[BUG] Large FPS drops

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Beerbeerbeer

Getting large FPS drops while looking in the general direction of the Zerg, even if they’re not actually visible. I’m talking 50% or more dips and it’s graphically hitching and stuttering. I have relatively new computer with a GeForce 1080ti.

This game has freaking reverted back to ****.
    • Up x 1
  2. vonRichtschuetz

Usually the more players there are close to one another, the higher the load on the CPU.

Press alt+F in game to see the FPS counter. It also shows what's currently bottlenecking your FPS. My guess is it won't be your GPU in bigger fights.
    • Up x 1
  3. Somentine

I've been getting it to, and a few other people have confirmed lower fps.

Near the start of DX11 I could hold over 60 fps with some low/medium mixed graphics settings but now in anything over 24/24, or even in certain bases, I dip under 30 and it isn't even a constant low, it jumps quite a bit which makes it incredibly jarring.

Not sure when it started, but relatively recently (within a week or 2).
    • Up x 1
  4. tommyrocket

Can confirm bad FPS drops started around the week of June 12th. I'd just upgraded my GTX 750 Ti to a GTX 1660 Ti on the 10th ~ 11th or so. Played during those nights and the framerates were beautiful, with practically no input lag. Came back close to a week later, and it felt nearly unplayable. 24~48 vs 24~48 player fights are pushing my FPS down from the hundreds to the 40s now, which is ridiculous. No patch that week as far as I'm aware, not even an undocumented one.

i5 4690k @ 3.5 GHz (3.9GHz Turbo enabled, no speed step or spread spectrum)
    16GB 1600MHz RAM (Corsair Vengeance brand)
    EVGA GTX 1660 Ti SC 6GB
    Game has been tried on both my Samsung 850 Evo SSD and a normal slow HDD. Same issues of course, with some pop-in stutter/hitching when approaching large fights from farther away in an ESF when using both. Windows 10 Pro x64 not on SSD.

I honestly think even with this CPU I've had for the past 4 years, it shouldn't be this bad.

Shows [GPU] for me. Most people should know that counter is broken, though. For example, if you turn smoothing on and make sure to have increased its max fps setting in useroptions, (SmoothingMaxFramerate=144 for example) then it will always show [CPU] even if you turn it back off.

So far reducing resolution or any other graphics setting doesn't really yield any FPS boost. It's always either 144 ~ 220 in warpgate if uncapped, or else it's 40 ~ 100 depending how many people are nearby, or what direction I'm facing even if there's nothing for 1000 meters. Just to note, I haven't played since the hotfix today, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point for improvements from it.

The most annoying part of this performance drop is the incurred input lag. Makes aiming pretty much impossible, yet I'm playing against people who are still headshot gods when I'm pretty sure they should have felt the same drops, too. Not everyone can afford to bruteforce the game, and sure as heck not all of China/Japan/Korea. (looking at you, Connery players) Either there's some serious cheating going on or I'm one of the few people affected by this.
  5. InexoraVC

I always have the [GPU] message. My GTX1060 maximum load is 60%. CPU load is always 100% (all cores).I think that counter is broken.
    I have the same FPS drops in fights even if I see no players or vehicles and just looking at the sky.
  6. AlcyoneSerene

Last DX11 PTS test was the smoothest I've ever experienced this game, and we had a lot of players online at once, so much so that it kept crashing things and we had a hard time staying connected.

Since then it degraded significantly in two ways, unsteady FPS and microstuttering. I know at least part of the reason is graphics lag generated by certain interactions and effects: repairing your vehicle while looking around makes everything choppy; driving in a vehicle for an extended period of time and the microstuttering becomes permanent.

I'm glad the initial problem that I've reported on the bug site with extreme mouse response choppiness has been fixed since that was 100% game breaking, and other in-game friends also have noticed other such fixes slowly going in place. This needs to be priority until all culprits are identified and resolved.
  7. Scroffel5

I never really noticed, but now that you mention it, the max FPS I will ever get is 40, but I usually am around 23 or so. I have been at like 3 FPS recently.
  8. Magma52

I had been running the game at 5GHz on a delidded 8700k and some of the fastest RAM money can buy since 2017 with great framerates on my 180Hz monitor - only the truly huge battles would ever force my FPS below 120FPS.

Then the DX11 update came and the FPS plummeted ever since, along with a micro-stuttering that has outright prevented me playing the game. This is the longest I have been away from the game in years and I really want to play again, but stuttering and inexplicable FPS drops in my competitive online games is where I draw the line and just leave. It left me unable to aim and I simply can't tolerate it.
    • Up x 1
  9. iller

He DID say all of his computer was Relatively "New" which I'm going to Assume means he has atleast a SkyLake generation i5 which is also better than a previous generation i7 b/c all this game really cares about performance wise is how fast your BASE frequency on the Primary Core is and "Bus" or Northbridge Cache is (one of those you can't adjust at all, the other has to be done in BIOS)

-- some ppl swear by overclocking but this game has shoddy code that either causes Hitch & Stutter to get WORSE when OC'ing, or leads to a lot of MEM Leak which also results in similar Cache stutters

Disclaimer: if he's running a FX (bulldozer) cpu or one of the glitched bait and switch i9's however, then yes he dun' goofed
  10. InexoraVC

Does anybody play on PC with Xeon's CPU ?
    What is your rig and what is your frame rate ?

I have Xeon x5460 (4 cores) on LGA 775, OCed to 3.7 GHz, 16 GB RAM and GTX 1060.
    My FPS in large battles are about 35..45. 65-70 in smal/tiny battles, and 76-90 in VR Training.
    I can't play as an infantry because I can't aim due to low fps. I play mostly tanking.