.ini minimums to fully/properly see cloaked infil?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zerogeist, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Zerogeist

Hello,

I am looking for the following tested info please:

- .ini values that affect cloaked infiltrator visibility
    - .ini tested minimums to fully see cloaked infiltrators

I am hoping to end some frustration with my rig until I rebuild.

Thanks in advance for your time!
  2. Zazulio

Are you asking how to exploit graphical settings to nullify infiltrator cloaking?
  3. Archiadus

Wouldn't that be exploiting? :eek:
  4. Yuukikun

Seems like the guy is asking in the forums for a ban :eek:

protip : just delete your account it'll be faster ;)
  5. Tenebrae Aeterna

Turn your graphical settings to medium to ultra.
    • Up x 1
  6. Zerogeist

I am looking to end the 100% invisibility they have past 40 or so meters and also strengthen their outline in general to the best possible ( hopefully by tweaking what's needed depending on what affects this graphic/texture)
  7. Zerogeist

This is the only value that affects it? I will swap it to 5 and hope I can handle it

Is there anyway to test this sort of thing ?
  8. Zazulio

So, exploiting, basically? Infiltrators are supposed to be difficult to spot, especially outside of very close range.
  9. WolfA4

It's not an exploit, it's a limitation of the engine to properly render effects. Players with low settings are unfairly penalized for it by making an otherwise partial visible infiltrator completely invisible.
  10. Zazen

I don't think he's asking for an exploit. You can tell the devs deliberately designed cloak to be imperfect. The closest an infil gets to purely invisible is while crouched & motionless. If there were not supposed to be gradiants of cloak visibility to players they wouldn't have deliberately made them more visible in one movement state vs. another.

What I think he really means is, what is the fine line he can ride with regard to maximizing in-game performance without sacraficing the ability to make out the cloak shimmer while the infil is moving like you are supposed to be able to. Low graphic settings makes Infil's all but totally invisible in all movement states, which is like an anti-exploit. You're basically nerfing yourself on purpose if you use low settings.

The answer, as far as I know is, graphics/textures/lighting at medium or better to be able to see cloak shimmer as designed. Shadows/particles/effects/flora/render range/terrain settings all have zero affect on the appearance or lack thereof of cloaked players.
    • Up x 2
  11. Borusa

Stop with this exploiting bs.
    If your graphics settings is set to low, you basically can't see infiltrators cloaked at all. They're not hard to see, but literally invisible. Whereas on higher graphics settings you can see them blurred with an outline, even in the distance.
    • Up x 3
  12. Zerogeist

There is no exploitation to be had, I'm looking to maybe fix the graphical issues I have seeing cloak on lower end settings,

They are very feint to see compared to what they can look like on very high end settings, I am looking to tweak mine to keep performance up since I can't just "turn the dial up" on every setting.

I have issues related to these:
    - https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...-completely-invisible-on-low-settings.144581/
    - https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...nge-the-low-setting-infiltrator-cloak.149979/
    • Up x 1
  13. Zazulio

I was not aware of this. Apologies, then. I thought that the OP was asking how to change his game settings to make cloaked infiltrators visible.
    • Up x 1
  14. Zerogeist

This =)

Thank you I will try adjusting those three around
    • Up x 2
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

Initially, I thought you were asking for a way to exploit the actual game itself and render Infiltrators fully visible.

Right now, our cloaking mechanic is still bugged and has been since launch. They can't seem to adjust things in a way that makes the mechanic balanced throughout all graphical settings, it's always extremely overpowered on one setting and absurdly underpowered on the other.

For a while, only those who used low settings could see us and blatantly so while those with higher settings couldn't ever see us. Now, it's reversed...and I assume it'll be reversed again in due time. :p

Right now, medium to high graphics settings will leave an Infiltrator blatantly visible.

Indeed,

Overpowered on low settings, underpowered on medium to high. Hopefully they can get this fixed soon...it's very saddening for EVERYONE involved.
    • Up x 1
  16. FieldMarshall

Probably already been answered but:
    I think he is asking about what settings he need in order to play on as low graphics as possible, while still being able to see infil the same as people who play on high.
    Nothing exploiting about that. If it was then everyone who played on higher settings would be banned?..

I play on the lowest possible (ingame) settings and i see cloaked Infil's as barely visible black silhouettes.
    Not sure if thats good or bad compared to higher settings, but i would assume that since im playing without extra clutter that comes with higher settings, im actually better off.
  17. Meeka

Put your graphic settings on a minimum of medium... that's what it takes to see infiltrators. Outside of 60ish m, they're not going to register in your vision on any setting.
  18. Chipay

It's as easy as putting graphicsquality to medium and the rest on the minimum:

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=2
    TextureQuality=4
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=6000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=1
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=1
    ParticleLOD=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VerticalFOV=74
    AO=0
    Smoothing=0
    RenderDistanceScalar=1.000000

These things should be swapped with what you have in your useroptions.ini right now.
    • Up x 1
  19. Dark Pulse

The problem with infils is you want them to be hard to see, but not impossible to see, and you don't want them to be too easy to see on a lower graphics setting, as otherwise the 1337Pwnz0rMLGYOLOPros will just crank their settings down to make things easier to see. Reminds me of when I played UT2004 and kept foliage on, and got killed by some dude because, well, he had foliage off. (To the point I even had a mini-meme result from it.)

[IMG]

Ahem. Anyway.

There's also obviously the practical problem that it takes graphical horsepower to render the effect - graphical horsepower that the GPU may not have on lower settings.

I'd think the best possible solution would be for it to be as it currently is for medium, but make the graphical effect more motion-based for lower-spec systems. Perhaps somewhat akin to Spectres in Doom where it's subtly shifting the "image" behind them, or to Metal Gear Solid's famous Stealth Camo?

[IMG]

The trick is, as I said, balancing it so that one's not clearly superior to the other. Otherwise, the "pros" will just go to whatever lets them see people easiest. These are the same people who invented brightskins, people. Thank god PS2 doesn't have those.