[Suggestion] If Lightnings could be dropped by Galaxies for "Lightning Strikes".

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Solvayn, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Solvayn

So one of the biggest jokes about Galaxies is that they are usually dumped as soon as players get over to a spawnpoint, with players having little incentive to cert them for anything other than a repair galaxy when a bastion is around for ESF Aircraft.

So my proposal is to give more utility to the Galaxy by adding an option that can allow the Galaxy to spawn with a Lightning inside the bay and not needing all of the internal infantry transport space and using that empty space, which in my experience is rarely ever fully utilized. To drop something to provide airbourne support. And the Galaxy can load up a new Lightning when it lands at an airpad or a specialized loading dock. You could expand this for the Valkyrie technically for dropping a quad. Plus I like the idea where "Lightning Strikes" happen when galaxies are flying overhead, dropping platoons worth of Lightnings behind the front line to cause havoc.

What do you think?
  2. Demigan

I think it would be too time consuming. PS2 isn't a milsim with slow gameplay, its much more fast-paced.

Instead I would make the Galaxy a pocket base. Allow players to deploy it on the ground and spawn vehicles like the Lightning. You can make it cost nanites, or reduce the cost with cortium (no free vehicles by using pure cortium).
    While deployed it could also function as a spawn. But it would need to be disallowed to deploy inside base perimiters due to that being far more powerful and useful than sunderers.

That means that after a gal drop the pilot would not dump it, but set it down nearby as player+vehicle spawn. Defenders would also be able to place harder to control vehicle spawns to fight off the attacker vehicle superiority.
  3. RabidIBM

I like the idea of deploy when landed. it's not like it could be tucked into weird places.

Oh, and there's more than one upgrade which is worth getting, don't forget racer chasis so you can abandon it sooner!
    • Up x 1
  4. LodeTria

Sounds like free c4 kills to me. A tank in a base usually doesn't last long.
    Using it to put tanks in the field is pointless when you can just infil hack a terminal behind an enemy to achive the same result, faster.
  5. Demigan

It offers more control of where and how you place it and is not reliant on the player moving behind enemy lines after each death to place one.

Take a fight near indars Rock Mesa base. Being able to lift a lightning up/down the cliffs or passed the bridges would be a powerful tool, if an exceedingly slow one and far too easily detected and shot down.

That is why I suggested a deployable Galaxy. It offers a spawn to get more players there quickly, it offers the option to circumvent chokepoints, it does not rely on a vehicle terminal someone might destroy on purpose once they find out its hacked and it lets you use more terrain in the game.

Although I would limit the spawnable vehicles to Flashes, Harassers and Lightnings. With maybe an ANT as well. That way it does not make bringing Sunderers too easy and offers mostly a transport/combat vehicle advantage.
    • Up x 1
  6. Botji

I wonder if it would be too much work to get the outfit vehicle drop stuff to work with a Galaxy?
    So what I mean is when you select the galaxy as a spawn point you can also select which vehicle to spawn like with bases(limited to the above ofc) and when you spawn you get dropped down in one of those vehicle crates, vulnerable to being a easy kill but like 2-3 seconds after hitting the ground your actual vehicle spawns with you in it.

Would give the Galaxy some freedom instead of being deployed while discouraging 'bombing' enemies with vehicles since it would be suicide to drop down too close to any vehicle or even a bunch of infantry.

Either way I dont really see it being used that much, deployed or not since it would be limited on what vehicles you can get and still requires someone to actually bring a Galaxy first meaning its probably only semi organized groups that would bother with it but what groups would make us of mass pulling Flash/Harasser or even Lightnings in this way?

I guess some outfits would use it to pull of flanks on some parts of the map and continent but it would be yet another of those features that 90% of the playerbase wont really get to make use of.

I like the idea of giving the Galaxy some more purpose but moving or spawning vehicles would have to be so limited it would make it mostly useless. I am more in favour of adding/changing the ammo/repair/anti lock-on module to give it a active ability of spawning something like a stationary object with the effect so they can move around and place those out either in the air or closer to the ground depending on what they are supporting without actually having to 'hover' around in the open soaking up endless AA fire.
  7. Demigan

I dont think it would be useless at all or only see use for organized groups. I also think that with proper spawn rules it would be used by many many players. Especially as a defensive pocket base so defenders can spawn vehicles more safely it would be a great asset and used a lot if the spawnrules make it as easy to spawn there as at the local base.

The best part is that it only requires one person to start this. The Flashes would be a cheap way to transport the player away from the Galaxy, the Harasser and Lightning would both be powerful tools in any flanking attack.
    Even if this becomes like a well-placed Stealth Sunderer, where only a few realize its value and spawn there, it would still be a massively powerful tool. Like with stealth sunderers it would basically filter out people who just want to rush into combat and let people who understand its purpose and power spawn there. Even just 2 Lightnings from a well placed position can decimate an enemy tank column especially if you've essentially sifted out the gung-ho players.
  8. Talthos

9. Hereyagoboom

Bring back the Lodestar or make that door on the bottom of the galaxy functional.