Is this game controller supported?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tackelberry, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Tackelberry

I don't own this game yet because my computer sucks (upgrading soon). This game looks like a game I would want to play with a controller instead of keyboard. Is it controller compatible?
  2. Pat22

I know for a fact my brother pilots the Liberator using a controller, so yeah.
  3. TheRealTripWire

A controller, really? It's going to be great mopping the floor with your entrails.
  4. Beliskner

Not sure why you'd condemn yourself to death when you could use Keyboard+Mouse master race.
    • Up x 2
  5. Hibbe

Well I suppose it will be possible to use a controller until SOE start banning aimbotters.

I can agree that there are some games that are better with my 360 controller, but FPS is the furthest away from that you can get.
  6. Timezown

lmao noob
  7. Morpholine

Medic xp farm.
  8. MegaSmiley

On my system the game crashes on startup if my XBox controller is plugged in.
  9. TheRealTripWire

That would be the only case I'd hope for him to be in my faction on my server, otherwise goodness no. I like to play Medic.
  10. Tackelberry

I haven't played the game yet, when I do I'll make the decision for a controller or not. I just wanted to know if it was possible.
  11. Opapanax

I'm curious myself.. I don't know how people figure players are missing out that much with using controllers..

Coming up as a console baby I'm much more accustomed to using controllers in my FPS's Reaction time is much quicker, and it feels comfortable in my hands.. People talk about mouse aiming, but for a skilled person with a controller it really doesn't make that much of a differance for us..

This counts double for me since I'm on a laptop and the keyboard is not the best, the keys aren't raised like on a desktop so sometimes i fatfinger button presses... sucks..

It's not like an MMO where you need to have 40 different buttons mapped.. You need to point and shoot.. too easy..

With that said..

I'm wanting to try a controller with Playstation 2 setup.. Not an XBox guy..

Will my PS2 controller be detectable by my laptop? or is the PS2 controller locked specifcally for the Playstation... hmmmm
    • Up x 1
  12. Tackelberry

Not sure, I know xbox can work though. I'm more of an xbox guy just for Halo, and the controller feels better in my hands. PS2 is awesome though. I know playstation controllers can work on macs, but idk about PCs
    • Up x 1
  13. Garfboy

I'm a mouse guy myself, but I have a link that will help you out.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

It can turn your PS3 controller into a PC controller, it can also make it emulate as an xbox360 controller, as many games want the controllers to show up as xbox360 - don't worry, you can still keymap it as a PS3 controller. Hope it helps, if the program is confusing (it can be on first install) send me a PM.
    • Up x 1
  14. Opapanax

Okay, I'll have to look into that.. I know my gameplay would just feel so much smoother with a controller in my hands..

Strafing, ADS'ing, swapping weapons comes alot easier when I have all that Playstaion muscle memory built up.. lls..
    • Up x 1
  15. Opapanax

Sweet +2 for this one..
  16. Tackelberry

17. TheRealTripWire

Sigh
    You're assuming us keyboard and mouse folks never played consoles, but we did, or at least I did at any rate. It has nothing to do with how you were brought up. Here's proof:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-killed-pc-xbox-cross-platform-play

It amazes me console players think they can outplay keyboard and mouse people.
  18. Opapanax

It's not about out playing. It's about being able to play comfortably with a controller setup. I personally am just better at playing certain games with a controller..

PC controls don't fit every game.. something like Madden football although on PC clearly plays better and controls better on a console setup. The debate on whether a person using console setup can "outplay" someone with PC setup is debatable depending on the type of game we would be talking about.

Really it all comes down to an individuals preference.
    • Up x 1
  19. Opapanax

Also technology and game design come in to factor of course. A game designed for PC control in mind with no definate support for console rigging would also lead one to believe that PC will always outplay console gamers..

That to me seems kind of like a hollow argument. With no real titles out there actually providing the chance while giving significant support for both console and pc type setups. Although there might of been thoughts on attempting this. No title yet has really gone full force in this direction

The evolution of gaming will eventually blend the two even more and naturally we will come to a point where we are no longer gaming on anything that can be considered a PC or a Console entirely..
  20. Acuta

Seeing this has degenerated into a Keyboard/mouse Vs controller debate....

Pointing out that controllers have lower DPI as a rule, keybinding options are limited, and simply put: a mouse is much more "twitch".

Add in a gamepad (G13 or that other one), and you have controls that are stupidly fast and intuitive. Game controllers just aren't. I stink enough at fast-paced FPS as I get older, I don't need (want) to **** myself further!

All that said, if you just have more fun with a console controller and don't mind being dead a ton, HAVE AT IT!

Edit: LOL, g.i.m.p is now a 4 letter word? Good thing I'm not discussing open-source graphics arts software?
    • Up x 2