Icarus seriously lacks forward momentum

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Codex561, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Codex561

I play LA most of the time. Even exclusively the last few days. I maxed out Icarus the day I came back to the game because why not, sounded sweet from what I heard from PS1 vets. But it actually isn't. Sure it CAN have some uses but overall lacking.

I understand the logic behind this though:

Jet Pack/Vertical Momentum/Horizontal momentum
    Drifters Low High
    Jumpjets Medium Medium
    Icarus High Low

And this is PERFECTLY reasonable. However the low for Icarus is a bit too low imho...

Often times I won't be able to get onto something right in front of me and then fall to be death. To add insult to injury, Icarus also kills EXISTING momentum which sort of very much goes against basic physics.
  2. DooDooBreff

icarus lacks forward momentum by design.....

use VR training.

buyer beware
  3. RainbowDash9

i use nothing but icarus. ive never had a issue with it, i just start my boost closer to what i want to get on top of. i also go sideways and stop halfway and let momentum carry me a bit.
  4. Pikachu

Icaeus lacks upward movdment too. Its reach is LESS than jump jet and it can protect from free fall. Its not fast enough up either.
  5. pnkdth

I like the icarus but it is more situational than the standard jump jets(which should surprise no one). If you're going to treat the Icarus as the standard JJs then, uh, use the standard JJs.

Bases with a vertical element to them, icarus JJs are amazing. You can gain extra momentum but jumping before activating, also you should let go a little bit before you intend to land since you will still go a bit further due to the vertical momentum.

The Icarus JJ could use a bit more fuel though.
    • Up x 1
  6. Crayv

It's bad that it also has the worst "braking" of of the jets. If you want to stop yourself from a long fall, you better time it perfectly as it will take your entire charge. While drifters have the strongest, just tap the button and you nearly instantly come to a halt.
    Don't forget to take into account the duration.

Icarus needs to have the same horizontal movement of Jumpjets or the same duration.
  7. Azawarau

I can see alot of use for it but nothing will pull me from drifters to test it