Icarus JJ

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by chaoswurm, Dec 4, 2012.

1. chaoswurm

Remember the concept for these things? They removed it because, honestly, they weren't different than the default jump jets. Just more powerful.

Here's a revamped idea for these things. Why not make them double jump? Instead of continuous thrust, it pretty much burst accelerates you up enough distance for about .7 the height of a full load of default JJ. no upgrade JJ can get you up base walls, and just barely make it to the roof of a 2 story building, but it's slow.

These new Icarus JJ would get you to the second floor balcony like a double jump. It activates when you press jump in mid-air, and uses up half your JJ tank. Also, it would not regenerate on it's own. You would need to resupply like ammo, so Engineer ammo packs would refill it.

Situations: Adv - jump out of the way if surprised. Get to a specific spot much more safely if the area is hot.
    Much safer landing when falling to your death.
    Dis - the lack of regeneration is a SERIOUS detriment. It limits your mobility to only when you really need it. When assaulting a tower, you would need to use both charges to get to the 2nd floor from the ground. From there, you can flank, but you'll be less useful than if you just used standard.

It's late enough that i can't think of any more situations for advantage/disadvantage right now. I'll add more to that later. But the core premise is up there, so....DISCUSS.
  2. Achmed20

thats not why they removed them.
    they gave tons of upwards momentum and that pretty fast. but game has some serious issues with speed an multiple people reported
    that their chars lagged/bugged out/<insert random bug>

for the double jump idea ... cant say i like it at all. thats seems like a downgrade with zero benefits . why would i double jump anywhere if i could just fly? if i missed th benefits then pelase point me into the rigth direction :)
    especialy the non recharge on its own thing makes zero sense. LA suck without mobility and make them come back to engie every 10 seconds wont do any1 any good beside the engie for XP. i could just roll a HA then and probably have more use.
  3. chaoswurm

Just an idea. Didn't say it was a legitimate idea. And you're probably right about the no-recharge part.
  4. Meiu

Make Icarus packs like the jumpacks from Warhammer40k. Oh baby.
  5. Gunnisson

Give Icarus packs a charging period, so you're standing on the otherside of a AMP wall, hold spacebar, it charges over a set time you want it to, then jumps you upwards with no control after that aside from direction. I dunno, throwing ideas at the wall here.
  6. Chammers

I was thinking of something similar actually. A high-powered thrust that goes in the direction you aim. Effectively catapulting yourself, with the drawback being no control once you're airborne. If you aim well, you're behind enemy lines. Aim bad, you're a stain on the wall.