[Guide] Infiltrator science: headshots & nanoweave

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Xiphos, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Xiphos

I decided to open a new thread since the old one contains some incorrect information and cannot be edited. So here is how things are to my knowledge:

1. Headshot damage multiplier is 2x for all weapons except for shotguns. This is confirmed by game files.
    2. Base hitpoints for all classes except Infiltrators is 1000 (500 shield, 500 health). Infiltrators have 900 hitpoints (400 shield, 500 health). I confirmed this for with the Rebel pistol which does exactly 250 damage per shot.
    3. Bolt-action rifles do maximum damage at distances <10m. Their damage declines linearly with distance from that point on, until they reach their minimum damage at ??m. Minimum damage ranges are assumed to be <150m for the bolt-actions and may vary between each weapon.
    4. Bolt-action minimum damage is high enough to always kill a target in one headshot, provided the target does not have Nanoweave Armor or the Heavy Assault's shield. Minimum bolt-action damage was >500 in all tests I've done.
    5. It is possible to survive a headshot with Nanoweave Armor when in bolt-action minimum range. I have seen this myself in controlled tests with the M77-B and Nanoweave Armor 5, as well as while playing.
    6. Nanoweave Armor 1 appears to be bugged and (sometime? never?) gives the correct amount of health. Other levels were not tested.
    7. There is some evidence that sniper rifles are zeroed in to a certain range. This means that the bullet will land exactly at the crosshair at a certain range. Halfway this range it will land above the crosshair. Past that range it will land below the crosshair.
    Now that said, there is some uncertainty in regards to the minimum range and damage values as well as point 5, 6 and 7. You should not take these as absolute truth. I've tried to be vague on purpose while still presenting useful information. I have run multiple tests to measure damage drop and range on different occasions and I've seen some very odd behavior that cannot simply be attributed to measuring damage in health bars instead of numbers. In one test with the SR-7, minimum damage was reached at only 75m with exactly 20 bars of health left with multiple shots showing the same result, yet in another test it was reached between 118m and 150m with 18.5 bars health left which was once again confirmed by multiple shots. I have not figured out why this is happening. In one test, point blank damage numbers on a target with Nanoweave 1 matched exactly what one would expect if the target had Nanoweave 5. Damage on the same target without Nanoweave were exactly as predicted.
  2. SharpLight

3. Xiphos