Lag/Connection problems?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by S7rudL, Nov 13, 2013.

1. S7rudL

Those that have strange things going on like people warping, terminals not opening, login not authenticating, DCs shortly after you get in-game, game crashes at 98% or something similar might by now know that you are having a connection problem on one of the routes, If you didn't know that then now you know.

Whose fault is it?
    Its no ones fault really, people that have previously played MMOs and online games for a long time will probably know that this is a common issue.

It may appear as the servers would not work properly but that's not the case, stuff breaks/deteriorates and has technical limits.

Well then what is it?
    By quickly looking on google on how the network works you will notice that you connect thru a series of peering points, switches and what not. Maybe some of them are broken or your connection is on some ridiculous route that doesn't work well. Broken/bad cable somewhere? Who knows.

Also, most of you will know that the servers like to protect themselves behind proxy servers and DDOS firewall filters such as CloudFlare, Incapsula, HyperFilter etc,.. those are necessary and in some instances probably can lower the quality of connection. The original location of the server is then unknown.

What can I do about it?
    You can do very little to actually fix it yourself, provide them with the ping route you are on. Not much else you could do.

What will they do about it?
    From what I can see SONY also has/is an ISP, most of the stuff they can fix themselves. The rest that is owned by other companies they can notify or something.

Why are they ignoring the majority of reports?
    They are not, in some other post you will find that they are collecting data. If you need to provide them with some data or not I dont know, they haven't announced anything.

Instead of replying to the spam of reports they would probably want to invest more time into investigating the problem. Although copy pasting something would be nice in a way. But then you would probably moan again.

If you are desperate maybe you could try the following,
    1. If the connection works fine in one instance then look up for the IP on which you are receiving/transmitting.

2. Look up for the DNS IP via http://whatismyipaddress.com/

3. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and add
    67.215.65.132 amspsn-liv-gw01.planetside2.com
    67.215.65.132 amspsn-liv-gw02.planetside2.com
    67.215.65.132 amspsn-liv-gw03.planetside2.com
    67.215.65.132 amspsn-liv-gw04.planetside2.com
    67.215.65.132 amspsn-liv-gw05.planetside2.com
    67.215.65.132 amspsn-liv-gw06.planetside2.com
    NOTE: This is what I get for playing on Miller. Ping/get your own DNS IP!

I wouldn't recommend this at all, but If I get connection issues then I will definitely try it. This IP worked best for me in the previous day while some other similar IP did not.

Hope that helps some of you to have something to munch on while you rage on why you get DCed. :D
  2. S7rudL

I get pings as high as 200+ on,
    64.37.174.148 lvspsn-liv-l01.planetside2.com

[IMG]

I also cant play and am honestly fed up.

Fix your f*** c***, the servers are probably not even located in EU. What a shi**y service.
  3. S7rudL

This one works fine now, it always did. Such a pity that users have to go thru this.

I can play on this one that is currently receiving/sending, some times it selects some weird routes.

[IMG]

This problem may also apply to Vivox voice chat of why it randomly stops working, where no one is listed in the voice chat.
  4. L33T-T3CH

Did you mean Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc find the "host" file and add those addresses?. because you will probably have people sending you msgs like IDK what do i add them to =)
  5. S7rudL

It doesn't work, I have tried it and the game crashes when it loads because it cant login. So no one should bother doing it.

I would always like to use that specific route because it works best for me.
  6. Adept

Adding stuff to hosts isn't the answer. It just works around DNS issues. If the resolved IP isn't the same as it's supposed to be, then SOE needs to verify the registration at the domain name registration service they use.
    Changes and updates should synch relatively fast after a fix.

Incidentally I've submitted an issue at "https://help.soe.com/" for about 1.5 day, but I haven't been contacted for routing information. In fact I haven't been told anything.
    Not even a generic response. Needless to say.. no public announcments to be found regarding this topic.
    The problem simply isn't acknowledged.
    SOE will be bleeding trust and respect despite the performance improvment efforts.
    Some users speculate that it's the corp "Pro-Sieben" - not that it matters, since the problem is hurting SOE's reputation mainly.
    [Isn't Pro-7 a television channell? eh whatever..]
  7. S7rudL

The resolved DNS names are fine.

The problem is that the game sometimes chooses a route that doesn't work well at all for some reason.

I wonder what would happen if I would ban the specified bad egg IP, maybe it would auto chose another one, preferably the good one.

It works fine on a certain range of IP routes, like others have already described it that by retrying it a few times it suddenly works fine.
  8. Adept

I think the main issue is with reading the character databases.

This is the reason for the missing membership bonus to passive certificate gains, the non-matching location - you are in warpgate, but a different location name is shown above the mini-map... since you've been droped as a BR1 new character into a hot zone. This is why i get killed sometimes in the warpgate.. the reason for not usable terminals - since i'm not there at all according to the servers..