Is There Any Real Use for the Range Finder??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ThePropain, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ThePropain

So I just recently crafted this.... but seriously, an implant that only tells you range to a target is a TIER 3 implant?
    Am I missing something here? Or should I just use this useless thing to make an Ultra Charger?
  2. Thardus

Well, I suppose it would be useful for a scout in organized platoons. Kinda. No reason you can't just eyeball distances though, you don't have to be that accurate.
  3. Crayv

Doesn't make sense to me at all that it is a tier 3... why? What short of benefit do you really get out of it? It can be kinda nice for a few weapons but even at tier 2 I would question whether it deserves that rank.

Not to mention you can do a poor mans "range find" by using your marker.
  4. WTSherman

Really I don't see why this is an implant at all, it should just be a standard feature of certain weapons that it'd be useful for like sniper rifles and tank primaries...
    • Up x 5
  5. Rantanplan

Well the RangeFinder would only make sense , if there would be scopes for weapons and vehicle weapons that have a range scale . But so it's just another ultracharger , imo .
    • Up x 1
  6. FieldMarshall

Its one of the best implants... If you want to get rid of your energy fast.
    • Up x 1
  7. andy_m

On the subject of "ultra chargers..." I need to be reminded how to do that...

As for rangefinder... I mainly play sniper and I've not bothered using it yet. I generally get by using the old method of judging the distance, and therefore the bullet drop, by the size of the target in the scope. Or, if I think I need to I put a waymarker down.
  8. Jeslis

Its complete crap.

Realistically they needed to make rangefinder a 3 tier implant

Tier 1 - Current version
    Tier 2 - [Includes T1] Also gives range finder to Last spotted, or last hit enemy
    Tier 3 - [Includes T2] Gives Indicator on how far above a target to aim for the bullet to hit center mass. (including vehicles in vehicle vs. vehicle warfare) [Note; does not account for motion of You or your Target]
    • Up x 1
  9. Beltway

Its obviously for long range sniping whether it be with rifle or vehicle.

• Check Range
    • Use appropriate mil-dot / chevron
    • Enjoy your kill
    • Repeat
    Don't knock the thing just because you don't know how to properly use it. Nothing needs to be added on to it nor does it need to be changed. It's an excellent tool because it takes the guess work out of long ranged fire fights.
    • Up x 1
  10. JackD

Dont see the need for it. You put down a marker to see were the 300m line is and the guess work in long range fights gets replaced by exprerience after a few hours of sniping.
    • Up x 1
  11. Stigma

Currently it's fairly useless. I guess the idea was to have a tool for more accurate sniping - but considering that you'd have to be a fairly experienced sniper to even take advantage of this information I think that by that level of proficiency you can probably eyeball that faster and more efficiently anyway - and the fact that it's tier 3 is just absurd. It would have questionable utility even at tier 1 IMO.

-Stigma
  12. Harmaakettu

It is an useful implant for organized AV/AA squads. At least for the squad leader/fire leader to call out on targets and when you will be able to lock on to them. No more need for guesswork whether the target is withing range and worth locking on to.

Also helps calling out enemy sunderers if you can directly see one (Enemy sunderer X direction of waypoint/capture point/spawn room 350m) so it gives squad and platoon leaders accurate information.

That's the use my outfit has found for the implant. I do agree that it's a bit lackluster and in it's current form isn't worth of being a tier 3 implant. If it were to show more info like where to aim to hit a stationary target or reduce lock-on time then it might be worth the energy cost, although might prove to be a tad bit overpowered. Or display ranges above all spotted targets.

I think it really should be dropped a tier , maybe two, down or just merge it with Marker to make a T3 Marker II or with Enhanced Targeting to make Enhanced Targeting II. Or even crazier, make them all an Enhanced Targeting line. T1 would be exactly like now, T2 would be ET+RF and T3 would be ET+RF+Marker. That is because they all kinda improve your targeting and by themselves are severely lacking in my opinion.

Displaying health used to be a default thing. Auto spotting enemies I damage isn't worth taking over regenerating health, immunity to concs or even radar invisibility, even if it's only T2 implant because I spot people all the time before or while shooting especially when playing organized. And rangefinder is only useful at specific situations I described earlier and completely underwhelming when considering the energy cost.

Frankly the only implants I ever use are Clear Vision and Safe Landing III. I used to have rangefinder but now I just craft all extra T3 implants into ultra chargers and I have hundreds of normal chargers in stock completely unused.
    • Up x 3
  13. Kunavi

If it could only highlight the exact cross hair lines you have to use to land a shot at a target you have Q-Spotted depending on that target's distance from you...

But I think that'd be impossible to implement. I don't think it's within the Engine's limitations.
  14. RHINO_Mk.II

Or they could give us scopes with accurate mil-dots.
    • Up x 2
  15. veselie

Two days ago there was a galaxy high up at a base, and couldn't hit it with my Lancer. I said, let's equip the range finder implant to see how far it is, then I remebered it only works up to 500 meters.
    • Up x 1
  16. LIKE A BOSS!

Only useful for me on snipers but after 200 kills or so I can tell what milidot I need without the range finder.h
  17. Thurwell

Testing purposes and casual snipers who haven't learned to eyeball the bullet drop yet (IE me).
  18. Rodinvac

That'd be nice, but I would settle for red dot/holo sights that actually work like they should.
  19. MrJengles

Yeah that sounds like a good use.

I quite like that stacked Enhanced Targeting idea. It combines a couple very niche implants so that people are deciding on whether the extra power cost is worth a little benefit instead of sacrificing the generally more useful alternatives.

Suddenly we'd have another competitive implant and the effects would be used more often.
    • Up x 1