Is the Warden worth it for someone who mains Heavy/Engi?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by King Feraligatr, Apr 5, 2014.

1. King Feraligatr

I am considering buying the Warden (already have the certs for it). As someone who mains Heavy and secondaries Engi, I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy this rifle. I think it will give me a longer range option when playing which I find myself lacking (except when I roll infil, which is rare). Please note that I have consistent-ish 20s-30s FPS, get some lag, and that I'm the self proclaimed Worst Shot on Auraxis. Give me some input so that I don't regret spending anymore of my limited certs. Ask me if you want more info. Thanks.
  2. G.O.A.T

Personally I hate those guns and I consider myself a decent shot. I just don't like the semi automatic feel of it, I prefer automatic...They fire way too slow and I personally don't feel it's that huge of an improvement in long range.

Also at long range your probably gonna get sniped, so you are going to lose the Long range battle anyways, might as well try to avoid long range battles, and close the distance with an LMG etc.....Medium range, the LMG for HA is way better.
  3. MasonSTL

I use the warden quite a bit, but if you aren't a good shot I wouldn't suggest it. I use it when I am tanking, because in most cases when I am tanking I am not right up in the battle (as that is just asking for a nice pound of C4), so the warden is a good choice at that range.

EDIT: With my engi*. Wouldn't recommend it with the heavy.
    • Up x 1
  4. Crayv

I seen you asking about this in /yell tonight.

Personally I don't consider it worth it. It hits for 250 damage, that's 50 more than the SAW and means it takes 4 shots to kill instead of 5 but it isn't full auto.

For the Engie, well it is a bit better at range than the carbines due to having less damage falloff. Though I would still take the Razor.

Also looking at your sig, why does it seem like everyone has a TR on Mattherson, a NC on Connery, and a VS on Waterson? I have that exact same server/faction combo.
  5. King Feraligatr

Oh, the irony.
  6. Prudentia

As a rule of thumb:
    Semiautoweapons are crap. except for the Vandal.
    As NC you already have a Battlerifle on your Heavy (Gauss SAW, 200 damage full auto, 0 CoF standing)
    For the engy: Razor is a weapon with minimal recoil, high accuracy... and it looks good.
    For VS and TR it could be considered a choice, but NC have pretty awesome longrange weapons.
  7. eldarfalcongravtank

dont get the warden battlerifle! i have the VS eidolon, and even if it has no bulletdrop and i am quite a decent marksman (not bad, not great either), i would NOT recommend this weapon class to ANYONE unless he's a master 360 pro sniper player who needs a challenge. in my opinion, the battlerifles are the worst guns in the game and are not worth their costs due to their terrible damage at range (4-shot-kill against non-nanoweave targets up to 75m:confused:) and their horrible horizontal recoil which makes follow-up shots very difficult to pull off.

to be honest, if you're looking for a mid-longrange weapon for engineer and heavy assault, consider getting a full-/semiauto shotgun with slugs. at least they kill in three hits and dont have such a terrible horizontal recoil even if their projectiles move slowly and drop quickly. i can only repeat: don't get the battlerifles (until they've received some much needed buffs, that is)
  8. Cyrek

If you'll be constantly driving vehicles, dismounting often to pick off very close infantry, this rifle won't be for you, you need some sick automatic that can dispose of lone infantry closing by with C4. You'll be probably surrounded by snipers already taking care of the medium/long range for you otherwise.
  9. WyrdHarper

The BR's are really fun--check out Erendil's videos. They're not going to make you a long-range deathdealer overnight, but with some practice, these weapons really force you to get better at aiming, primarily because they're relatively unforgiving if you miss. They've been buffed a couple of times, and so they are better than they were a year ago. You can do very well with them (even at close range, as it's a two headshot hipfire kill at close range, especially if you use the ALS--foregrip has limited benefits because of the low horizontal recoil anyway) if you take your time between shots and focus on aiming instead of spamming shots. NC also have that really awesome 3.4x crosshair (although you'll want to switch scopes around for different situations).
  10. The Rogue Wolf

The Warden excels in two scenarios: When you can catch the enemy in the open, and when you can land consistent headshots at a range greater than 60m. Since the former happens fairly rarely, you need to capitalize on the latter.

Also, given the low ammunition reserve, running with it on an HA is ill-advised unless you've got a pocket Engineer to keep you topped off.
    • Up x 2
  11. lothbrook

Better off with the Gauss Saw if you want to long range on an NC heavy.
  12. Flashtirade

No not really. The SAW can do about the same if not better using a 4x scope and single shots, and the Razor is the longest-range carbine for the NC (but carbines don't and aren't meant to do very well at long range anyways).
  13. phreec

No it isn't. You're better off using any LMG or the likes of Mercenary and Razor for ranged battles. The Warden requires way too much aiming for its low damage output.
  14. Skooma Lord

If your an engineer it is good if you have steady aim. If you wait to fire again instead of just rapid clicking the aim will go back to normal. Only problem is that many longer range enemies will get away.

If your mainly an engineer like me the Warden is refreshing from all the carbines. If you like to stay back and counter-snipe its really good.

By the way, something that doesn't make sense to me is that the L.M.G.'s have the same(600) or more bullet velocity than the Battle rifles. Might be the damage? to balance it out.
    • Up x 1
  15. Paperlamp

This about sums it up.

Semi-autos have too much kick to make use of even their fairly low RoF at most ranges, get royally screwed by nanoweave targets and heavy shields, and don't have enough velocity to deal with strafing targets.

They are just flat out bad, with battle rifles being one of the worst.

Vandal is saved by having .75 ADS so you can duel better @ mid-ranges, and the not completely hopeless hip-fire along with extra rounds per mag makes it a bit more versatile. The semi-auto snipers w/4x scope also aren't terrible but often you're better off just going for a headshot kill with a BASR. Once the straight pull bolt comes out a BASR may even be better for body shotting.
  16. DashRendar

Warden is awesome. I haven't used it extensively, but it's one of the few weapons I'll actually use high velocity shells on, and post the buffs it actually does good damage. I've stuffed Orion users as a Flak Engi with the Warden and a HS/NV scope.
    • Up x 1
  17. THUGGERNAUT

don't waste your certs. in addition to the 250 for the gun, you need an additional 330 to make it serviceable. the NC6 is better anyway. on the engi, any carbine will outperform except in very limited scenarios where the battle rifle actually does well. avoid it.
  18. Wobulator

I run with a Warden at a 4x Trueshot and HVA, and I love it as an Engineer. I can kill at 250ish meters consistently with the high velocity, it settles much quicker than the SAW, so it is better at range, and it works decently in close quarters as well. Ignore all of the "Semiautos are horrible". They are harder to use, sure, but they are functional way outside of any automatic range. My only problem with it is the low ammo reserves, but you can either run ammo belt or just use it on an Engi. The warden will let you countersnipe most infiltrators, and has essentially no drop. It fits my playstyle beautifully, and I love it.
    • Up x 1
  19. Epic High Five

It's a cheap, fun gun. Sometimes guns just click with people and this could be one of them. Maybe I'm just biased here because I'm so used to the laughably horrible Warden that was the norm for so long, but the main problems with it were fixed and now they're fun

Mostly though, as an NC, you really have no need of it the Engineer can kiiiind of justify using it but even then, just get a Razor (for free if you chose it in the quiz!)

The part nobody is mentioning though is that the Warden SOUNDS like a badass dealer of death and pain. It sounds like a gun that's firing rounds so large that it can't go full auto (or whatever, nanites), just BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM whereas the Eidolon is like kitten farts and the AMR-66 I don't know what it sounds like but it's probably pretty close to "butts farting" as well :cool:

As a member of the glorious and correct in all matters NC, you really can't chose a bad gun, so go hog wild!
  20. SenEvason

I recommend it for engis that have good aim, or want to get good aim. It works beautifully out to longer ranges with the damage, and in CQC, it's a two headshot kill. It's one of the few weapons that makes me feel it is my fault if I win or lose an engagement. You might need to train the way you compensate for its recoil though, as it seems to have less recoil than you would expect. I tend to overcompensate for the recoil at times.