In what direction is the game heading? (serious conversation)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Apr 12, 2021.

1. karlooo

Yeah, everyone had more fun in the past as well.
    But about that situation mentioned here, you're saying that the problem was in too many miniature bases and (you could say) Stalker Infiltrators ghost camping or anyone just flying by deciding to eject and ruin the battle progression.

Don't you think these lattice links, basically an arrow forcing everyone to move in a certain direction, to be the most disgusting and lazy attempt to solve this problem?

-Like, one person capturing a whole entire building or territory...Sounds pretty ridiculous. Why can't the capturing sytem be changed to not points with a range but the entire structure or part of it depending on size which requires at least as an example 6 players to occupy it or else the zone/building will become uncapped (for the attackers) and turn neutral.

-Stalker Infiltrators, they add nothing but cancer to the game.

-Lastly too many miniature bases. Why not try connecting some together to form a large base, therefore less connections, and a more spread out fight, which (the merging of bases) will lead to having larger spacing between bases. Giving room to some crazy strategies in terms of defending, and massive vehicle warfare.
    And ultimately no ghost caps.

Basically the hardest work would be designing the bases when merging them....But isn't this the fun part? The devs had years to improve the game and they added arrows...
  2. Thrix

The game should be heading more towards Casual fun, rather than all this focus on outfits, outfit wars, NSO, member-exclusive stuff.

IMO Planetside 2 was never meant to be nor should it ever be a high-caliber PVP e-sports type game.
    Literally trying to ballance 3 different factions with their own strengths and weaknesses is being done way too seriously. and instead of adding fun faction-specific things they're adding all this NS **** that everyone can use, simply because they want to avoid people complaining on the forums about how imba for example some VS PPA or TR Vulcan is.

They need to see past that ****. What needs to happen is more types of guns, more faction specific vehicles, more faction specific mechanics, more ways to play, less e-sports pandering, less member pandering, reduce the grind, pump the playerbase up with these additions and the game as a whole and Daybreak itself will be better off with it, i genuinely believe more players means more money. rather than trying to keep catering to the last few members it has. because all this Member only **** is scaring free players off hard.

i would say;
    1. Split infiltrator up into a sniper focused class, and actual infiltration focused class, let one of the two keep cloak, give the other a new mechanic / ways to play.
    2. Add a new faction specific light land vehicle for each side.
    3. Cortium should be a nation-wide resource that needs to be gathered at certain bases and used, make cortium runs /actually/ matter, protect harvesters or make attack runs on other harvesters, make cortium harvesters drop their loot so other factions have reasons to go after them, After a base gets a certain amount of cortium let it spawn a Collosus that anyone can pilot, not just one single outfit. or likewise let cortium spawn a Bastion that's AI controlled but you can still operate the cannons with... Or you could have cortium give players a discount on the nanite cost of certain supplies in that specific base, meaning that frontline bases need more cortium, making the harvesting runs more dangerous. Cortium right now is such an under-used niche mechanic.
    4. Make the liberator a good bomber again not some ****** long-range aerial sunderer sniper, it has been nerfed into the ******* floor. make it have loadouts that are good against mass infantry, give it some more defenses, 2 AP-tank shots can wreck it better and faster than any anti-air.
    5. Rework the latice system into an actual front-line that needs to be defended / pushed outwards at all points. rather than not having to worry about certain bases because the latices don't connect up.

In summary:
    Stop being afraid to change your game up!
  3. Snow Sheltie

I do not believe the lattice lines are the issue. The issue is the myriad of smaller bases that are a legacy of the old hex system which was tried and just didn't seem to work the way the devs wanted it to. I believe the idea of the old hex system was to encourage fighting along a broad front and create a large, almost continuous battle line from coast to coast. What really happened were armies dancing around each other, ghost capping bases and never committing to conflict until one side finally attacks an objective the other can't afford to lose.

There was a time where more players on an objective would create a faster cap (to a limit). Basically your lone stalker (which didn't exist back then) would take an eternity to solo-cap a base, plenty of time for a couple of guardsmen to deploy to the base with lights and flush him out. That system was removed in favor of a fixed time frame. I don't recall the reason for the change.

A lot of what you were describing with fewer, larger bases was the original Planetside. It was few bases, still connected to lattice lines, but large, open areas between them that resulted in field battles between traveling armies. The only continent where I saw any glimmer of this old combat was on Amerish with just a handful of lattice lines where there was a significant distance between bases and few options for maneuverability, therefore two marching armies would clash in an actual field battle.

What few field battles I experienced were a type of fun you don't get in more urban-style battles common in bases. Those fights did not occur naturally as part of the flow of the game because the game's inherent design does not encourage or direct players into that type of battle. That battle I describe in my previous post? I had to go out of my way to set up that fight. And towards the end of my career, that became my end goal. I wasn't interested in winning continents or alerts. I was interested in setting up my forces for a 'gud fight, cuz dats wot orkz woz made fer; fightin an winnin!'
  4. Cluelessclem

Looks like they are trying to introduce some type of mmorpg story line to the game. So far all they have managed to accomplish is giving us a really poorly designed continent to fight on. The lattice on Esamir sux and is especially bad for eastern gate. I wonder if devs from EQ\EQ2 were assigned to PS2 and think we need a quest system and a story. I would rather they fix bugs that have existed for years such as getting killed when you spawn into a squadmates galaxy. Stop adding things until you fix the game you have.
    • Up x 1