LA, two primaries?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by asdfPanda, Sep 19, 2014.

1. asdfPanda

Before I begin, I would like to preface that, although the topic of LA having the ability to have two primaries has been discussed a bit in the past, I would like to bring the topic back.

People have suggested giving the LA class ARs. However, I believe that solution to be a little of a band-aid fix, and would require rebalancing of ARs. That is for another suggestion.

Giving the LA another primary weapon in the tool slot would expand the LA's versatility to give the class another "trait" to go with mobility. Some would claim that LAs would only use a carbine and a shotgun 24-7. However, that thought is a little short sighted. Some options that I could think of now, using the TR as an example, are:

-Jaguar + Cougar/T5 AMC: Short/medium range + long range. The LA would be less gimped in close quarters versus other classes.

-Any weapon + Shotty: Gives LA an edge in CQC.

-Any weapon + UBGL/HSNV smoke weapon: For those moments when you're transitioning into nighttime or your allies/enemies are using smoke.

-Shotty +Shotty: Run out of ammo? Pull out another shotty.

-Cougar + T5 AMC: Run out of ammo? Pull out another weapon.

-Weapon +Suppressed Weapon: When you don't want to be gimped at range, but still need a suppressor

Thoughts?
  2. Iridar51

All our options are CQC anyway. You won't get much versatility than while simply running a carbine.
    If we at least had a Battle Rifle I might have agreed, but as it stands, even our best ranged options are much worse than ARs / LMGs.
  3. Doc Jim

As it is, giving LAs access to "battlerifles" wouldn't do much damage, if any, to the overall balance.

Edit: but two primaries? Erm, nah. I'm not even going to argue that the increased flexibility would be OP, but rather that the increased ammunition pool would be OTT. You'll put half of those poor engineers out of work ;-)
  4. Corezer

doesn't do much.
  5. Nehlis

Im pretty sure the lack of sustainability in-field is one of the defining weaknesses of the LA.
  6. asdfPanda

Eh, you'd still do better at range with a Pulsar C than a VX6-7, or a Razor over a Bandit.

I don't know, it just feels like LA needs something to flesh out the class. Stimpacks, an extra weapon, radar jammer, whatever.

Would a common ammo pool alleviate that balance problem? Also, even if the munitions were kept seperate, you'd still have to get ammo for your "primary" primary.
    • Up x 1
  7. Iridar51

Oh, I agree. I just don't think carrying another one of our CQC weapons is it :)
    BTW, thanks for sticking your neck out for us Light Assaults in Zoran's stream with David Carey.
  8. asdfPanda

Yeah, np, even though class updates aren't a thing anymore T_T. I'd still take bug fixes and stabilization, at any rate.
  9. Iridar51

Every time I hear Higby or Carey speak or answer a question it becomes immediately apparent how far away they are removed from the game, how little are they aware / care about issues that make us ragequit and hate their otherwise acceptable game.
    Makes me sad panda koala :(
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. Lord_Avatar

First of all - LAs are not gimped in CQC - shotguns and SMGs aside, Carbines are inherently more CQC-oriented than most other weapons in PS2.

A second primary - no, just... no. Giving LA access to Battle Rifles would be a better idea, but somehow I just don't dig it. They seem too cumbersome (not compact enough if you will) for a Light Assault (subjective, yes).

Maybe buffing Jetpacks would do the trick? +20% to overall speed and maneuverability? How about adding true Jump-jets? No flight capabilities, but high and frequent frog-like tech-powered leaps instead?

Just tossing ideas around...
  11. asdfPanda

I understand that LAs are fare well in CQC; the point I was trying to make was that if say, an LA were using a Pulsar C, the LA would do better in CQC if he/she could pull out a Serpent or something.

I wouldn't be opposed to buffing jetpacks. Jetpacks always seemed a little sluggish to me.
  12. M2_Bradley

This won't matter since the life span of an average LA is 45 seconds.You won't change the range at which you're fighting within that time.