Joystick

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeathTollDavid, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DeathTollDavid

I have this little bestbuy coupon burning a hole in my pocket. I was thinking of picking up a joystick and wondered if that helped any of you with flying.

I should point out I have no issues at all with flying, but thought a joystick would make it more enjoyable.
  2. Erilis

I was told most people just use mouse and keyboard.
    Seems like joystick would make it more enjoyable overall (more immerse experience) and maybe a bit easier or more intuitive to control.

I'd like to hear from someone who actually uses or has used a joystick for flying in PS2.
  3. Kristan

People say that joystick sensitivity is a big problem in this game, making it useless. So buy it on your own risk, might not be worth it.

Buuut Higby promised that they will try to do something about it during ESF update.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ghosty11

I can't stand flying with the mouse and keyboard, with that said, joystick support in this game is horrible. They really need to upgrade support, allow separate sensitivity sliders for the yaw, pitch and rotation, and make the hat switch work with the view pan. Hopefully the PS4 version of the game will expand support.
    • Up x 2
  5. Ghosty11

It's not useless, but not acceptable if you plan on doing any sort of competitive flying, as the mouse and keyboard combo is more accurate for aiming.
  6. NinjaTurtle

The sensitivity settings are crap and don't work with sticks.

This will likely be fixed when it's released for PS4 because flying will be controlled by pad sticks there so hopefully the fix will be patched over to PC
  7. Duvenel

8. Ronin Oni

Mouse accuracy reigns supreme in the skies....

that said, for flying Libs and Gals it can be more pleasurable
  9. Erilis

Disappointing. You'd really think any game with aerial combat these days would have competent joystick controls.
  10. Ronin Oni

they work.... but it's just the flight model in this game isn't suited for Joysticks... you have more control over lining up your sights with the mouse

Particularly when, which is usually the case, you end up in a RM dogfight.

The fast "snap to" precision of mouse aim just makes joysticks inferior for lining up.

If they flew like jets in modern warfare and WW2 dogfighting games, then a joystick would likely be more preferable.

It's the air dancing that makes M/K better
    • Up x 1
  11. Goretzu

Using a joystick to fly in PS2 is like using your ear to write with, very difficult, extremely awkward and no matter how bad you are with your hand/a mouse it'll still be much better and easier to use that.

Wait till the PS4 version comes out and hopefully they'll have had to fix joystick support for it, until then it's just not worth it.
  12. Erilis

Makes sense.
  13. Spude

I dont think joysticks will be useful in arcade games like PS2.

I used mine in simulators.
  14. Ronin Oni

as I noted earlier, Flying libs and Gals it works because there is no real air dancing, and being able to max out pitch/roll without extra keybinds makes it actually preferable in some ways.
  15. DeathTollDavid

Thanks. It sounds like it would be more work for me than I would care about doing. Although with the coupon we are only talking $15 so it's like it's a huge investment. Grrr. Most likely you probably talked me out of it though.
  16. IamDH

I tried using an Xbox controller, it was terrible
  17. Ghosty11

You would probably change your tune if PS2 had the proper joystick support. Flying the ESF in PS2 is no different than flying a helicopter gunship, which is done just fine with a joystick in any number of simulations with proper joystick support. The major reason that most dog fighting in PS2 ends up in a reverse maneuver circle jerk is that making other simple flight maneuvers with a mouse and keyboard is more complicated than they need to be.
  18. KAHR-Alpha

I use a joystick, always, because I can't stand flying with mouse+keyboard.

Pros: maneuvers are way more efficient, overall you have more control over your aircraft, especially the thrust

Cons:
    - chinese hat still not supported properly, even though it's been reported (people just don't care) https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/fix-the-views-with-a-joystick.137177/
    - the combination of PS2's flight model ( aka "hover jousts online"), low TTK and bad joystick support (the way PS2 handles that is just proof of someone's incompetence), means that your accuracy will be much lower compared to aiming with a mouse

Basically, PS2's air game is just gross arcade stuff not designed for joysticks, but I won't give up.
  19. DeathTollDavid

20. CHDT65

Thrustmaster Evo.
    Magnetic system is amazing.
    Most precise thing I ever used.