Is lockdown worth it to save points for it?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Dragonblood, May 10, 2013.

1. Dragonblood

Is the Max ability lockdown worth it to save points for? It felt really underwhelming in a real fight on the testserver.
  2. Pikachu

One should make the wise choice of waiting 1 game update before buying stuff that was released in the last game update. I haven't bought any ravens yet. I have 2000 certs stored. :D I did buy fractures though. :L
  3. Dragonblood

yeah, but that doesn't save you from super-nerfs, either.
  4. MasterSith88

I am almost saved up for level 5 lockdown already. I think you have to decide if you play max enough to pour 2700 (I think its 2700 for levels 1-5 anyway) certs into it. If you are a heavy max player like I am it will defiantly be worth it, dual fractures, bursters + extended mags, mercys or onslaughts.... I can't wait.

Plus I have had just about enough of charge failing for no reason....
  5. ghnurbles

Definitely worth it if you play a good amount of MAX.
  6. Kallowe

It seems like it wouldn't be useful unless you find yourself sitting in one place a lot of the time anyway.
    Never underestimate the ability to move, or to turn around to make sure no one is sticking a rocket up your ***.
  7. Kallowe

8. felfox

That said though I'd like to add that it's 1 second to disengage and there's no need to simply camp a spot for hours. Use it in bursts, find a spot, use it, murder some people, then pack up and find a different spot. Sitting for a long time or when you've already over extended will get you killed for sure but it's still an absolutely massive offensive boost. Use it for what it's worth then move on. I know that sounds counter productive but even a second or two of lockdown can decimate an enemy or group that suddenly find themselves in a hallway with you or such.

It's a situational ability and expensive and you need a decently certed max to make use of it in the first place. Sometimes it'll be the best thing ever and other times you'll be destroyed every time due to bad luck or positioning so as long as you're prepared for that I'd say it's worth it.
  9. Kallowe

I disagree about it being a massive offensive boost simply because being unable to move completely negates the offensive ability. It sounds really silly simply walking up to any group of people and having time to lock down and then mowing them down. Especially considering how relatively easy it is killing maxes with the any of the basic class load outs. Maybe it would be possible to do some sort of Starcraft tank push type of tactic, but I really doubt it would work. My biggest problem is that lock down is not only an exact copy of our tanks ability, but it really doesn't expand the class abilities it just limits them to camping or being a semi mobile turret. Plus consider how easy it is to simply run around a MAX suit while he slowly turns in circles with lock down you can't even turn in a circle. People will just circle strafe you and either shoot rockets at you from behind or tape some c-4 to your big metal butt.

Have you ever wondered what base turrets do when we aren't watching? You too can now experience first hand what it's like in the fascinating life of an anti-air flak cannon in the comfort of your own home by purchasing lock down. You only have to put 1600 certs into to move it from "useless" to "situational."

Instead of using a locked down TR max you can simply use the engineer's MANA turret for the same effect.
  10. SEMoslaw

This skill is extremely situational and not very good I would stay with charge. It's more useful and you don't have to waste so many certs.
  11. exLupo

Dedicated users will have the experience to use them well, everyone else should stick with charge. +1 for the situational vote and I'm looking forward to those situations.
  12. Roarboar

Hmm lets see, should one save certs for the most OP ability in the game...hmmmmmmmmmmm....
  13. Dragonblood

No, it's not.

I just think that lockdown gives more firepower than neccessary to kill infantry, while making Max units much more vulnerable.
    In other words it's damage overkill (marginal utility lower than marginal cost)......camping Max units have already enough firepower, you don't need more damage at that role. And in every other non-camping role lockdown is useless.
  14. Naithe

For towers, or ai in general my current suggestion is no.

For fracture, maybe burster (haven't tried them on test only fracture). I'd say yes. both weapons have the range necesary to ensure deploying won't necesary be a deathtrap, and both weapons will gain considerably from it.

Ofcourse the above doesn't mean its useless for AI. but if you are planning to stick to cyclers or variants there off, charge will be the better choice in by far most situations.
  15. Rasui

This

It all depends if you have a brain or not.