Let's talk about: semi automatic rifles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tnsr, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Tnsr

This thread is full of whine. Live with it or G T F O.

The weapons I want to talk about are the battle rifles, the semi automatic scout rifles and the semi automatic long range rifles.
    As I see it there is almost none using them on the battlefield and I wonder why. Of course we don't have any useage statistics, so it is pure subjective observation. I use the Impetus myself atm, I trialed the battle rifle and the semi scout rifle multiple times as I am looking for a more precise weapon than just spray and pray.
    The stats aside the semi automatics are purely underpowered. Not because of their bullet damage, but their usability is just MEEEEEEH. The recoil is HUGE, maybe this is realistic (I am not a weapon expert), but the kick is so big that it is like you have to aim for the enemy new after each shot, while with the automatics you just hold your crosshair on your enemy and pull the trigger down. Especially the battle rifles don't stand a chance, 5-6 shots to kill an enemy, every shot fired manually after the huge recoil compared to an automatic rifle that needs mybe 8 or 9 hits in automatic spray mode is not a fair fight.
    So what are those rifles in the game for? Are they pure support weapons? Are they not suposed to work in CQC and short ranges? Even in medium ranges spray and pray weapons outdamage and disturb your aiming with the flinch mechanics so that you barely hit a shot. In CQC and shot ranges I normally end up shooting 2, maybe 3 shots before I get killed by an automatic rifle. And I don't speak about 2 or 3 hits, just 2 or 3 shots in the time I get killed. Theoretically you will never kill an enemy and seriously I mostly can only kill an enemy if I catch him standing and from behind, and even then it happens that a HA just turns around and kills me with ease.

Something has to be done on the semi automatics to see them more often on the battlefield. If you now look at the stats of the weapons all semi automatics have worse TTK than automatic rifles. Added to this their recoil and cof bloom is multiple times those of the automatics. The semi scout rifle has a recoil of 1.5. 1.5. How are you suposed to hit an enemy with 5 or 6 shots with such stats? Why do the weapons with the worst TTK also have the worst handling?

I am honest, imho I'd like to test a semi automatic with the damage of about 300-350 and much less recoil/cof OR 200-250 damage with the recoil/cof of automatic weapons. Their velocity should be highered so that you don't have to lead your aim on moving targets as much as with automatics. Semi automatics should be spot on aiming.
    Now you think this would be OP? I can guarantee that even then automatics will still win 80% of all fights.

So how do you guys feel about the semis automatics?
    • Up x 2
  2. Sturmwaffles

Unfortunately, they are weak slug shotguns.
    Slug shotguns are exactly what you are searching for.
  3. DaninTexas

I love my BR on my TR and NC character. However - even with a laser on them - they are niche weapons - I find them best 25m +

For those fights around the crown where I am medium to long range - I will always grab my BR with a 1x or 2x red dot on them and rack up kills. Great counter vs snipers IMO.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dinglebuttz

I wish I knew. I bought the Nyx on my infiltrator thinking it would work well for my CQC/medium range kit but it is essentially worthless. I'm better off trying to quickscope someone with my sniper, I might get a lucky headshot that way but regardless I am dead 90% of the time when that situation happens. The other 10% I cloaked behind someone and got a clean headshot off lol.

My Beamer pistol is more dangerous it seems :(
  5. #yoloswag420

Semi auto snipers are fairly viable. They aren't nearly as good as bolt actions for actual sniping, but they can be used effectively in medium ranges fights ie: outside between two hills. In these sorts of situations, the semi auto's high ROF can rack up kills and damage more enemies.

Scout and battle rifles are gimped. They can be effective in some situations, but honestly what weapon can't? There is no real reason to use a battle rifle because every class has weapons that out perform it in every situation.

Semi-scout rifles are just as bad. It takes an obscene amount of body shots to kill any non-infiltrator class. Nanoweave aggravates this problem even more. The only thing that scout rifles are good for is essentially kill stealing your own team mates, because they are absolutely useless in situations in which the person you are shooting at sees you and can shoot back. Seriously, what good are they? LMGs are better ranged weapons then scout rifles.
  6. Ravenorth

Both semi-auto scout and battle rifles could use a little damage buff. I havent used battle rifles, but VS semi-auto scout rifle isnt really a bad weapon, but people with nanoweave armor makes it pretty useless in close/med range. That one extra bullet you need to shoot down those people is usually the reason you get killed, especially in close range. It should always be three shots to kill in close range, since it fires pretty slowly and recol is not the smallest one.
  7. UberBonisseur

If you're talking about semi-auto 10 bullet rifles...

DO NOT BUY THEM.

It's the exact same weapon as the default 10 round sniper WITHOUT the scope, charged 700 SC.
    Same exact stats, they just removed the optics.
  8. Tnsr

I know what you mean. I bought the Impetus because you can kill people with three shots. That's exactly what I understand how a semi automatic should work. I thought I get used to the scope sway, even with no scope attached. Less bullets, but if you hit it really hurts.
    Unfortunately I didn't see the stats sheets for the weapons before I bought it (luckily with Certs). The CoF bloom is absurd. Like seriously absurd to a point where even ADS the CoF is so high you can miss ALL bullets in short range. You can get used to the weapon, which means you accept to die in almost every infight.
    On top of that comes that many automatic rifles have even a higher velocity than the semis. From a logic point of view semis should have higher velocity than any automatic weapon, that's where their recoil and higher damage per bullet comes from in reality?
  9. Tnsr

Bump for more input from other players about the semi automatics!
  10. Phyr

Semi auto snipers are 400 damage
    Semi auto scout is 334
    Battle rifles are 250

They should open the scout rifles to other classes, and make the BR's not suck.
  11. Yutty

i'd love to leave feedback back but no way i'm wasteing 1000 certs or 7$ for them. I've been waiting for the daily sale to be the nyx so i can put a suppressor on that thing. From the trials tho it seem pretty decent, no sway and a head shot does just slightly less dmg than the default vs sniper
  12. Tnsr

Some people like to see the max damage. I like to work with the minimum damage, worst case scenario is what matters most of the time. You can roughly say the semi auto sniper is 3 shots (if any of them hits), the semi scout 5 and the BRs 6 hits.
    At least no one so far says the semis are ok like they are.
  13. Yutty

i think you're doing it wrong if the semi scout is taking you 5 shots for a kill, i was dropping ppl in 2-3 shots with nyx default & no attachments. Would love to see how'd i'd do with a x4, a suppressor, extra clips
  14. IamSalvation

I like my Nyx.. but i like it more as a challenge, not for beeing good.
    It feels rewarding as hell getting a good Killstreak or even just 2 Kills with this... and i like that its versatile.. i can snipe with it without scope sway, i can use it on midrange fights and in CC its better than the Manticore...

So... yeah in CC a SMG would be better but i really like the versatility and challenge the Nyx offers...

After all i would not mind a Buff in Damage... or better Recoil... or better Hipfire COF... or less CoF Bloom... just something lol... not much you could overbuff on this weapon---
  15. Tnsr

The Nyx has 334 max and 200 min damage, so 3 shots theoretically only gives you a kill if you can land a headshot or the enemy is BR1 and within 15 meters of range.
  16. Yutty

how much health does each classs have? a nyx head shot drops shields and some.
  17. Tnsr

I think uncerted shield+hp together makes 1000, Infiltrators 900.
    3x 334 max damage is 1002, just enough for an uncerted enemy. 3x 333 damage (about 12 meter distance) already isn't enough anymore, or it is an Infiltrator.

Another thing I might add about the Infiltrator semis:
    We are the weakest infight class but SOE somehow thought it is fine to make us STAND to fire our weapons, our CoF while moving is terrible compared to other weapons. In every other fps out there light armour/low hp means you class is the movement class. In a way this all makes sense.
    They made Infiltrator the weakest infight class AND forces them to stand if they want to hit a thing (besides SMGs, but those are not especially Infiltrator weapons).
    They also gave the semis the worst TTK AND the worst weapon handling.
    Being SOE game designer must be a fine job. Rolling the dice to determine stats numbers.
  18. Benton!

I did exactly the same thing. I scrapped my char shortly after because my KDR was something like .21. My pistol does better with my infiltrator.

Slug shotguns are not great, because your accuracy goes WAAAAY down when you move. Like, can't hit a target ADS while strafing at 25+m. So you have to stand still and shoot, which is a big nono.

And don't get me started about the bullet drop...
  19. Spazmodian

What I would like to see happen is to push up the projectile velocity from 500 up to 650 or 700 (yes higher than the bolt actions). Then change the damage drop-off profile so that it starts at 25m instead of 10m and ends at 125m instead of 85m. VS would be a bit farther out still as is the way their weapons are setup. This is from the perspective of a Warden user, but I think the battle and scout rifles both could follow the same rules excepting the higher damage on the scout rifles.

I feel this gives them a more defined role with a more unique balance method than simply more damage. It would help out a lot with using it in closer ranges against rapidly strafing/jumping targets.

Beyond those changes I would like a general overhaul of the flinch mechanic to scale based on the rate of fire of the weapon with an additional bonus for semi-automatic and bolt action weapons. But the first change could be hotfixed with little effort and this one would require a more detailed pass on all weapons.

I can't speak to the semi-auto sniper rifles.
  20. EvilKoala

Repeating whats been said in many other similar threads.. these rifles need some love. They're outclassed by many other more versatile weapons, even at their designated roles.