If your a Veteran looking for the Old PS?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Nov 20, 2012.

1. OneShadowWarrior

If your a Veteran Players looking for the flare of Old Planetside. Get ready for the disappoinments.

This one has the 3 empires, but nothing of the original. Just good graphics and 3 Empires is all that was carried thru.

It's a different game altogether with nothing of the original playstyle.
    • Up x 2
  2. ShadWulf

If you're a veteran looking for a game from 2003, you're crazy.

This game is superior to the original in almost every single way my friend.
    • Up x 5
  3. BadLlama

They have said from DAY 1 that they aren't simply redoing Planetside with new graphics. I guess you missed that memo.
    • Up x 3
  4. Fleabag

Thought nearly all of us beta-tested it anyway and pretty much formed our opinions of it back then? ;)
  5. Eyeklops

Speak for yourself. IMO:

Gunplay is better
    Graphics are better
    Customization and gun variety is better (sort of, HA weps still need fixed)
    Base Design is worse
    Core meta game is worse (which screws up lost of other things)
    Certification system is worse (which screws up lots of other things)
    Command system is worse (the ability for experienced players to direct the zerg is practically non-existent)
    Vehicular variety is worse

BUT...I will still play it because it's the only massive combined-arms FPS that does non-instanced persistent battles.
    • Up x 3
  6. TRman

go play Planetside1 then! I love ps2
    • Up x 1
  7. TeknoBug

I'm an old school FPS'er myself (since 1992 with Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem) and I haven't been liking the modern games lately, I'm the type that likes Call of Duty 4 Promod (no perks, no attachments, just straight up weapon & skill) and Planetside 1 was awesome, supposedly that game is going free 2 play soon so I'm probably going to be playing that. I beta tested PS2 (but didn't buy alpha squad) and it'll give me some entertainment for a couple months.

So for old school FPS there's Red Orchestra 1 & 2, Call of Duty 2, 4/promod and Counter-Strike 1.6/Source/GO.
  8. AzK

I'm curious about what kind of pops ps1 is going to get when/if it goes f2p, if they're decent i'll surely play that.

Ps2 is ok, but only in a bf3 kind of way, it gets very boring very fast, sticking to it like you could with the first game is pretty much impossible, for me at least anyway.

The fact that there are quite a few people here making posts instead of playing the game speaks for itself i believe.
  9. SBSAlbertino

I purchased alpha squad and can't be bothered to download the game, that's how bad I think it is.
  10. TeknoBug

Because half os us are getting the G37 error.
  11. Eyeklops

I am with you on this. If PS1 goes F2P I will certainly spend some time there. If the (single) PS1 server starts to get overloaded do you think they will add more servers again? It would be awesome if six months from now PS1 F2P has expanded back to 3 servers (east, west, euro).
  12. BadLlama

Don't be delusional. The only people that will play PS1 to any extent are the nerdy sperg's that whine about how PS2 isn't PS1 with better graphics. That's not enough people by any standard to see PS1 revitalized.
  13. Eyeklops

Thanks for your opinion.
  14. Freyar

Even as a fan of the original back in the day, the gunplay was horrible. Latency became a huge deciding factor and as a former (and potentially continuing) VS player, I always found myself at a major disadvantage. No, they've tightened up a good number of the mechanics here.
  15. BadLlama

I'll give you $100 via paypal if Planetside ever gets 3 servers again.
  16. AzK

You're misinformed. There's people who never even played ps1, only ps2, but they've seen videos and they'd rather play/try the first one.

Feel free to send free money my way via paypal aswell in case ps1 gets revitalized.
  17. AzK

I think it may get an euro server, so 2 total but not more than that and only if they find a way to actually put some microtransactions system in place to make some money out of it.. i have no doubt though that with f2p, if the single server we have now remained the only one, it would have several cont locks going at the same time at all hours.
  18. BadLlama

Hahaha keep living in the previous decade man. Its adorable.
  19. Sebulous

You should have seen tech test or even 1st half of beta, that was way worse than this. I like how people actually die here instead of shooting at person and they just duck behind hill and heal, because everyone carried glue gun and med packs.
  20. Vamperial

The only reason people that havn't played ps1 want to play it is because a few dozen vets were trolling the beta forums since day 1 because ps2 was not =/= ps1. That's what you and everyone else wanted. That's not what the devs ever said they were making or ever intended to make. I can make a good Planetside video and make my friends want to play it. Once they realize how old, clunky, and ******** the CSHD is along with strange game breaking bugs that the devs cant fix, it wont be worth their time. The only people that will play ps1 are the vets that think ps1 is the end all be all of FPSMMOs. They will be mistaken and I will laugh at everyone that cant see passed their rose tinted, nostalgic view of what once was. PS1 was a great time. PS2 will be a great time it just needs time like ps1 did to become great.