Is the new SMG better than the old one?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Exostrike, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Yil

Here's an official statement:

[IMG]
  2. SmellyCakes

No need to apologize! Mag is easier to use and has shorter keystrokes ;)
  3. Uzii

I have to say, I'm really bad for using clip instead of mag/magazine. I know the difference, but sometimes clip sounds better. Although shouting "I need a magazine!" on comms does sound better in the hectic moments.
  4. Badname3073

In the context of the game, it does not matter. You do not have to load magazines using clips, there are no magazines and no clips. It is obvious that both "clip size" and "magazine size" refer to the maximum number of bullets the weapon can shoot before "reloading" (that is, pressing a different key before pressing M1 again). So nobody cares :D
  5. SmellyCakes

But there are magazines in this game, it is a shooting game! You don't shove magic bullet sticks into the gun. A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm <wiki.
  6. SmellyCakes

My grandmother even calls her Glock magazines a clip. And while it makes me cringe, I just don't have the heart to tell her otherwise. :)
    • Up x 1
  7. Ghosty11

Unless you are Vanu! ;P

I blame the liberal news media, as they have no idea what the difference between a magazine and clip is, and continue to use "clip" in every gun related news story, mostly likely because it sound cooler. >.<
  8. ShayeUK

TTK sucks < 10m compared to other TR guns, beyond 10m its useless, if the enemy is firing back beyond useless, only useful for infiltrator in CQC because it has nothing else. Waste of SC/Certs imo
  9. Aghar30

first smg has a much shorter ttk than the new ones, but the first smg really punishes you for missing while the new ones are more spray and pray.
  10. Predatorv2

In which universe is 0.48 TTK "much" shorter than 0.497 TTK ???

For 0.019 less TTK (less than 2 hundreds of a second) you get a double mag size, less vertical recoil and higher projectile speed. Ah yes, the "first smg" reloads a bit faster. -.-

Probably all the people telling, the "first smg" has way better damage, only got their experiences from ingame depot charts...
  11. Dagonlives

It's better for VS and NC for it's designed role. The TR armstice has a better TTK by about 0.1 seconds and higher bullet velocity then the new weapon, but you are shoehorned into getting the extended clip. The new sub machinegun has 60 bullets per magazine and you can get an advanced laser sight. Take what you will from that.
  12. TheBlueMagician

It has lower damage? At least on the stat screen, it shows that it has the same damage.

As for 100 rounds per minute slower, that's if you're firing CONSTANTLY, which you WON'T BE. In short, CQC engagements the lower firing rate is barely noticeable, especially given you want to be trying to ambush with the weapon.

As for the comment about "lol needing better hipfire accuracy": it isn't about whether I need it or not, it's about the fact I get double the ammo pool of the previous stock gun (1/5x with Ext. Mag) for next to no trade off, and still get to put on an attachment that plays to the SMG strengths without sacrificing something.

As an additional note, I would like to reiterate I'm not super mad about this. I love my Armistice, and think it's a great weapon. My only problem is that this new SMG (at least for the TR) seems to have no downside compared to its successor, and thus feels like a strictly better weapon.
  13. NuclearM

All SMGs have 127 damage save the first wave NC one (167ish) and VS (143ish)

As for a downside to the new TR SMG. It has the same damage as the old one, slower projectile velocity and fires at 800 rounds per minute compared to the Armistices 896 rpm.

I lay it out all here

Also for the lazy here is the weapon data sheet
  14. Rolfski

I really don't understand why people feel "cheated" about this. Performance discussions aside, when you buy a gun with Station Cash, you know there's always a chance on buffs/nerfs or a new gun that might come out later. In this case, the second SMG's where announced in advance. If you didn't have the patience to wait for them, you basically skrewed yourself.

If you hate regretting SC investments, you probably should wait for triple SC and then buy them when they're on daily sales/weekly bundles. Meaning for every 700 SC gun, you basically pay around 115 SC.

As for the performance of the SMG's, it really depends on your play-style. Most average players have the nasty habit of reloading after every engagement. If you're one of them, you're probably better off sticking to the first generation SMG's.
  15. TheRaptorFence

Not a fan of the new TR SMG. I've tried both and I can't enjoy the new SMG due to its slower RoF. Maybe that sounds dumb, but I loved how the Armistice could rake through a guy before he could turn around. Playing infiltrator I could uncloak facing a guy at 8m and win the engagement almost every time, and could hose a group, take one down, and cloak before they knew what hit them.

The new Hailstorm has only 100 less on the RoF, but I swear that, coupled with the less accurate fire, takes me down every time. Can't even get clean kills from behind any more; they just turn around, bunny hop a few times, and take me out.

I guess I thought of the Armistice as a hit-and-run gun for LA and Inf. It fits that niche of LA and Inf not being able to sustain well in large firefights. Instead of frontal assaults the Armistice it's great for pecking at the outer ring of zergs before rocketing or cloaking away giggling. It's not meant to have lots of ammo because it's not made to take on 3-4 guys all at once.

Maybe someone else will like the Hailstorm, but it's not fitting the playstyles of Inf and LA well.
  16. Silkensmooth

They have to make money somehow, although it would be nice if they gave a loyalty discount to people with memberships. It's only 7 dollars to buy a gun, thats the price of a submarine sandwich.