Is the Mattock actually better at range?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Plague Rat, Jan 4, 2013.

1. StormFrog

Well, if anyone has slugs on the Mattock all they need to do is get a friend and shoot them once with it.

Make sure the friend takes off nanoweave armor and is not spawned as an infiltrator.

If one shot to the chest (at less than 10m) removes their shields and does no health damage then the slugs do the same 500 damage as the scattercannon slugs. If they still have some shields left then Mattock slugs do less damage.
    • Up x 1
  2. Anonynonymous

Yeah, somebody please give this a try and report back!
  3. Daswen

4. Anonynonymous

Awww, I guess from the looks of it, nobody has attempted the Mattock slug test in game yet?
  5. Daswen

Well, i tried one Mattock without slugs, and i couldnt see any upgrade from Scattercanon at 25-30 meters. In fact, I noticed LESS damage from the Mattock at this distance.

I really dont understand. But i will not invest 700SC + 150 certs after this test.
  6. Anonynonymous

Well, we kinda already know that Mattock has lackluster damage output. All it has going for it is the higher projectile velocity than Scattercannon. Meaning you can lead less when shooting at a running target. What we're interested to know is that if the high velocity characteristic would translate to slugs. And if it does, does a slug fired out of a Mattock do the same 500 damage as a slug fired off any other scatter guns?
  7. Varennikov

I do the exact same thing.
  8. Anonynonymous

Awww, the fact this thread was bumped got me all excited that the Mattock slug damage has finally been tested....

Somebody please test it and let us know! You'll be my hero for this whole year!
  9. Intruder313

I'd presume the Slug is the same for all the guns, the Mattock's "advantage" range is due to a tighter CoF and higher projectile Velocity. It's a small advantage anyway according to the data so I'm still considering the Grinder for my LH or just keeping the Scattercannon.

Not going Dual Hacksaw as that means I will spent 80% of my time reloading.
  10. Anonynonymous

Running slug with Grinder is probably a really bad idea. Consider it has the largest default CoF (even larger than that of Hacksaw) of all the scatter guns.
  11. Daswen

Ok, i bought a Right Mattock this morning, and put 150 cert into it.

This weapon slug certed deals 500 dmg, and it seems to me that it keeps the velocity.

So there it is, I will test this deeply this weekend, I have a Scatter on my Left Arm, so we'll see if it worth it.
  12. Purg

That's what I used to use. You may find the Mattock will net you more kills over a duration because of the velocity of the slug hitting before the Scatter may hit - but I find pairing the Scatters with slugs more accurate in the long run.
  13. Anonynonymous

All hail Daswen!

Weren't the CoF characteristics completely identical between Scattercannon and Mattock? And since the slug deals the same 500 damage no matter which scatter gun it's loaded in, wouldn't Mattock be the clear winner if it dose indeed keep it's high velocity even with slugs?
  14. Purg

Has equal slug damage ever been established? I don't think I've ever seen stats on slugs.

I'm not basing it on figures but feel so it's purely subjective. When I doubled my slugged Scatters and ditched the Mattock, it did feel like I had a little more accuracy. It could well come down to the different velocities skewing my perception. I made the assumption that due to the Mattock having less pellet damage that it would also have less slug damage which is why I bought a second Scatter instead of a second Mattock. It also had more damage without slugs if I decided to play only CQC and remove the slugs.
  15. Daswen

Scatter does 500 dmg :
    Source : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Amnj8jnZLDIOdEx6azNNdVozRmxLVkI2WnZmS2NqV1E&output=html

And I checked myself, Mattock does 500 too. It wipe the shield of an uncerted infantry at the first shot.
  16. Purg

I'd love more stats on slugs so I can make an informed decision on all weapons.

The problem with unlocking the Mattock is I'd want to stick extended ammo and slugs on it which will cost 650 certs. I have the certs I just don't want to spend them on something that may not provide a tangible benefit over Scatters.
  17. Santiak

I've been running dual Mattocks with extended clips and slugs since I had the certs for it, and they were the first things I bought, so in game terms: "forever".

I find that I'm still effective enough versus MAX units in close range, stand a far better chance at medium to "MAX-long range", and that it's not a complete waste of time to try and snipe at a distance.

For anyone familiar with PS1, it feels as using the 3rd zoom-mode, with the damage output and bloom of the 2nd. :)
  18. Anonynonymous

Most definitly a good idea. As while we've more or less varified that Mattock Slug does 500 damage just like everything else. We still don't know if Mattock Slug gets extra velocity like Mattock buckshot. If it doesn't, it's really not worth certing Mattock from scratch at all if you already have a fully certed Scattercannon.

I'd imagine that the velocity would be much more difficult to test out, however.
  19. Mattimer

What I do is record at 60FPS(over 60FPS ingame, no dropped frames), shoot a distant target, then count the frames/time between the muzzle flash and impact.
  20. Daswen

Well, very good idea.