetpacks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Soques, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Soques

I think Light Assault jetpacks need to make sound. I don't understand why we need to have sound mechanics for Infils, but not for LA's. This makes LA's much better suited for getting places and taking objectives deep in enemy controlled areas.

Any thoughts?
  2. Garbageman

Yeah, I think that is a good idea. The sound of a jetpack whooshing as a LA approaches.
  3. Garbageman

4. Phazaar

It does make a sound... Turn sound up :)

Why should you have to when it's defying gravity?

Nanites. Duh.
  5. ToggleSwitch

I am in soooo much in agreement with this. It would also help with the problem of those stealthy peter pans flying over ahead and droppin mines.

But... with all the LA's flying around it could present a problem by muddling up the different sound mechanics. What kind of sound would they make that would make them distinguishable in a massive fire fight which includes an air assault? With all the other audible sounds I'm not sure if it's worth it in that type of scenario... but... let's say I'm defending a lone base where there is no action... it would be nice to hear the distant sound of an inbound enemy's jetpack.
  6. Onetoo

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I like it the way it is now and light assault isn't my main; I mostly play engineer.

Maybe I have my volume up too loud, but I can hear jet packs just fine and I think if they were louder it would hurt the classes hit-and-run ability.
  7. ToggleSwitch

Didn't know they made a sound. I've never heard it, but I'm goin to start listening for it (guess I need to turn up the volume).
  8. vaxx

First, when did LA's get mines?

Second, LA's make plenty of sound, just listen or get a decent sound setup. Its not hard to hear.
  9. ToggleSwitch

I don't play as a LA so if it's not mines then its probably C4. Never-the-less, they're able to stealthily drop explosive devices and are capable of destroying ground vehicles - from the air- better than air units can.

My sound card is fine (SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium). Like I said, I guess I need to turn up the sound.
  10. Soques

I would have to disagree. I just logged back in and jumped around a bit. I specifically turned my Master sound all the way up. While I can hear the jetpack, it is substantially underneath the sound of vehicle engines and gunfire. My point is that it should not be as masked especially when someone is landing next to you.

If you go about a minute in and compare. Not saying it needs to be the same but I think it should be more audible.

11. KAHR-Alpha

They just got to sound like that:

12. vaxx

So I assume engineers should make loud sounds too since they can also kill vehicles by dropping mines? I mean they can drop 3 in a matter of seconds, and not have to actually detonate them, so they should make a clanking sound, right?

Since you admit to not playing LA, you fail to see it isnt easy to fly over and drop C4. First off, JJ dont have unlimited fuel. Second, C4 takes a while to actually deploy, and to drop 2 even longer. After you drop it, you have to detonate it. Again, before you speak about being able to kill ground vehicles better than air, how about try it?
  13. vaxx

It SHOULD be substantially under vehicle sounds and gunfire. You would rather hear a LA jetpack over an enemy tank, or enemy gunfire? Not me.

When it is not a huge battle going on I have no issues hearing JJ's around me. I always follow them.
  14. Soques

I would rather that the volume be based on proximity. I think that if a thruster next to you is firing or approaching you it should increase in volume. The balance should be in the distance. If I am standing near a running tank I agree it should be quieter than that at least until it is also next to you.
  15. Soques

Please do not take what people post as an attack on the LA class. People moving/running do make sound, perhaps this should also be affected by proximity. That however is not the discussion here.
  16. ToggleSwitch

No vaxx, they don't need to make a 'Clanking' sound (which is a funny angle to take for an argument) but as mentioned earlier... when I'm at a base with little or no action I should be able to hear something from the LA's jet pack. As far as in a fire fight... the jet pack is the last thing I need to hear unless they're hovering right over me.

I've had LA's fly right over head of me with their guns firin and nary a precursor of a sound from their JP. Even during the time I'm defending a spawn point I've had LA's fly right up to or even on top of the building I was in without any sound rendering (again, probably my volume).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the valiant efforts of the LA because I've stood back and watched their attempts at flying over and destroying ground vehicles... many get knocked outta the sky while some get through, so I do commend them for their efforts, they are a tangible asset.

As far as me trying out LA, I'll pass. I've put too many certs into my HA, Tank and Sundy.
  17. Zer0range

They do make sound.
  18. Kumaro

Jet pack starting should be a a sound getting people on edge just as the sound of an infiltrator going into cloak does <.<