Icarus Jumpjets Reviewed in 5 seconds... and 90 seconds >.>

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by belthazor3457, Feb 28, 2015.

1. belthazor3457

*yawns* Icarus JJ review. There you go. Now give me ad revenue. -_-

What do you mean you want more info to watch it?

Fiiiiiine.

Level one is pretty effective on the scale of icarus-ness, so for a 50 cert buy-in that's fairly cheap and a good way to tell if you'd like to upgrade it or use it frequently (however actually upgrading it is quite pricy). That said, it can only be described as a "one-trick-pony" because its versatility is extremely limited - to the extent that it is slower at basic hill-climbing. That said, its one trick is fairly useful, if in appropriate circumstances. Those circumstances are fortified bases with lots of buildings to hop ontop of and similarly vertical environments; the Icarus has extremely limited flight time, fall damage mitigation, and horizontal movement - but offers fast enough vertical movement to extract a LA safely from what otherwise would be a C4 suicide bomb / shotgun fight, etc.

Primary utility is anti infantry. Limited AV utility (planting C4 then jetting into the air isn't as safe as hovering above much of the time, most vehicle kills you may feel "I could've done that more safely with a different jumpjet" etc. and as a consequence it is a heavily playstyle-dependent equipment item).

Da Verdict: While it is a one-trick-pony, it's a nice trick to have - if it's right for you.
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

I have a strong hunch that Icarus is not as bad for fall damage mitigation as people say, we just have to use them properly - start jetting earlier. Icarus don't have enough fuel capacity to slow down a long fall in one burst, but fuel recharge rate is so fast that it's possible to do multiple bursts during the fall.

I'll know more once I do some tests.
  3. Iridar51

Nope, I was wrong. The highest altitude you can jump from with Icarus and survive is around 75m. You will still probably take nearly fatal damage. Haven't tested the "no damage taken" altitude. My guess it's probably around 60m.
    • Up x 1
  4. Leivve

Taking one for the team. We salute you sir!
  5. UnDeaD_CyBorG

The most disappointing thing about them is the low horizontal topspeed.
    Where, with other jets, you can keep a certain amount of momentum, Icarus jets feel like they actively break you.
    I'd much prefer regular groundspeed as the horizontal cap, not changing the actual thrust; It'd allow a bit of leeway with a sprintig start. Otherwise, between these and Drifters, I don't really use regular Jets anymore.
    As for Fall damage mitigation, they could offer 50% more thrust until at 25% max vertical velocity (in the intended direction natch), thus improving vertical braking.
  6. TheMercator

They work very well with PA or other short range weapons under the premise, that your team has decent reconaisance. There extreme vertical acceleration makes it possible to jump over a wall, kill some enemies and jump back before other people can react. They also minimize the dangerous in-air time you would have with normal jumpjets.
  7. Magma52

I like them and pretty much maxed them straight away.

The near lack of horizontal propulsion makes things a little difficult if you need to just get onto a roof and away from somebody shooting you; you can boost up very quickly, and that's great, but you will linger at the top for a second as you actually move horizontally and get your feet onto the roof. It seems that the best thing to do is sprint to towards the building and then use that horizontal momentum to boost onto the roof along a diagonal path.

Nice to have new content and I think this is a good one ;)
  8. Problem Officer

There is no limit to survivable height as far as I've tested, from VR ceiling with proper timing at best you will lose 2/3 shield.
    From continent ceiling, equip a safe fall implant and brake in several stages then with a full bar before you hit the ground.
    afaik for air time you can fit 7 upward thrusts into 1 jump from the ground.
    edit- got that up to 12! (bouncing upwards midair via jets after jumping) Takes lag into account but you can "hover" for some time.
  9. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Exactly that is what I'd like to do, but it's just not possible.
    Icarus Jets seem to actively break, I sprint with Adrenal Pump and would reach the building wall in less than 2 seconds, I jet up, and at the requisite height (after about 1.5 seconds) I'm still over a second away from the building.
    That's why I advocate for a higher horizontal speed limit, so you can keep that momentum without building any yourself.
  10. Magma52

I would love that too...but I imagine they would have to trade it off with lower vertical acceleration. But hey, if they can do that with no trade off I would be very happy!
  11. Demigan

I don't think the Icarus is "good content" for the LA in any way. The LA has only jumpjets as it's tools and a good affinity with C4. It needs tools, equipment, gadgets and abilities alongside the Jumpjets! I mean, what's wrong with an activatable stability booster that gives you a much smaller MAX COF, which can shortly be used for strafing battles or when you want better accuracy while flying? By keeping the maximum time it can be active low you can make sure it's not OP.
    And there's a ton more idea's you can do. Goggles, booster packs, teleport devices to replace Jumpjets, weapons to disable or hamper vehicles, etc.