Its really time for a revamp of Indar

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Revel, Feb 11, 2015.

1. VonStalin

I think adding some "copy-paste" buildings and teleport rooms wouldn't take much time or effort. I see it as one day job only.
  2. VonStalin

I think adding some "copy-paste" buildings and teleport rooms wouldn't take much time or effort. I see it as one day job only.
  3. DQCraze

Indar needs some help. Amerish is still my favorite followed by Hossin.

Yes the Indar fights come down to the Tech Plants and makes for stale game play. Both southern warp gates are allowed to push the Tech plants within minutes while Northern wg has mostly a defensive stance.
  4. Onhil

I'm for an Indar revamp at one point. IMO a lot of the bases on that continent sucks and are terrible. Not becuase Veichles or Air fram the **** out of infantry players because I don't give a damn about that at all.

I hate being stuck in the same area slowly pushing in or out. Bio Labs, The Stronghold, Indar Ex, Tawrich to Crossroads, Ti Alloys, Scarred mesa skydock, etc. I did not include subterranean becuase sticky nades exist.

My play style of being a lone wolfing HA, sometimes in a squad with some of my outfit mates might be a reason behind this.

Hossin is my favorite continent becuase I find most of the bases there to be very well made compared to the wall bases on Esamir.

If lets say the romoved a lot of the fog on Hossin, alot of the foliage, rocks and some of the god damn mountains there I think people would actually like the continent aswell even with some of the confusing beases there
  5. Revel

For who? This is a game, its meant to be fun, not a RL war simulator. All the vast open does is allow cheese like ultra long range shelling from vehicles and libs at the flight ceiling, and abuse from long range AV turrets that shot from 4 hexes away and raven spam.

Northern Indar needs more cover. Despite what you think, not all deserts are flat. Most deserts aren't even all sand.
  6. Revel

Real life tactics would be infantry fighting inside the base, because historically tanks fare poorly in urban close combat. See Grozny, Stalingrad, Berlin, etc.

Vehicle combat =/= must have huuuuuuuuuuge flat open space.
  7. AlterEgo

Indar is the best place to fight on all of Auraxis. The great canyons, the sufficient amount of plains, and the great locations of all important facilities make for intense infantry pushes, massive tank battles, or combined air-infantry fights. However, we can only agree that Esamir is without doubt a tanker's dream. That place is the MEANING of open plains.
  8. Meeka

Really, the only revamp this game needs is less bases.

They should get rid of 2/3rds of the bases, and instead put ruins in them that says there 'used' to be a base there.

That way, fighting between bases will be highly encouraged, instead of not only at bases. It's really stupid that every base, literally, has a neighbour right next door.
  9. Pokebreaker

Not gonna lie, I hate Indar. Almost every base I spawn into is encircled with tanks and vehicles. Good on the assaulting force for using a strategy that works. I just redeploy. I ONLY like Indar for sniping. Nice open fields, and plenty of flanking positions to headshot players hiding behind a single rock, thinking they are safe to pick their nose real quick.
  10. Yuki10

Indar is by far the best map - it has a bit of everything. If they touch it - they will break the map and then the game is done for good.
  11. ColonelChingles

For... vehicles?

I mean if you talk about fun, you're essentially just focusing on an infantry-centric experience. Most of the game is already infantry-centric, and there is very little that is "fun" for vehicles.

What tankers like are interesting tank battles. And making things too crowded gets in the way of that. Having wide, open areas that need to be fought across does several things for tanks:

1) An ideal arena for tank battles. The area around Indar Excav is a great example of this. Largely flat and open, with a few ridges, formations, or buildings to create instanced cover. Tanks can flank, charge, and do other things that tanks were designed to do. Having bases too close to each other or too much cover means that the game devolves into a very static, trench warfare type of game and is not very fun at all.

2) Objectives for tanks. Because it is so flat and open, controlling the outside of the base is essential. Infantry can/should only make it to the base by land or air insertion (we would have to fix redeployside to get this to work perfectly). This means transports, which in turn means targets for tanks to attack or defend. Right now tanks don't really have too many objectives and the outside of bases is generally worthless.

I mean infantry get to have fun almost everywhere. Just imagine Biolabs. Have you tried to attack a Biolab as a tank? It's essentially useless.

Tanks need areas that are essentially vehicle Biolabs. Infantry should get slaughtered around those areas and find themselves essentially useless in combat. And many of the bases in Indar are balanced like that so that tanks too get to have fun.

The next time you feel useless as you get shelled from long-range, just remember how tankers feel when the next base down the line is a Biolab. Same thing.
  12. MahouFairy

That's what I meant. But tanks should not have any problems pounding a random building in the middle of the desert. I'm saying that not all bases should be all urban like.
  13. Revel

Except it doesn't work that way. You get guys on cliffs 500m away spamming Ravens and AV turrets. No cover is just as bad for ground as it is for infantry.
  14. z1967

Tape a few spitfires to the tanks. Problem solved. Well, if they buff the spitfires :p
  15. ColonelChingles

Or get one of these:

[IMG]

Or these:

[IMG]

Turns out that autocannon with high angle-elevations can really do a number on infantry!

I never understood that about the Skyguard... 4x 40mm cannon should shred infantry to pieces. The old ZSU-23-4 was excellent in Afghanistan for precisely this purpose (especially since the Taliban air force was... non-existent).
  16. zaspacer

NO.

Indar is by FAR the favored Continent. Please don't mess with it in any way. Chances are it will just be made worse.

If you want to "improve" somewhere, I think you should start with the Continents that aren't as well liked as Indar: ALL the other Continents.

It's bad enough that they killed The Crown and Lock Indar so much. To actually go and change the Map drastically would be horrendous. Do you want to chase even more players away from the game?

I like playing in the Southeast Warpgate and in Northern Indar.

They could at least add more Lattice connections to avoid some of the more terrible "" bottlenecks. Add:
    1) East Canyone Checkpoint === Abandoned NS Offices

And for ones to just give more variety to stuff that is right next to each other:
    2) Snake Ravine Lookout === Xenotech Labs
    3) Zurvan Amp Station === Gravel Pass
    4) Crimson Bluff Tower === Rashnu Cavern
    5) Rashnu Cavern === NS Material Storage
    6) Helios Solar, Inc. === Saurva South Fortress

The Lattice system in general forces battle eperiences to be the same: same progression, same base vs. base, same direction of attacks, same bottlenecks, etc. Would be great if they could changeup the Lattice routes once in a while, or turn on an Objective (like a destructible/repairable Field Generator located away from Bases) that could be accessed to open up more Lattice routes.
  17. Revel

[IMG]

Behold the new NS buggy
  18. Revel

If you think the old Crown was good design I'll just disregard everything else.
  19. zaspacer

We talking Game Design?

I'm not surprised you didn't like the Old Crown... cause you're complaining about Indar. And if the game were to be designed for you, then getting rid of the Old Crown and designing Indar would *probably* be good design.

But if you're designing PS2 for the playerbase at launch (and the majority of players now), then yes, Old Crown and current Indar are both solid. They are both very popular, and compel players to play them. They are the kind of things that a Good Designer incorporates and expands upon in their design: making more popular content for the game.

I can appreciate you don't like them, but your specific preferences (and mine) don't dictate what is good design. Good design is dictated by what works most for compelling the playerbase as a whole.

Tonight Connery and Emerald both currently have Indar and Amerish LOCKED. I logged off PS2. That is bad game design. But very consistent for PS2.
  20. MahouFairy

The environment is supposed to exist "naturally", not rigged.

If you don't like fighting on flatlands, then go to Hossin or go to somewhere else in Indar. You have Redeploy for that.

This game isn't meant to favour only those who like cramped maps. It has to cater to everyone or risk losing half or more of their current playerbase.