Just Remove the Ability to Shoot Through Spawn Shields

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PhysicsMan, Aug 25, 2013.

1. PhysicsMan

One of the major flaws of this game, on my opinion, is the fact that defenders may shoot out from inside their spawn room (or teleporter rooms) - it encourages camping and is generally a nuisance. Why not just make all spawn room shields like those in towers?

This would pretty much stop people from just sitting in spawn rooms and teleporter rooms all day shooting out at attackers silly enough to stay in the line of fire for too long - it's a simple solution which I'm sure has been suggested many times before, but for some reason has not been implemented yet. As far as I am concerned, spawn rooms are just there for protection of the defenders so that they don't die as soon as they spawn - but they shouldn't be used as invincible bunkers from which the defenders can shoot through to the hearts' content.

I'm sure that if this suggestion was implemented it would help to alleviate the nonsensical system of tens of defenders camping spawn rooms until the attackers have captured a base in a continuing chain all along the lattice link - instead, it would encourage the defenders to do the right thing and retreat to the next base (when they know their current one is doomed) and pull vehicles / prepare defences as to repel the attackers.

Also, it would help the all too common tedious situation of camping teleporter rooms in Bio Labs from occurring if the attackers couldn't shoot from inside the shields. The best Bio Lab fights are when the attackers have actually made it inside the Lab and are at certain points and buildings within whilst the defenders are protecting the remaining points and buildings whilst trying to repel the attackers and contain them. Once the attackers just become bottled inside the teleporter room, it just gets boring again.

I, myself, cannot see any potential major flaws with such a feature being implemented - the shield system inside towers are already like this and they have improved tower fights as it encourages the defenders to actually break out rather than sitting behind the shields shooting.

Thanks.
  2. illgot

That's like asking them to "just fix all crosshairs so they are properly centered.

Easy to say, but nearly impossible for them to execute.
  3. PieBringer

Because everyone wants to be entirely unable to deal with mines just outside every doorway.

It's somewhat less troublesome for towers because of the limited room for attackers to sit aiming at the defense shields, but it's still a stupid mechanic.
  4. UberBonisseur

The keyword here is:

Does more hurt than good
    • Up x 1
  5. PhysicsMan

I can't see why it would be too difficult for them to implement this feature - they seemed to do it with towers without much of a hiccup, so one can only logically extrapolate this to assuming that it wouldn't be that hard for them to bring the same feature to every spawn and teleporter room.
  6. PhysicsMan

Please elaborate.
  7. UberBonisseur

1-way shields are supposed to help defenders get out of the spawn.

Instead a majority stay inside to farm kills
  8. DeadliestMoon

Fixed.
    • Up x 1
  9. Necron

Truth be told, by the time it gets to that point you are fully spawn camped and there really isn't anything else TO do while you wait for the last 2 - 3 minutes of the timer to run out.
  10. HadesR

Maybe if they fixed base design .. Defense ( Esamir walls do not equal defensible ) , Spawn room location , Spawn room size , Spawn room exits .. It might be a good idea ..

But as the bases currently stand it would be a bad idea .. Spawn rooms would be to easily locked down by to few units
  11. Phyr

It doesn't matter what they do to spawn rooms, as long as they know where you're going to spawn they will find a way to camp it.
  12. Hibiki54

Don't spawn camp. Simple as that.
  13. UberBonisseur

You don't get it do you ?
  14. Hibiki54

I get it, but if anyone complains about being shot from the spawn room/teleporter room, why are they letting someone get free kills.

It's simple, as I stated. SOE is not going to change it.
  15. UberBonisseur

You don't get it.
    • Up x 1
  16. HadesR

Neither do people who just say " Make it so you can't shoot out " which would be nothing more than a band aid for attackers and totally miss the problems.
  17. RobotNinja

OMG! It's soooo lame right? Those dirty campers, camping within their own spawnroom! While the poor, tragically outnumbered enemy forces attempt to get even a single kill.

Meanwhile...everyday in PS2 in every faction on every map...

Just look at those 5 lame spawncampers (the red dots) in the middle of the spawnroom! If they would just all push together at the same time instead of just sitting inside there shooting out I'm positively, absolutely sure they wouldn't immediately be insta-gibbed by 20 tanks, esfs, harassers, infantry platoons and rocket launchers.

Well, if it's just so incredibly hopeless they should just leave and spawn somewhere else. Hey, uh...could you guys just leave and let us capture this base? Gee...thanks.

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  18. Purg

Looking at your created date it looks like you missed the time where spawn rooms usually had two small doors either side of a rectangular room where you could simply roll up a couple of tanks, ESF or Liberators and take a base with a much smaller force. Any people spawning in and trying to defend the base were instantly vaporised.

Given the design of bases currently, shooting from within spawn shields is the lesser of two evils. Tower shields sort of work because there's 8 unique exits into the facility which is harder for an attacking force to camp. Quite common to see explosives dropped in front of exits, though.

Having played since beta, I don't recall a single time I've been killed by someone behind a spawn shield. If you're trapped in one, unable to take two steps outside without being killed, move on to the next base to set up a defense or a counter attack. If you're peeved that half your team is cowering behind a spawn shield, welcome to the wonderful world of MP gaming.. where methods of cheese kills are researched and found.. then exploited.
  19. ironeddie

Spawn rooms should be completely removed from the game. There no more spawn camping. Instead players are randomly beamed into random parts of the base. Have it smart enough so a squad can bean in together. Occasionally random bad luck would have you beam in next to an enemy who gets an easy kill maybe. But I'd would still be better than spawn rooms.
  20. Excretus Maximus

Translation:
    When I outnumber my opponents, I want to pound them into dust, removing any possibility that they may find some enjoyment in the game by getting a few kills on people dumb enough to stand in view. What I fail to realize is that when the enemy factions get demoralized enough, they will simply quit the game altogether. But hey, who cares? As long as I get my way.
    • Up x 3