I'm New To The HA Class

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by RayDrazon, Jan 6, 2013.

1. RayDrazon

Basically, I just tried this class out today. Totally confused on what I should cert into. Post as much advice as you can.

Should I get another weapon? Which one? Why?
    Which ability should I cert into?
    Which suit slot should I cert into?
    Should I get another rocket launcher? Which one? Why?
    Should I get C4 or Medkits? (I know I already have the rocket launcher but the idea that I can instantly blow up a Sunderer is tempting)
    What attachments should I get for the said weapon?

I'm playing as VS.

Please post and comment below. Thanks.
  2. LineTrap

Should I get another weapon? Which one? Why?
    The Orion is an excellent weapon, but at 100 certs the LSW could be worth it for 50% more ammo. I recommend forward grips for all LMGs.

Which ability should I cert into?
    The default shield. You can use it at the start or halfway through a fight and still get the full benefit. With Resist Shield it needs to be activated beforehand or it loses effectiveness. Thing about Resist Shield is it regenerates much faster.

Which suit slot should I cert into?
    Flak. Too much explosive spam in this game not to have it at rank 4-5.

Should I get another rocket launcher? Which one? Why?
    I don't think fighting Prowlers or Vanguards necessitates lock-on launchers. Generally, though, Decimator is best for tight quarters (Biolab/Amp Station) and Annihilator is the best currently in open spaces. Keep in mind that whatever a Deci can do, a default launcher can do almost as well. If not playing dedicated HA, I wouldn't buy an extra launcher at all.

Should I get C4 or Medkits?
    Both. Use C4 in situations where you have plenty of Medic support (i.e. in an outfit or during siege/siege defense), see an opportunity to solo stationary vehicles (especially Sundies, as you mentioned), or for extra special punch vs Maxes. Use Resto kits when fighting without Medic support.
  3. Takoita

AV grenades and C4 can certainly help you killing enemy armor - if you can get to them that closely that is. Certainly possible against any kind of vehicle, but you have to use the terrain for all its worth and attune your below-back barometer to reliably judge if that tank will see you or not.

Rocket lauchers are kind of wonky atm. You can certainly get A2A or A2G guided ones, but they are much more buggy than the default one. Decimator doesn't have that much advantage over others either (more damage per shot, one less shot you can carry, more projectile drop). Can be viable if you cert out Utility Pouch (HA version allows you to carry more rockets then by default), but don't quote me on this.

If you want to use medkits, remember that the one that heals over time will light you up very brightly at night.

Suit slot has such thing as Flak Armor - some (15-50%, if I remember right) protection against all splash damage. As things stand in the game now, it is the most popular one in any class, since every class and every vehicle has access to something explosive and players like to use explosions A LOT. (Direct hit from rockets and grenades would still be lethal though).

Default shield can be surprisingly good. You'll have to root about the forum for exact numbers, but to sum it up: + ~50% to your overall shield+hp value that drains either when you are hit or with time; your regular shield stops recharging and your movement speed slows down some; you light up in faction-specific colour; you can activate it before it fully recharges, but the starting value of the hp bonus will be correspondingly lower. It can help you survive firefights and falls from great heights. Don't recommend using it against tanks though - less movement speed and bright light on your figure WILL kill you.

Resist shield absorbs a constant percentage of the damage you recieve. One problem: the less hp you currently have, the less effective it is. So it is best used just before you start recieving damage. (Doesn't protect you from kinfe strikes and sniper rifles).

Well, that pretty much all I have to impart on the topic. Ask around, search the threads.
  4. RayDrazon

Thanks for replying.

What's the difference between restoration kits and medical kits?
    If I want an all-round rocket launcher, would the Annihilator be good?
    Would the laser sights be good for LMG's or is forward grip better?
    Is there any other difference between the Orion and the Pulsar LSW besides clip size?
    Should I consider the Flare? (Heard it was a good versatile weapon.)

If I only have limited amount of certs, which ones should I cert into first? I only have 500 certs available at the moment.
  5. NateTronic

i use the flare and honestly just upgrade the LSW as my fiully upgraded flare is better but not by as much as i spent on it. Forward grip is a must almost always. NV sight for any gun is almost manditory in my opinion unless you are fighting at extreme ranges (lights players up like christmas and the clear sight helps with staying on target).
    Get Pulsar for sure then save for the SVA-88. Default launcher is fine unless you are having trouble with air or armor then get the lock on launchers. Med kit is better since it heals you to full and doesnt take as long.
  6. LineTrap

What's the difference between restoration kits and medical kits?

My understanding is that they both heal around 80-85% of your health (maybe that's due to Resto or having Nanoweave armor on), but Resto kits heal over 6 seconds instead of instantly. I read that Med kits cost more resources, likely 100 vs 75 for Resto. If you've taken enough damage to warrant using a health kit, you're probably going to be hiding around a corner waiting for your shields to regen anyway. So why not go for the cheaper option?

If I want an all-round rocket launcher, would the Annihilator be good?

If by all-around you mean being able to lock-on and fire at air and ground vehicles at extreme ranges, yes. But you won't do enough damage to kill anything with it on your own. Also it has no dumbfire mode, so you can't use it to shoot a Max suit, or to quickly cripple a tank 10 feet from you, etc. It's a gimmicky weapon that is decent when fired in mass volleys, and it can scare off many vehicle drivers, because, well, lock-on beeps are scary.

Would the laser sights be good for LMG's or is forward grip better?

As I mentioned, I think grips are better for the kind of sustained mid-range firing LMGs lend themselves to.

Is there any other difference between the Orion and the Pulsar LSW besides clip size?
    Should I consider the Flare? (Heard it was a good versatile weapon.)

Compare them (and all the VS LMGs if you like) on the spreadsheet. The Orion shoots a little faster and you move faster when aiming down the sights. The LSW has a lot more of that sweet, sweet laser juice.

If I only have limited amount of certs, which ones should I cert into first? I only have 500 certs available at the moment.

Several ranks of Flak armor, a couple ranks in the health kit of your choice, several ranks in Nanite Mesh Generator, and a grip for your LMG are all pretty cheap and a great way to get started in Heavy Assault.
  7. Lawman

Nickel's worth of free advice. I have mouse wheel up bound to my LMG and mouse wheel down bound to C4/medical kit (depending on my loadout). i have my rocket launcher bound to another key. I'm always tinkering with my set up, but not these bindings. Everybody's different, but I thought I'd mention this since you're new to the class and are looking for ideas.
  8. NateTronic

dont upgrade nanite mesh its a waste of certs in the end. Either go for resist or adrenaline (my resist is at lvl 4 with nanoweave level 4 also and im a beast in any situation)
    • Up x 1