LA+NSX Tanto?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarAnubis, Jul 1, 2018.

1. DarkStarAnubis

As LA I often engage at distance but there are occasions in which you came face to face with enemies (trees, ledges, inside buildings,..)

Considering distance engagements I have always used Pulsar C/Cougar/AC-X11 with a x4 sight, suffering therefore at close range.

Now I am experimenting with the NSX Tanto: yes it is a kind of pea shooter but it is a very precise pea shooter and of top of that you can hip fire for a while (long enough to survive) if you meet someone very close. The 3.4 sight it kind of odd, but not bad.

Any opinion? Is anybody out there using the Tanto?

It reminds me the NS-15M as weapon style: you have to be accurate or face the consequences.
  2. adamts01

I prefer the NS-11C, which is probably my favorite gun in the game. The only reason I use the Tonto is when I take longer flanking routs and need all that extra ammo. The Tonto is still a good gun, but against really twitchy/laggy players it doesn't have the dps to drop them quickly enough. And that seems to be about the only type of target on Connery these days.
  3. AEROCHAOSS

Why do you use a 4x scope on the pulsar?
    If getting in close combat this gun is still pretty decent with hip fire. Deadly NC dakka dmg, awesome reload speed. Just burst discipline is needed upon close. Else use a good sidearm.
    I'd recommend a 2x scope as the bullet velocity isn't that great. The other guns no idea.
  4. Prudentia

The only good thing about the Tanto is the extended ammo reserve. that perk alone can mean endless farming, however the gun itself is "meh", the Merc is a straight upgrade to it.

The Pulsar C is definitely my second favorite VS carbine, i run it with a 2x and lasersight, deadly at range, deadly up close.
    however in my quest to auraxium every single VS carbine available i came across the Solstice Burst. 2x and laser sight here too and you have something that can hose people down at range and at close. all you need is about an hour or 2 of getting used to the rythm.
    a very "easy" choice is also the NS11C. it's simple, it's reliable and with a compensator, Foregrip and HVA it's great at range. i'd take it over the tanto any day of the week.
  5. Eternaloptimist

I used the Tanto because free. I found it super-accurate at medium range with burst firing to avoid the eventual CoF bloom but had to rely on headshots at closer range (at which I am erratic). I enjoyed using it but found the NS11C just as good, if not slightly better, in my hands at least

Eventually I found I could achieve the same with small-CoF ES carbines equipped with foregrip and comp (where available) - Zenith, T5AMC and Bandit. Zenith and Bandit also benefit from 0.75 ADS which can be helpful. I have been using 2x sights but I am shifting to 1x red dot. I also run SPA, where available, for a bit of edge in close quarters and the better RoF than Tanto is probably a factor in favour of the ES weapons too.

I also had fun with the burst carbines when their accuracy was buffed but I haven't used them recently enough to make a comparison. They were exclusively for medium range use and the only carbines on which I have used a larger sight (3.4x IIRC).
  6. Lee Weldon

At first I thought the tanto was good, but I also thought the merc was a good gun (before I realised it couldn't take HVA/SPA), it's the only other option I have. I think these two guns are far inferior to any other gun, with the exception of the extremely accurate 4 headshot to kill up close with the tanto and the peak over wall playstyles, I think the tanto is absolutely rubbish for anything else. But you can already see just looking at its stats, first three shots are likely to hit the enemy, but players are most likely to miss their first shots if they missed any at all. This and the damage is so low, only in that it doesn't matter so much in ranges where it still does 125 damage (4 shot head kill on most at <39m). But I trialed it also with the 3.4x scope and found the recoil to be way too uncontrollable. At least for NC, you would easily take razor or ns11-c if you liked to hipfire for a more accurate option. I've also theory crafted that it might be good at finishing off targets that are hit by near lethal damage.
  7. MonnyMoony

I haven't tested it recently - but a few weeks back I found it's fire rate to be much lower than the stated 600RPM (more like 480-500).

At 600RPM it should empty it's 30 round magazine in 3 seconds. I found it took almost 4 seconds.

I like it as a weapon - but I felt it's effectiveness was being reduced massively by it's slow fire rate.
  8. Demigan

The Tanto is pretty good for ranges combat if you have the right trigger finger and if you absolutely have to do CQC comvat make sure you are closing in fast as you hipfire.

If you want something for both range and CQC theres only one weapon I would recommend: the burst variant Carbines. They are good at any range, great with 3,4 scope (just make sure you aim before you open fire) and can easily Chain hits in CQC/near midrange with hipfire.

I'm always surprised to find practically no one uses them even after their update. When I'm finally done auraxing every Carbine, SMG and Shotgun I'm first returning to this weapon.
    • Up x 1
  9. Rydenan

Tanto is the best long-range automatic rifle in the game, IMO. (except maybe the Tomoe, but that isn't available to LA)
    Versus the NS-11c, it has slightly more bloom per shot, but the critical stat is that it starts with ZERO CoF in all stances, including stand-move-ADS (the most common for me). The 11c starts at 0.25 CoF and has 0.01 less bloom per shot, meaning it will take ~25 rounds of full-auto for the Tanto to become less accurate than the 11c. Basically a whole magazine. (this calculation doesn't take into account the slight differences in RoF, but you get the idea.)

And the 0 initial CoF means that the first shot(s) will be exactly on-target. If you wait to fire until your crosshair is dead-on, this gun will reward you.

It also has the option for extended mags and has a large ammo pool.

The hipfire is weaker than the 11c in CQC due to the much higher bloom, but it's still more than competitive if you can control your bursts and try to use the 0 CoF starting hipfire accuracy to land headshots.
  10. Prudentia

the difference between the tomoe and the tanto is that the tomoe does damage.
  11. CaptCran

12. Lee Weldon

When you say it takes 25 shots to become less accurate, thats from a purely ADS perspective. I tend to use tanto for hipfiring, I think I should maybe try the tanto with forward grip instead of extended mags, but I'm also contemplating taking this gun down to a 1x reflex sight and using it like an AC-X11, I don't even really have good recoil management on this gun at >30m (around here I don't know the excact point but I run with distance tracking on my implants, find this mandatory) where I can reliably ADS on 2x without. But where the accuracy of this gun falls short is that, if you miss a bullet or two on other gun variants, its forgiven by the guns natural high DPS values (ROF x DPB). But I tend to also look at it like, if 4 bullets is your TTK then you also have other gun variants with >125 DPB that have higher ROF (often over 700 RPM) can afford to miss one bullet every 7 for every 6 shots you land.
  13. Lee Weldon

The guy in the video, what he did, really could of been done with any gun, the problems that I experienced with the tanto is from much further ranges than this. But I think he is right to be using a low mag scope and I think he is right to use the gun the way he is, I just from those damage values, want and expect it to be much better at longer ranges. I hate when people put up videos of kill sprees with guns because for instance, I could put up a video of me going on a 20 kill spree with the SAS-R in CQC sniping but I find sometimes landing 20 headshots in a row is possible, but that doesn't mean I can replicate that result against both factions when their good players log in, even though it's something that happens often enough, that if I recorded for a week I'd probably have three videos of just this.
  14. DarkStarAnubis

I found that I need the extended magazine more than the grip. With the zero CoF you are tempted to engage at greater distance than other weapons, only to find out you are bound to miss shots anyway since the enemy is moving so you need extra rounds to finish him due to the pitiful DPS-

Engagement at distance seems to me the most risk effective way to use the Tanto traits: you can score hits but for your adversary is far more difficult due to the distance --> now all the trees of Hossin and Amerish are great friends.

But in CQC no way, the default carbines are far better.
  15. Rydenan

Anyone who's ever used any NS weapon knows that above-average accuracy can easily make up for below-average DPS.
    • Up x 1
  16. Prudentia

the NS11C trades accuracy for DPS
    The tanto on the other hand is just a stupid weapon.
    the 0° CoF is about as useful as a 100x headshot multiplier that doesn't work on MAXes would be for bolt actions.
  17. LtBomber

Yes, the Tanto is a worse NS11C, but you can make it work: Make use of the high ammo count, and ADS with 0.75. The Hipfire is just a bonus, use it for "burst-pseudo ADS with 1.0 mobility for 3 shots" when extra mobility is needed (chasing someone down).
    • Up x 1
  18. adamts01

I do like the gun, but it really could use a bloom reduction to make it competitive in the right hands. Either that or a very slight headshot multiplier increase. Or less damage falloff. Any of those things would bring it up to speed, keep it unique, but not make it OP.
  19. Rydenan

Tanto is more accurate than NS11c.

Tanto also has better avg. KPH, better avg accuracy, and significantly higher avg KDR than the NS11c.
    Among BR100s, Tanto avg. KDR is 30% higher than NS11c avg. KDR.
  20. Prudentia

the NS11C came out years ago
    The tanto is new
    i too have better stats with the tanto than the solstice just because i used the solstice 5 years ago
    • Up x 1