Improve Charged Shot on the Spiker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jac70, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Jac70

I've seen buff calls for both the AMP and the Mag-Scatter today so didn't want to feel left out. Just unlocked this weapon and feel some aspects could do with a bit more thought.

In truth I don't think the burst mode fits with the Vanu flavour and would rather it just fired normally or a charged shot. Still the burst mode seems to be the only mode that is currently worth using. I trialled in VR and noticed that the charged shot does a decent amount of damage but it does take a while to charge and if playing as Infiltrator you are vulnerable when you do so.

I like the concept and the design of the weapon so want to carry on with it. I would like to see the weapon be able to OHK with a headshot on an Infiltrator within 5m. A bit like a Commissioner only slower and more risk/reward - make it an assassination pistol. I would also like to see the AoE damage improved as when testing in VR the effect is almost non-existent.
  2. Pat22

The charged shot acts kind of like a crossbow, you can use it to plink at far targets like a mini-sniper, except you don't have to sacrifice your secondary weapon for it.
    As a light assault, this makes me quite happy.
  3. tf2hero

change it once the amp and magscatter get buffs
    • Up x 1
  4. TriumphantJelly

In VR splash doesn't work.

Otherwise, I am inclined to agree (or at least feel some sympathy).
  5. Jac70

Well I thought that splash maybe wasn't being applied correctly in VR but I thought it had been fixed. The charged shot does do some indirect damage but it barely takes any health off the dummies.
  6. breeje

was the spiker not buffed recently?
  7. Jac70

It was more of a rework than a buff but the original Spiker was absolutely useless. So the new concept needs some more work IMO. It is a useable sidearm now at least but the thing that makes it ES is severely lacking to the point that it is irrelevant.
    • Up x 2
  8. eldarfalcongravtank

for your information, the Spiker indeed did receive a buff in the most recent patch. its magazine size increased from 14 to 16 rounds. as an avid Spiker user, i would definitely say it's in a great spot right now, regardless of the useless charge-up mode. therefore, it doesn't need more buffs or changes

sorry but i have to vehemently disagree with this. the Spiker is the best empire-specific pistol the VS has, by far: it has almost as much damage-per-second output as the other burstfire sidearms but it's also much more accurate in comparison, allowing for proper midrange shooting against weakened targets. it may not compete with primaries (it shouldn't) but i can't count the times i took popshots at targets 30-50 meters away with the Spiker, hitting like 4-8 rounds of its burst and ended up killing that guy. naturally, it surprised me and made me laugh at the same time because i wasn't used to a VS sidearm being so powerful and useful

as a result, the Spiker is an insanely fun pistol to use and it's only gratification enough VS had to wait so long for a worthy burstfire sidearm. that said, if SOE ever touches the charge-up mode again, chances are they will also mess around with the burstfire mode, potentially making it weaker. i would NOT like that! the brustfire mode is this pistol's bread and butter whereas the charge-up is just a "nice to have". the burstfire mode is more effective and thus more important than the charge-up will ever be. i wouldn't even mind if they completely removed the secondary firemode from the Spiker, all that counts for me is the burstfire mode which must remain as it is, at all cost

tl;dr: keep the Spiker as it is. it's a great VS sidearm and very fun to use
  9. Jac70

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on the burst fire thing. For me that is a TR trait but yeah, after my very limited experience I agree that the weapon is good in burst fire mode. However it's supposed to be an ES weapon and its niche seems like a complete afterthought and like you say is not worth keeping. I don't think my suggested changes would make the weapon OP, it would just mean that it could be used effectively in both modes.

Do you ever use charged shots, if yes for what purpose? Also, how many levels of charge are there, is the weapon fully charged as soon as you hear that bass note start?
  10. Elrobochanco

I just wish you could put scopes on it now. It was a great ranged option before, but with a commissioner and 2x being an option it's a hard sell.