Keybinds reset,Gamepad support absoutely jacked

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sixstring, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Sixstring

So I logged in realized I couldn't move with my gamepad ( cheap steel series from Gamestop) then remembered that the Keybinds were to be reset with this patch. So I said fine I'll reset them for the tenth time,I've already redone my Gamepad keybinds numerous times perfecting the layout and then several more times from just screwing them up myself. But now the game won't take any input from the gamepad I reset my system and everything I get no response except one downward movement on the analog stick which registers as something else entirely. I CANNOT go back to using the keyboard too many handcramps and it's just unwieldy. Please fix it so that gamepads work again.
    • Up x 1
  2. Obstruction

try using xpadder (free version), or a better gamepad like the Logitech F310 (also cheap, like $20). i know you're mad and wanting the devs to fix it, but like most things in life you'll be happier faster if you suck up the inconvenience and fix it yourself.
  3. Ronin Oni

Wait.....

You play with a GAMEPAD???

What's your K/D? .03?
    • Up x 2
  4. MotionBlured

They have gamepad support?
  5. Ronin Oni

Yes/No

They do, but it was terrible in my experience.

I can't imagine anyone actually using it o_O
  6. MotionBlured

My brother said he couldn't get it to work, and I said "that's because you shouldn't be using it".
    • Up x 1
  7. Ronin Oni

If you want to play PS2 on a gamepad, honestly... wait for PS4 version.

No Joke.

First off, if you can't play PC FPS because handcramps, wtf are you even doing with a gaming PC??

I imagine PC gamepad support will improve as PS4 version is finished since they'll use the same core build and just have different UI (meaning on PC you'll still need K/M for lots of UI interaction) but even still you'll be at a HUGE disavantage in any gunfight.

As a side note, it'd be awesome if PC players could play on Playstation servers by having all input but Gamepad diisabled in the game to make for an even playing field.

I don't wanna buy a PS4, but It'd be awesome to play with some old console friends who will be playing it on PS4.

Tall order, I don't expect it... but it WOULD be cool.
  8. DK22

Lots of people do.
    I use keyboard, mouse, and gamepad.
    it just acts like a second mini keyboard, makes doing some things a little easier.
    • Up x 2
  9. Sixstring

Don't you get handcramps or carpal tunnel from that ****? I play for maybe an hour or two every couple of days and with a mouse and keyboard my my hands and wrists are killing me,makes me quit sometimes. I'm not old I'm 20 and I've never had this problem with a gamepad.
  10. Ronin Oni

I'm 33 and no, I don't have this problem.

Maybe it's my skeletor long and thin hands.

Maybe it's just conditioning, I've got years of finger yoga practice in and so my hands aren't bothered by it.

In any case, I can't imagine playing on gamepad against EVERYONE ELSE using M/K.

Actually, I don't have to imagine. I played Shadowrun on 360 against Windows players (That one game they experiemented XPlatform with) and it was an absolute bloody nightmare.

If you can't play games on M/K, I seriously don't know why you're playing games on PC... you should be by all rights playing games on console. I'd recommend PS4 (particularly with PS2 coming out in the next 3-4 months).

I do use a gamepad on my PC of course, for games that are just better for it. Platformers, fighting, and some flying games (NOT PS2 though)

I fly in BF4 using Gamepad only, I'm just a lot better at it that way. a LOT better. Like wreck face instead of lol crash.

But for Infantry combat? No way in hell. I have years of Console FPS experience too, so it's not that I can't do it, it's that gamepad is just too inferior at aim quickness to even consider it against mouse users.
  11. Sixstring

My K/D is terrible but that's because I don't really try NOT to die like some people. I'm very reckless and I will try to continue fights where I am WAY (Wayyyyy!) outnumbered. Honestly I don't think most M/KB users are as good as they think they are,people would be surprised how effective and easy a controller is to use in the right hands. But yeah the game is not tuned for gamepads they're still more comfortable though.
  12. Crator

I get hand cramps when using a game-pad, but I'm not used to using one... I don't have that problem with keyboard/mouse, but I use them all the time... Muscle memory issue...
  13. Ronin Oni

I'm exceedingly reckless and pull a 1.4 K/D

The problem with gamepad is reaction speed.

With a mouse I can snap to any point on the screen in an instant and start putting bullets on target. A controller, while increasing sensitivity can speed it up, it also likewise makes it far mroe difficult to control, and even still is at least twice, if not 3-5 times slower than mouse.

When you watch live gameplay (of any FPS game), you can always tell if it's a controller or mouse based on their look behaviors.

Mouse I can look left and right in less than a second. Controller it's like 2 full seconds, slow, consistent panning speed.

The very mechanics of analog stick for aiming/looking is simply technically inferior. There's no 2 ways about this and it's been proven. As I said they did a 360/Windows X-Platform game (Shadowrun) and 360 players got STOMPED. (I was on the 360 side, and considered myself a pretty good Controller FPS player at the time, averagine 2-3 K/D in Battlefield BC2 at the time. I went something like 1/15 in Shadowrun)

Analog sticks are just slower, and in a game of 2-3 second, MAX, firefights, an extra .5-1 second of time just to get x-hairs on target is a death sentence.
    • Up x 1
  14. MotionBlured

Controllers lack precision, which is why consoles have aim assist.
  15. Ronin Oni

You can be pretty precise... I used to play BASR sniper in BC1 & 2 on 360 and didn't have much problem getting headshots w/o any aim assist.

It's different though. You have to combine strafe + aim to be effective. Against people who just snap on target with mouse only, it's no contest.
  16. Hatesphere

I used to get that, then I adjusted my chair height and desk set up so that i wasn't bending at my wrists in strange ways to use the keyboard and mouse. A huge amount of carpal issues are ergonomics issues, that's why its called repetitive strain.
    throw a few hand and wrist stretches ontop of that and I haven't had an issue for years.
    • Up x 1
  17. NinjaTurtle

Game pads do not work properly and never have since release.

Joystick sensitivity is broken for a start. You also can't press 2 buttons at once. So for example you can't fire and activate your ability at the same time. You have to do one then the other. The game does not react to the second input etc etc etc

Game pad support will probably eventually make it's way to PC in a workable form once PS4 is released.... I would assume
  18. Lamat

It would be nice if we could export keybinds. I've backed up the ini files (or config I don't remember) but it seems you have to delete them every so often and start from scratch when you start getting crashes to desktop. Exporting keybinds as a supported in-game feature would be nice, so that it's forward compatible with game updates.
  19. MotionBlured

It's very difficult to be precise and quick. There's also a lot of vertical movement in PS2. Controllers would probably be just fine on vehicles, especially aircraft if they configured it correctly.
  20. MrSilk

there are many people who play with game pad. I move/steer with gamepad and aim/fire with mouse. I have higher than 1.5 KDR total too.
    • Up x 3