Is the nano cloak any good ?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Rhello, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Rhello

Because I'm a really agressive infiltrator and often get shot to pieces while I'm cloaked, I wondered if the nano-armor cloak is any useful, and particularly if it stacks with nanoweave armor. As since the last video I saw on nano-armor was quite old, I wondered if anything changed in the meantime. Thank you in advance.
  2. DarkStarII

Well I'm not the most informed but I'll share my experiences with it as I have it on a couple of my loadouts.
    Firstly, it does not stack with nanoweave :( but unlike nanoweave it does protect from head shots :)
    When I swap to hunter it really messes with me as I rely on the resistance to help disengage, because with my horrible latency I will die when I get behind cover which is rather annoying, the 35% resistance you get at max rank has saved me countless times. Plus you will no longer get executed by people with Commisioners, Blackhands, or the QCX :)
    It's also extremely useful for sniping.
  3. Iridar51

I briefly tried NAC, couldn't make it work. In ideal conditions you don't want to get shot / seen at all, and for that you need maximum stealth duration and quickest recharge.

NAC will only provide a benefit over Hunter when you're stealthed and under fire, Hunter will provide a benefit over NAC at all other times (99% of time you're not dead?).

Then again, out of all 3 cloaks I prefer stalker, so I'm very sensitive to duration changes.

I feel like NAC is a cloak for people who are willing to put up with the downside just to get that occasional clutch benefit.

Sort of like why some people run flak armor for infantry combat. Useless most of the time, but noticeable clutch at certain times.
  4. Dualice

I tried to like it/make it work, but the reduced duration and slower charge time are definitely noticeable, agreed.

It no longer stacks with Nanoweave Armour.
  5. Rhello

Thanks a lot for the imput, I guess I'll have to make some tests before investing in it !
  6. Pelainis117

Well I use hunter and nano cloak all the time. Hunter for mid-long range. Nano for close range. No matter what kind of gun you use sniper or smg's/scouts. Nano cloak with shield capacitor Works perfect once you learn how to quick move with it becouse sometimes it seems like it has 2 low time duration. But as I said once you learn how to use it properly you gonna have really big fun with it. Hunter cloak best for mid/long range becouse sometimes you need to move longer distance cloaked and yes hunter cloak have more time duration compare to nano cloak. For hunter cloak use nanoweave armor. For nano cloak use shield capacitor.
  7. Beerdicus

I use nano cloak when I am using SMG's. I find that having the cloak not show as much when I am shot is very useful for flanking opponents. Due to the short duration of the cloak, I find myself decloaking, unload into a target and then recloak and reload while relocating to reengage my target/attack a new target. When I am not using an SMG, I find that the other 2 variants are more useful.
  8. Jawarisin

Used to be good when it stacked with nanoweave. Now it's useless.
  9. Kaeyz

I disagree on this part, since they changed it to the point where NAC doesn't shimmer when being shot at, it has it's uses. Certainly it's niche use, although if you look at less time in cloak from broader perspective it can be beneficial-ish.

Basically less cloak time can go quite in sync with aggressive playstyle, since it forces you to keep being aggressive - you don't have time to hesitate, also enables more daring flanks through hail of bullets which aren't even aimed at you yet, but would expose you if you would be using either Hunter or Stalker, due to shimmer.

Also 35% damage resistance at max tier of NAC will allow you to survive such daring flanks, given you have good enough timing.

Clutch benefit, maybe when you're playing TR. Have you ever tried flanking as NC infil? I'm telling you, that friendly fire can expose you with Hunter cloaking more often than enemy fire...

However putting jokes aside, yeah it's kinda clutch benefit unless you're frequently landing in situations where either there is so much fire that one stray bullet will expose you. Or when you expect enemy to react fast enough to threat, despite you doing everything to avoid detection, makes it easier to reset engagements.
    • Up x 1
  10. DarkStarII

NAC actually does shimmer, the 'suppression' to the shimmer just decreases the duration of the shimmer.
  11. Moz

NAC is uber in 2 situations.

Long range snipers. NAC will save you from a Sniper Head shot (actually saves you from the low damage bolt action from 10m in). If you use the typical:

cloak > acquire target > decloak > fire > cloak > move

It can save you from that odd cheeky sniper that gets that fast shot on you. Also, when sniping the reduced up time / recharge seems a lot less noticeable to me...?

The other way i like to use the NAC is in a standard squad play situation. We all know the SLs that don't like their Infils to roam to much and stay around the squad. The NAC makes a great cloak for these suqads.

When you are playing like this the need for your cloak is greatly reduced. Take a weapon that allows you a little more distance, Tempest, NS7 or maybe a Scout Rifle and play like an assault class using your NAC as the "oh crap" button. Not only at this point do you take less damage (including head shots) but you cloak "shimmers" a lot less when you are hit. All in all this makes an escape to the medics (or to pop that stim you junkie) a lot easier.

You also have a workable cloak should your SL give the inevitable "hack us a sundy mate" command.

Since testing this in organised ops, only time i really use Hunter is lone wolfing and really aggressive builds.

My NAC loadout:

NAC - Used primarily as an escape / panic button.

Grenade Bando - Because you know.... EMP and stuff...

Motion Spotter - You will be playing close to the squad so the Dildar gives great intel of a small area. Place them regular as your squad moves. You can carry up to 5 and the can be refilled from an ammo pack!!

EMP Grenades - ALLL ZE EMP!!

Bouncing Betty (you can take stim's if you don't trust your medics) - Great for those point defense's.... and some cheesy kills.

EMP Shield Implant 3 (because this god damn game wont give me 4) - There is just so much EMP about at the moment, plus it can help if you make a bobo nade!

Tempest - You want a weapon that can reach out a little, NS7 and scout rifles can also be good options.

Rebel with flashlight - I personally always like to pack a flashlight when playing close to a squad like this and the rebel gives good stopping power for follow ups and is accurate enough for an all out stalker kill. TBH you can take whatever side arm you like / feel most comfortable with.
  12. Jawarisin

color coded for ease of reading:

Still useless, a decent player will see the movement/hitmarkers and keep shooting till you drop.

Being forced into anything isn't a good thing, that's twisted logic; and simple awareness of what's going on will make you avoid taking bullets that weren't meant for you most of the time.

Have nanoweave armor, a permanent 20% including when stealthed...
  13. Frightning89

The Nano Armor Cloak is meant for use by CQC Infiltrators, every feature of it is geared toward that style of play, the reduced shimmer, the damage resistance while cloaked. The downside is that it's duration is short and the recharge is pretty long (so up-time is quite a bit lower than Hunter Cloak). I have spent a great deal of time using rank 1 Nano Armor Cloak with my AF-18 Stalker and AF-4 Cyclone (about 600 kills apiece on those guns now), the 6.5 sec duration definitely took some major getting used to, fortunately, the upgrades for it REALLY improve it. They both lower the recharge time AND increase its duration (both of those improve % uptime), I'm actually in the process of certing it out atm (just need about 70 more certs for the last rank), I imagine it's going to feel a lot better than it was, and I was already getting results out of it once I learned how to use it (the when and why for cloaking are totally different for CQC than for other playstyles).
  14. PanzerGoddess

"NAC will only provide a benefit over Hunter when you're stealthed and under fire, Hunter will provide a benefit over NAC at all other times (99% of time you're not dead?)." <--unless every heavy or player you run into is a newb with no aim....not sure the 1 second or .5 second of living would qualify a good use using NAC over Stalker/Hunter....iridar ftw again with a most valid point.

NAC is uber in 2 situations. ***NAC uber?? big word....cloaking in general is not uber period, its a safety net/creep n crawl, that's it. ** I have yet to see any type of cloak be uber lol....not sure how you determined this

Long range snipers. NAC will save you from a Sniper Head shot (actually saves you from the low damage bolt action from 10m in). If you use the typical: ***rofl who uses NAC when long range sniping BWAHAHAHAHA.....sounds like a lazy sniper who cant handle the cqc

cloak > acquire target > decloak > fire > cloak > move ***confused again Moz....is there a cloak that doesn't have these features??

It can save you from that odd cheeky sniper that gets that fast shot on you. Also, when sniping the reduced up time / recharge seems a lot less noticeable to me...? ***recharge should be faster on NAC as the stalker has a longer cloak time, meaning more time to recharge, same as hunter. Upside to NAC is a quick recharge, downside is when the situation is heating and you need to find cover, the cloak time is short, those situations doesn't matter which cloak you have, if your spotted you typically go down quick regardless.

The other way i like to use the NAC is in a standard squad play situation. We all know the SLs that don't like their Infils to roam to much and stay around the squad. The NAC makes a great cloak for these suqads. ***opinions very, I prefer my infiltrations to harass the enemy in a base rather than try to hold a point.....that's what heavies/medics are for, unless its a hot drop, a lot of infiltrators cause more harm than good when staying on a point etc.

When you are playing like this the need for your cloak is greatly reduced. Take a weapon that allows you a little more distance, Tempest, NS7 or maybe a Scout Rifle and play like an assault class using your NAC as the "oh crap" button. Not only at this point do you take less damage (including head shots) but you cloak "shimmers" a lot less when you are hit. All in all this makes an escape to the medics (or to pop that stim you junkie) a lot easier. ***This would work better between all the cloaks when it comes to litigation, just prefer to use the stalker 99% of the time, the use and value far out weighs NAC in my opinion.

You also have a workable cloak should your SL give the inevitable "hack us a sundy mate" command. ***....any cloak works in this situation, if you are hacking a terminal and get shot at, you failed your mission regardless.....u have to be uncloaked to hack a term, not sure how using NAC would benefit....you hack, get shot at, cloak and run away??? lol....this is uber how?

Since testing this in organised ops, only time i really use Hunter is lone wolfing and really aggressive builds.

My NAC loadout:

NAC - Used primarily as an escape / panic button. ***perhaps you should learn to have less panic attacks :p

Grenade Bando - Because you know.... EMP and stuff...

Motion Spotter - You will be playing close to the squad so the Dildar gives great intel of a small area. Place them regular as your squad moves. You can carry up to 5 and the can be refilled from an ammo pack!! ***darts have a lot more use when on the move.....your dildar gives you local area coverage lol....not sure the benefit of a moving squad.....if you were in my squad dropping dildars while we were moving id punch u in the ballz.....works both ways, unless there are no enemys and your just zerging, who cares. But if your squad has any valid target to head to or hit....you better not be dropping md while moving....works both ways, something I usually enjoy seeing when enemy squads are moving around....fastest way to give locations for you and everywhere else x_X

EMP Grenades - ALLL ZE EMP!!

Bouncing Betty (you can take stim's if you don't trust your medics) - Great for those point defense's.... and some cheesy kills. ****everyone loves cheesy kills lol....weve all been cheesed for sure

EMP Shield Implant 3 (because this god damn game wont give me 4) - There is just so much EMP about at the moment, plus it can help if you make a bobo nade! ***shaky implant ftw! I run cqc with a tsar42 so my worst enemy is splosions....last thing I need is my bloody screen shaking all the time...Im decent no-scoping but when I want to use my scope....nothing worse than my monitor bouncing all over hell. Plus booboo EMPS are always fun, enemy heavy having orgy in same room as you, np, emp the whole room, hope for a win lol.

Tempest - You want a weapon that can reach out a little, NS7 and scout rifles can also be good options.

Rebel with flashlight - I personally always like to pack a flashlight when playing close to a squad like this and the rebel gives good stopping power for follow ups and is accurate enough for an all out stalker kill. TBH you can take whatever side arm you like / feel most comfortable with. ***Flashlights can be fun, I love people using them....at least you always know what direction they are facing and where they are coming from lol
  15. PanzerGoddess

**to frightening89

your right was supposed to be more for cqc until they nixed na with it. No offense but if your cqc you have to uncloak to fire....unless your kill your opponent....not sure how cloaking back up will save you if he is shooting back let alone if they are a good shot....
  16. CuteBeaver

NAC is weird ;) it has its uses but mainly in situations where you cannot leave a building or point room.

Social situations as well... perhaps your outfit leader / squad or platoon leader needs to learn to loosen your leash? Basically thats how it worked for me in 3GIS eventually they realized I could do better for them as a stalker above the capture point building or ruining enemy max crashes by EMPing mining their support and killing off the engineers ect. Not to mention EMP + Bando ensures enemy spawn beacons cannot be littered outside the building. However when using stalker I had a plan on how to get back to them if I died.

However sometimes a request to stay indoors is perfectly reasonable. Maybe you have no solid spawns? Beacons keep getting destroyed and its too dangerous to keep placing them? Point hold near the enemy spawn room for example. While such situations are rare they do exist and its better for you to be with the group providing motion and watching for breaches.

For situations like that : NAC and FLAK and EMP shield implant are a great combination when dealing with that much nade spam..
    Other times if I know the building I might run NAC and Bando for 4 EMPs. Depends on what we expected from the hold. I wouldn't call NAC useless because in point hold engagements where you are grossly underpop it really shines.
  17. PanzerGoddess

i love your posts cute.....but seriously every time I see your name I want to say the most inappropriate things rofl. Too bad you weren't on Connery, youd be more than welcome to run around in my boat :D
  18. Casey B

NAC has one very niche usage, and that is for Sniper Dueling.

This is because the 35% resistance applies to head shots too. If you are properly using cover while dueling, if you ever do get shot in the head it will probably be right after you take a shot and cloak. With NAC, you can actually survive a head shot from a bolt action. Just barely.
    • Up x 1
  19. Moz

This is a way of playing I use when running a squad situation.

Seems your struggling with comprehension of my post... I will look at how i structure them in future to make it easier.

I'm saying these are ways to use NAC that i have tested and found very effective. Weather you can totally change your infil play style to fit this I have no idea.

The problem with 90% of people and NAC is they try and play their standard Infil play style with it... THAT WILL NOT WORK! The NAC changes the way Infil is played DRASTICALLY!! Most people don't get it at all!

Funny thing is... one person in this thread understood and wrote the same.... Beaver. And your reply to that was:

We both said the same thing in different words.....

TLDR of BOTH posts: NAC is most useful in a squad play situation where (and this bit is very important and the bit you missed from my post) YOUR SQUAD LEADER ASKS YOU TO STAY CLOSE TO THE SQUAD!
    • Up x 1
  20. Biddion

Your comment has me using shield capacitor again, giving up four grenades.