Infantry render distance still seems to be 300 meters after GU3.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JP_Russell, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JP_Russell

At least, it does on my end. I have only thoroughly tested this with friendlies, though. I've been seeing some people on the forums rejoice at being able to see enemies at great distances now (as a response to the "render distance tweaks" that the latest patch brought), but I just tested it on friendlies at the warpgate by going outside the bubble toward a spot that had a view of the spawn building. I found the spot where infantry would render, disappear, render, and disappear as I walked forward and backward repeatedly (used a 4x scope to witness it clearly), and put a waypoint on that spot on the map. I then went to the spawn area where I saw the infantry, and looked at the waypoint, and sure enough, the waypoint was 300 meters out.

There weren't a lot of people around or anything (this was Esamir), so it wasn't reduced by the dynamic rendering, either. I also tested this with all settings on low and all settings on high (logging out in between), just to be sure render distance wasn't affected by settings now. Also, I had to use the waypoint in this roundabout way because trying to put a waypoint on a spot within the warpgate bubble on the map just places it on top of the bubble, so that doesn't work for rangefinding.

I haven't tested this on enemy infantry yet, but I haven't noticed seeing them beyond the usual 300 meter maximum so far. So unless the tweaks specifically increased rendering for enemies only and I just haven't seen it yet, it may simply have been a placebo effect making people think they can see infantry at huge distances now.

Don't know if this was any use to anyone, but just thought I'd put out the results of my little test in case it might be, given the non-specificity of the patch notes with regards to render distance changes. You guys can test it out for yourselves to confirm or contest them, if you like.
  2. Tigga

I think you're going to have to test it on hostiles. Part of what they've done appears to be to lower the priority of rendering freindlies, and in busy fights I find I see hostiles well before I see friendlies.
    • Up x 1
  3. JP_Russell

Ah, I see. I'll keep messing around with it to see if I can notice a difference with enemies. If nothing else, I can at least confidently say that friendly infantry render distances appear to have been left alone, so it should give you an idea of how far away an enemy is if you see your teammates popping in and out at a particular area in front of them, as long as you're not in a huge battle.
  4. Iksniljiksul

Rendering has been adjusted on a threat base which friendlies are not considered. A threat is anyone who shoots. You still will not see every enemy that is holding fire until a certain range is reached, but you will see those that are firing their weapons. This is the change. It is the only change. The maximum range is about that of TI Alloy to the Crown cliff overlooking it.
  5. JP_Russell

Good to know. How long after they stop shooting do they seem to continue rendering, from what you can tell? Do they disappear almost immediately, or do they continue rendering for a good 10 seconds after, or what?