In defense of the HA's Instant-Win shield

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by M4L4CH1TE, Apr 9, 2014.

1. M4L4CH1TE

Even in my platoon of the T42 where you need to have at least 30 BRs of experience under you, I hear complaints about being killed by a HA because he could pop his over-shield and tank enough damage to kill my platoon buddy.

Wah.o_O

I don't play HA much. I spend most of my time playing engy or medic and occasionally MAX or Inf.

When I round the corner and there's a HA with an over-shield and I manage to kill him I expect that my aim was better, he was already damaged, or I shot for the head and he didn't. Straight up 1:1 he/she should kill me. Every time. And if they are skilled or lucky, or you are less so, they may be able to kill a whole bunch of us.

A heavy is designated as the meat-shield and damage-dealer. That is their soul purpose. They get the toys that make them better at it. They can't revive another soldier or MAX, drop ammo, quick-spawn a turret, or repair anything. They are suppose to be the most killingest and common soldier and the rest of us are "support."

Don't blame them for having superior weapons or armor - they are suppose to have it.
    Just like you shouldn't blame infiltrators for head-shotting you, or a field of engies from denying location access to your sunderer or tank.

If you keep dying to them the same way that is a reflection on you - not them. Uncomfortable news, huh?
    And if you are doing it right you will still die to them occasionally. Random luck. It's just nanites - suck it up.
    • Up x 27
  2. Paisty

Yeah I mentioned these points a month or two back. The FPS purists will never agree they simply ignore the MMO part of MMOFPS and the obvious roles of each class.

Good luck getting SOE to listen, separate rolls for each class is way too complex for the players they have been catering to for the last year or so. "Every class must be identical" is the new PS2 Mantra.
    • Up x 1
  3. Robes

I can use the same argument for why i think maxes, tanks and air should all be massively buffed to the point infantry can't fight back against them, do you think that should happen? (to help you along, replace everywhere you said HA in your post with "Max" "Tanks" "Air")
    • Up x 1
  4. Captain Kid

I switched from Heavy to Engineer and it's bloody annoying losing all these fights just because they have a shield.

I welcome the upcoming nerf to shield.

But then I never liked the fact this game has classes, Planetsdide 1 did it so much better.
    • Up x 2
  5. Paragon Exile

You really think the HA deserves to rewarded with victory for tapping "F" when he sees an enemy? Even if that enemy shot first and acted more decisively? Really?

The charge-up time makes it so that you actually have to think about when and where you deploy the shield (God forbid right?) and makes it impossible to use it as a crutch used by people with no situational awareness. Heavy assaults will still have the massive advantage of the shield, but the people who react instead of anticipating will be magically transformed into mangled corpses.

You cannot debate this fact, it cannot be denied because it's self-evidently true.
    • Up x 3
  6. dBMachine

Meh...

Get the drop on him first or just simply out-aim and get more head shots and you will win. I've never thought the shield was OP and I play engie 90% of the time.
    • Up x 6
  7. Akeita

T42 need to increase their requirement to be BR 40... Get to BR 30 is not even that hard and people is still noob - ish.

This post is perfect, with your argument, then my ESFs suppose to stomp the hell out of Lib while they can barely fight back
    Then my tanks should be able to rekt infantry and survive 2 C4 brick
    Then my MAXes should be immune to small arms fire, I mean look at these manly metals...

Superior weapon and armor ? Yes, but is it balanced ? No
    But to be honest, I felt like this nerf that hit HA is not really worth it, I have no problem fighting against HA anyway
    • Up x 3
  8. M4L4CH1TE

Yep.
    Just change it to MAX. They pay resources to be better tanks but they pay the price in not being able to heal themselves or rebuild their shields without help or (if they cert into it) extra out-of-battle time. I'm not sure they have the balance quite right but people whining because a tank can one-shot them is stupid - it's a TANK and you are meat in a crunchy coating. Personally I think both air and anti-air aught to be much deadlier but I'm OK with where it is.
  9. NoctD

Yes, absolutely. People need to learn to adapt and play all them things. You got resources to pull your own MAX, tanks, and air. Stop being a one dimensional one trick pony type of player. The best players in the game are the most adaptable ones, that have gotten comfortable putting on many different hats. The worse players in the game are the one dimensional ones, the ones who only know one class or method to play the game.

If you want to go head to head with a HA, you can use a HA too. Yet that simple thought is apparently far too much for the babies this game seems to cater towards to figure out, its like they're building it for a 5 year old. And yes, with the missions system, voice callouts, etc, they are most definitely dumbing down the game to totally childlike levels.
    • Up x 3
  10. Bruno Puntz Jones

After the "nerf" they're still going to have better weapons and more health than you . . . as long as the shield is up. If those heavies are as aces as you are, then they should have no problems killing a lower HP class with a weaker gun. Even if they can't manage to turn the shield on at all they still have equal or more HP and a bigger gun.

So what exactly is your complaint?
    • Up x 2
  11. Robes

Alright, so using the "if i want to be able to kill what the enemy has i have to bring the same or better" argument results in everybody being in whatever OP thing it is at the moment and nothing else is on the field completely remove any diversity in the game.

Lets say theres a patch where tanks get buffed to the point you have to have a tank to kill it (your argument), why would anybody be in anything other than a tank? Infantry can't kill it, Air can't kill it, Maxes cant kill it, are you suppose to just try your best to avoid it completely or die? That sounds like it would be a fun game.
  12. NoctD

Cause you can't take a base as a tank. Get it? I said to adapt, not stick to one thing.

But you're showing us exactly what the single minded in the game does, they don't know how to adapt at all. Stay in your tank, and you won't get anything else done.

The sad part is, I bet I could teach my 7 year old niece how to play the game, and she'd get it more than most of the people that play it now do!
    • Up x 2
  13. vanu123

I never really thought it was that OP tbh. I play almost every class equally (medic, engineer, heavy, and LA are my main 4) Rarely do I feel like they won because they have a shield.
    • Up x 1
  14. Robes

And due to me staying in my tank you won't get anything done either as you die the second your seen without getting a tank of your own, get it?
  15. NoctD

Nuh-uh, even if I can't kill you, I can take an LA, pull an ejection seat ESF and get to the cap point. See what happens, when you learn to think? Well the ejection seat is optional even, since I can bail assault.

But if I was to run out in the open in front of you, of course you'd kill me. But unlike the lemmings, some of us actually think before we act.
    • Up x 3
  16. OldMaster80

That's exactly the point: the shield is not going anywhere. They're just adding a ramp-up.
  17. Robes

So we'll ignore the fact that you tried ignoring, that the ESF would die when it was seen and you would never get to the cap point.

Well use the other point i already stated: "are you suppose to just try your best to avoid it completely or die? That sounds like it would be a fun game."

Youre getting there, but its a slow process for you it seems.
  18. NoctD

Who said I'd let you see me flying in? :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  19. Robes

• Up x 1
  20. Corvus Corax

The heavy's shielding doesn't make him invulnerable, which makes your point utterly pointless. It makes him more durable.
    • Up x 4