Incentives based off hex

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Banick, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Banick

This most likely wouldn't be the case with outfits. But on my VS alt, I've noticed a few things. First off, defending against a zerg does not happen. There is no point, you're outnumbered. It's not the players fault, it's human nature, if something is too difficult and an easier path can be follow to achieve something (ie: exp/cert gain), that will be followed.

Thus you have the state of the game. Zerg rotation, the combined forces of a faction are within a single hex for strength in numbers. Given an equal opposing force would be a good start, but given the tools to work with for defense on what are supposedly the best bases, Bio Lab, Amp Station and Tech Plants. It is insufficient, it takes very little for an attacking force to flip the tide off battle, and then they become the defenders from a single attacking point (the spawn room).

I'm fully aware of the upcoming changes the developers have undertaken to the spawn room. But it is ridiculous to believe that enlarging the doors and windows to shoot out of, and a patio will stop camping. Why? Because of the single minded nature of it. Tunnels? Sure great, except that, it's a tunnel, once attackers get into that, it's another spawn room exit which will be camped.

Why is attacking so easy? Because you have a 360 degree possibility of attack, that means the attacker can come from anywhere. As a result, you need either a structure capable of providing defense to the defenders greater than the attackers can handle. A few drop pods into these structures or teleports into the bio lab, and the defenders are spawn camped.

Think about the Crown. Why is it so popular? Because it has two ways in and out. It is defend-able, so why not make the important Amp, Tech and Bio the same. Bio is almost there, just needs to get rid of the teleporters.

Why is it so easy to spawn camp? Because there is one spawn. So to analyse, the attackers get a 360 degree possibility of attack, and defenders have a single room in which is known, and camped.

Solution: Multiple spawn rooms. Complete walls around bases with alteration to armor shield to prevent infantry from getting inside (Amp, Tech) - this will also increase the use of the LA class to hop the walls and Galaxy drops. Increase in AT turret health. Increase in defensive fortifications to protect infantry on the walls. No teleporters (bio).

Next, there is no incentive to attempt to hold off against a zerg. 15% bonus to exp does not cut it when you will die multiple times defending a static position (generator, turret, area of entry). You will and do earn more attacking and receiving kill streak bonuses for camping another factions spawn room.

Solution: Increase the bonus to resource gain when defending an owned hex with enemy activity or higher. Increase the bonus to exp gain defense bonus when within an enemy active hex.

As it stands, I find no reason to defend, and if I can bare to attempt it. There are but a handful of people against a zerg because the exp is elsewhere.