[Suggestion] Increase AA rocket speed, decrease flight range, treat missile like a slug.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Plague Rat, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Plague Rat

As it stands the rocket is far too slow to be effective to the point where the only aircraft that isn't able outrun the missile simply by flying in a straight line at max normal speed (no afterburner) is the reaver. Aircraft really shouldn't be able to outrun a missile at cruising speed. Past a point this slow speed leads to the missile feebly chasing the targeted aircraft for several long ineffectual seconds with no real hope of ever catching it regardless of pilot error. It's all useless flight time. So if the speed were increased slightly a large chunk of this flight time could be shaved off, leaving a weapon that can actually catch an aircraft at cruising speeds but still be outranged by a pilot using maneuvers or afterburners, or thrown off with flares.

More importantly however is the problem of premature explosion on the few missiles that actuall that render the weapon nearly pointless besides making pilots twitch at lock-on warnings.

The missiles have a tendency to explode on the outside of an aircraft and do no damage. I'm not certain if the flaw is with the missile itself and possibly latency, or with the hitbox of the aircraft, but this needs to be checked out and corrected for. If it's the missile and latency, then there's a momentary delay between missile connection and explosion where an aircraft can move out of the damage area. If this is the case, the explosive mechanic should be removed from the weapon. This weapon can no longer be dumb fired, effectively making splash damage irrelavent, so the damage should be loaded entirely the projectile's registered impact (treated as a flying slug) and the explosion should be graphical only.

It could also be a question of htiboxes. I've seen it occur with most aircraft but more often than not with liberators and mosquitos (aircraft with tails) I've seen it first hand on the liberator via external view while flying, shots that look to connect with the underside of my tail but don't do any harm to me (no impact registers). I haven't bought AA missiles for my TR server due to their current state, but I suspect there's a similar situation with the reaver (or maybe not since they're not as swift), but my missile impacts tend to have better luck connecting with the tail-less VS scythe. Though I'm less inclined to believe it's entirely a hitbox issue since the ESF AA missiles don't SEEM to have an issue, but then they're only occasionally fired from a low angle, so it's still a possibility.