Launcher freezes my PC. I am a desperate man, please help...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by silenius, Nov 5, 2014.

1. silenius

Hello and thank you for a great game.
    The game ran fine from Beta until 3 months ago.
    I play many other games with no issue.

When I run the PS2 launcher, 9 times out off ten my PC hangs.
    I don't get a BSOD or a reeboot, the screen and all sound video and input freezes.

If I delete launcher.libs foldler or appdata folder, the launcher rebuilds itself, I reach the stage where I input my username and password, I then hit play and it crashes.

I have tried:
    Re installing windows and the game on three different hard drives.

Swapping out Ram. I have three different sets of Ram, all of which I have tried with just one stick in each slot.

Running both 32 and 64 bit clients on both 32 and 64 bit OS's (obviously not 64 client on 32 OS)

Trying latest Nvidea drivers (sure it's a launcher issue and video hasn't yet initialized at this stage)
    I have also tried rolling back to many different driver versions as far back as January 2013

Stress testing all of my components with prime95 etc
    Running all hardware at stock speeds.
    Running with all unnecessary components removed; sound card, DVD, USB, other hardrives etc
    I have tried running with an older Gcard on a fresh install.

As well as this I have tried all the solutions I can find online i.e.
    Running as administrator, adding exceptions to firewall/turning firewall off.
    I have no anti virus software installed.
    Running at lower resolutions.
    All latest firmware/chipset/component drivers as far as I am aware.

I am at my whits end. Can you please help me?

Best wishes,
    Silenius

Intel Q6600
    Asus P5k
    560ti
    8GB Corsair PC2 CM2X2048-6400C5DHX
    Windows 7 home 64 (tried 32 os and client)
  2. Shalalala

Could you describe the crash a bit more? If you disconnect peripherals connected through PS/2 or USB and reconnected them, will they light up or not? What PSU do you have and how old is it? Have you tried opening and looking at the hardware - is there dust? How is your CPU cooling doing? How is your GPU cooling doing? I'm just throwing everything that comes to my mind out there.

Consider opening a support ticket if you haven't done so already.
  3. silenius

Thank you Shalalala,
    When the launcher crashes, the screen stays on and the fans and lights stay on.

No input of any sort has any effect. Ctrl/alt/del doesn't have an effect nor does any mouse movement.

the PSU is a Crosair CX 600M and I have also tried another older PSU that works in another PC (heavily over clocked) so I can rule that out I think
    As for temps, I am running everything at stock at nominal temps. The case is clean and 24 hours of torture testing does not duplicate this problem.

It may be of interest that PS2 TEST SERVER works absolutely fine with no crashes.
    Is PS2 test running 32 but cient or using different DX version or something?

I am completely stumped.......
  4. Element17

I have the exact same issue. Never had an issue until the most recent patches. When launching the game it freezes my PC and I have to do a hard restart. I've encountered this before with PS2 and it was due to a graphics driver. This also happens when playing World of Warcraft when going into a specific zone.
  5. t31os

The only difference between PTS and Live right now are some third person adjustments if i'm not mistaken. You said the PTS server works just fine?
  6. silenius

I have found a solution!
    It is not desirable but it works 100% of the time.

I run PS2_setup.exe.
    Opt for "Reisntall / Repair"
    The launcher runs at the end of this process and works EVERY time.

I have tested this for a week now. Sometimes if I exit the client and restart it without rebooting windows it works. Sometimes it still crashes and hangs my OS
    If I reboot windows the launcher nearly always hangs my OS but not every time.

Like I said, my previous work around was to delete launcher.ibb folder and/or appdata folder.
    This was only unsuccessful just below 50% of the time but I could, with perseverance, play the game.

I am completely stumped as to why this is happening.
    Like I said in original post, I have swapped out ALL hardware except for the Motherboard (Asus P5k, up to date bios)
    Logic says in this case it must be the mobo but ALL other games work fine and when PS2 runs it plays like a dream.

Thoughts?