If you had your own PS2 server. What type of server would it be?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Firejack, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Firejack

For awhile now I've been feeling PS2's growth has been limited by the choice of servers. Having run game servers for other games I know how a few fine tweaks to a server can make the game much more enjoyable for players. Not everyone shares a singular vision on the perfect server setup.

Now I'm slightly jealous as I've learned that H1Z1 is going to have different types of servers and SOE are even asking for ideas on other type of servers players would like to see - https://twitter.com/H1Z1game/status/534782423050240001

Well if SOE wants ideas for H1Z1 servers, I see no reason not to give them ideas for potential new PS2 server types to widen the appeal of the game.

If you were the owner and server admin for a PS2 server, what type of server would you operate? (Some ideas.....)
    • Skirmish Mode - Simply a place for those who like smaller fights or have lower end hardware and would like to play without resorting to potato-mode graphics.
    • Vanilla Mode - Some like them, others hate them. I think its fair to say the Pumpkin and Snowmen events are not for everyone. Perhaps you'd run a server without all the seasonal events/ cosmetics.
    • Infantry only - Vehicles not your thing? No problem, disable them!
    • Transportside Mode - Fed up of Redeployside ruining you perfectly planned attack at the last second? Send all those redeploying back to the Warpgate to catch a Skywhale to the action.
    • Classic Alert Mode - A server with the old style AMP Station/ Tech Plant/ BioLab alerts.
    • Campaign Mode - Each empire fights until only 1 remains with total global domination.

... or something else? What would be your ideal server type?
    • Up x 5
  2. z1967

Shotguns only server:
    -Every weapon you can use is a shotgun
    -you can have a shotgun primary, a shotgun secondary, and a shotgun knife (just for infantry)
    -Tanks have shotguns
    -Libs have shotguns
    -these shotguns are ES, so don't worry your pretty little heads about faction equality
    -I am not kidding, even things like medkits work like shotguns (up to RNGesus on how much they heal you)
    -C4 shotguns
    -Tank cannon shotguns

Also known as: playing as NC
    • Up x 3
  3. BlueSkies

You forgot the shotguns that shoot smaller shotguns, that shoot even smaller shotguns
    • Up x 5
  4. FateJH

My first inclination was to talk about hardware; but, then I saw they were just talking about game modes.
  5. -MJ12-

I enjoy my skyguard and bursters, but a server without Air would be awesome.
    Maybe for troop transport only.

Owning the best shotgun doesn't mean you HAVE to only use it you know?
  6. z1967

shhh, they shotguns on *almost* every platform. They are the shotgun faction in a sense.
  7. -MJ12-

Maybe, but I am pretty sure I was able to use other weapons as well (MAX excluded) when I last played my NC Alt.
    A server with Shotguns only on the other hand wouldn't be fair for the VS/TR.
  8. SerasVic

"Can only spawn at warpgate" server

so many galaxys omg
    • Up x 3
  9. WarmasterRaptor

My own server ?

Guess I'll go with the current features we have.

Hard Spawns only at major facilities. Make uses of transports important.

AMS functional only for platoons/squads. (You better squad up buddy. Otherwise transport yourself)

Much higher flight ceiling. Let the flyboys fly dang it.

No XP on kills (only) but significant XP on captures in a fight you participated.
    Bonus for the capture XP by kill/death difference between the factions.
    • Up x 1
  10. Tommyp2006

It would be No cosmetics at all, no reinforcements needed. I would love to see this game the same way I saw it at release, nobody with cosmetics, everyone fighting as a unified looking army. And no reinforcements needed so everyone is forced to use some kind of transportation to get across the map.

And, everyone would have everything unlocked, so that there is an even playing field for all.
    • Up x 1
  11. Villanuk

My own server, ok.. Great thread BTW.

Kick pings above 120.

Indar only, its the most popular for a reason ( flame jacket on )

I would only allow a limited number of bases to be captured, so directing players into massive battles ( yes many on this forum may hate that idea, but then players like me joined PS2 because I like massive 96+ battles )

Admin mode, so I can watch ( 3rd person ) to see if players are hacking or using bugs and if so banned and reported to SOE.
    • Up x 4
  12. patrykK1028

"No jets, fast exp" server. Like in BF3 :p
    Or "FFA only". 200 people shooting each other :)
    And last one: "No NC" server.
    Oh, and I forgot "HC server". 300hp only, vehicles having only 30% hp too
    • Up x 1
  13. Whatupwidat

Vehicle only Esamir...it'd be amazing.
    • Up x 2
  14. Firejack

I think there is definitely room for some novelty servers. Even if for one night, I could see people having a lot of fun with Beamer Only or Flash Only servers.

I think this is something a lot of people would like to see more control of. I've seen so many people get frustrated with high ping/ packetloss players they've quit. I'm sure people would like to play with just players geographically near to them. Even if it meant lower populations.

Must admit I'd like to see this too. Had so many good Sundy Trains on Esamir over the last 2 years. Seen some incredible tank/air battles especially over the frozen lakes too. Only for them to end when faced with the high walls around the bases. More vehicle battles would be great!
    • Up x 1
  15. Alarox

A server where ESFs have no A2G weapons.
    • Up x 1
  16. Prudentia

Hexsystemserver
    oh the days where there where large battles... and not just battles the same size a 4v4 but with 200players per side... *sigh*
  17. ajma

I would replace guns with fluffy animals that shoot poop at very low velocities.
  18. eldarfalcongravtank

i can already see it coming...

>>>PRON00BS HIGBY-HUNTAZ;;24/7 CROWN ONLY;;DAY-TIME SERVER;;ALL WELCOME;;FAST-XP;;KICK-FOR-MEMBERS;;NO ROCKET-PRIMARY/GRENADES/C4/VEHICLES/SNIPERS/MAXES OR KICK;;ADMIN CAN USE MAX/SNIPER/EXPLOSIVE;;;<<<

:confused:
    • Up x 1
  19. toast2250

First of all you would need a lot of players and hardware since playing small scale in this game is a no go.

Then I honestly wouldn't want to have one since its missing quite some of the of key features, some bug fixes, performance,.. which is just insane amounts of work.

Its like a giant gas guzzler that does low millage with high fuel consumption.

I would rather prefer nifty and interesting minor features/tweaks to it than to go overboard with the values.

Things like, ripped of models from some other games, tweaks to resistance values, ammo magazine sizes xx/xxx, speed, traction, could probably reduce sun light shining brightness, change the spawn room map location, more or less capture points, resources would tied a lot more to the gameplay, fun values with implants, spawn a super tank if you are underpopulated or zerged etc etc,..

Missing features like continental lattice, alerts where gaint ships/tanks or something outstanding happens/spawns, advanced mission's, resource system with convoys/generators/production,.. without this the game is less worth.
  20. RasFW

Next time I play NC, I'm going to hang out the side of a valkyrie with a Jackhammer and see if I can't do any hit and runs.