Indar balance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Dec 23, 2020.

1. RabidIBM

I have noticed that the western front between the northern and western warpgates seems to consistently favor the northern warpgate. I usually think of Lowland Trading Post as the midway point between these two gates, but by actual base count Indar Excavation Site is the middle base, being 7 bases away from each of the two warpgates.

The major facilities on either side of it are Hvar Tech Plant to the south, and Saurva Bio Lab to the north. I think we know which of these two major facilities is more commonly fought over. I played in an alert recently where from the western warp gate we did attack Saurva, and going in I couldn't remember the layout of the satellite bases, which is an issue when I'm the Sunderer driver thinking ahead as to where I'm going to park.

There are a couple reasons why this is, but I think the biggest one is lattice layout. If the northern warpgate is getting stuck, and wants to flank, they need to capture Indar Comm. Array, and they have access to Quartz Ridge Camp. Comparatively, if the western warpgate wants to flank, they have to clear more bases, including Dahaka Amp Station, which of all Amp Stations probably most strongly favors the defenders. This makes successfully flanking Indar Excavation Site extremely rare.

If there ever is a more thorough rebuild of Indar, I do hope they will consider this balance issue, as currently I think Saurva Bio Lab sees about as much action as Indar Bay Point (the western warpgate base), and it would be nice if bases like Camp Connery and Benson Construction could see a little action every once in a while.

On the topic of Lowland Trading Post, the devs have done well in the past in reacting to realities of the game. Some years ago, there was no official base there, and Quartz Ridge Camp and Indar Excavation Site were directly connected across the desert. There was just this no reason building in the middle of the desert. The building proved to be an oasis of cover for the tankers as they advanced to the next base, and I participated many battles where opposing suderers were deployed on either side of this building, with infantry fighting for control of it so they could drive the enemy tanks out. I bring this up because it proves that there are some people on the dev team paying attention to this part of the continent. I hope those same people are noticing where there are and aren't fights on the current version of Indar.
    • Up x 1